• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC ****s all over the game again - UDRS no longer mandatory

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
go eat your indian food ****

But yeah if the ICC aren't gonna deem it mandatory there may as well deem it illegal. Complete joke to have two umpiring systems in place imo

Last edited:

benchmark00

I don't even like DRS, let alone one which doesn't have snicko, so I can live with it.

Y'all mad?

jan

State Vice-Captain
Probably gonna change at least once more before the end of the year, right?

Spikey

"DRS to be mandatory every second month of the year except for the third and sixth second months in a year"

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pathetically predictable. They could have at least been honest and said "it's mandatory for everyone except India."

Benchy, what exactly is your beef with DRS? There was some absolutely atrocious umpiring in the Ashes. It's barely remembered because pretty much every terrible decision was corrected.

benchmark00

And there was terrible umpiring that wasn't overturned by UDRS, but that's not my problem.

My 'problem' is two pronged:

A) I'm a traditionalist, I enjoy the controversies that an incorrect decision brings, the talking points it raises. I never had a problem watching cricket before Hawkeye was invented, and I still don't without UDRS.

B) The fact that they're hell bent on using technology such as Hawkeye for the purpose of getting decisions correct, but still shunning the most reliable piece of equipment, snicko. It just puts the whole credibility of the system into jeopardy.

I'm not completely against the Hawkeye element where it shows where it pitches because that is close to fact, as it has actually happened (works well in tennis). I don't like the predictive element and I never have. See Phil Hughes' joke of an LBW decision in the Sri Lanka series for reference.

I'm of the firm belief that the answer to fixing bad umpiring is not minimising their influence on the game, it's getting better umpires.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
See, I'd much rather have a system that reduces as far as possible the ability of an umpire to influence the outcome of the game.

The ICC has a very good panel of umpires which gets the vast majority of decisions correct. I don't see the issue with using technology to get as many decisions as possible correct - after all, no umpire wants to be making mistakes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not completely against the Hawkeye element where it shows where it pitches because that is close to fact, as it has actually happened (works well in tennis). I don't like the predictive element and I never have. See Phil Hughes' joke of an LBW decision in the Sri Lanka series for reference.
So your example against the use of Hawkeye in UDRS is one where if there hadn't been UDRS the same decision would've been made.

benchmark00

See, I'd much rather have a system that reduces as far as possible the ability of an umpire to influence the outcome of the game.

The ICC has a very good panel of umpires which gets the vast majority of decisions correct. I don't see the issue with using technology to get as many decisions as possible correct - after all, no umpire wants to be making mistakes.
No batsman wants to make a mistake either, but they make up the portrait of test cricket.

May as well have perfect robots playing the game.

Cricket is not an exact science. It's not a series of numbers, even though there are many on this forum that wish it was. It's the imperfections which add to its beauty.