• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Hadlee - Poll Added

Who was the better Test bowler?

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Democratic indeed! Great side nonetheless mate - very, very strong, thanks for sharing it. :)
i would choose a player from each of the 10 teams and have bradman at 3.

hobbs, gavaskar, bradman, kallis, flower (wk), sobers, shakib al hasan, imran, hadlee, warne, murali.

as for the thread topic, i am trying to imagine what a world class batsman from the 70s and 80s would have thought if he were asked to choose between hadlee and marshall. the gavaskars, richardses, miandads, borders and gowers of that era faced both of them quite extensively. my guess is, not even one of them would have the heart to place one above the other for both were best of the very best the game of cricket has ever seen. i would not want to split them using silly stats

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wish I had've asked Larry Gomes when he played for my team your question B. Instead I just asked him who was the quickest he had faced.

"Hadlee is fast, Willis is fast, Lillee is fast - they are all just fast". So given he wouldn't split these people on speed probably he wouldn't have split them on skill either. But I will never know I guess.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
why did armyguy get banned? his comments were not offensive. at least, no more than that of many on here.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Poll result again seems fairly definitive, dont think the margin between the players are quite as large as the results showed, but there is a clear advantage that MM has over Hadlee.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
don't think that Marshall could do everything Hadlee could do - I think Hadlee could get the ball to seam more I suspect. (This maybe from watching him on NZ pitches it is true) - I also think Hadlee was more cunning.

Hadlee's leg cutter was devastating.

The fact that Marshall could swing it at a higher pace and was no mug from a strategy perspective has won him the poll however.