• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So which English bowler will hit the 400 mark first?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would be very very surprised if Anderson got to 400 wickets. I would say he only has maybe a couple of good years left, he's already hit his prime and the only way for him to go from here is down unfortunately. I'd be very surprised if hes still playing for England past his 33rd birthday, even if he is, hes not likely to be taking the kind of wickets away from home thats required to get to 400.

A bowler like Broad has a higher chance simply because hes more likely to take wickets all over the world. Though one suspects that with Broad there are things like injuries that will probably impede his progress.
All kinds of fail in this post. I'll deal with the two major fail areas.

Anderson is 28 and entering his peak years. Another 2 years like the 2 years he's just had and he's on the verge of 400.

Broad being more likely to take wickets all over the world has absolutely no basis in any sort of reality at all.

tooextracool

International Coach

Anderson is 28 and entering his peak years. Another 2 years like the 2 years he's just had and he's on the verge of 400.

Broad being more likely to take wickets all over the world has absolutely no basis in any sort of reality at all.
Firstly, hes 29. Secondly, we're not talking about age. He's physically at the peak of his powers at the moment. The reality is that we've got multiple tours of the subcontinent coming up and no matter how optimistic you want to be, the reality is that he's not going to take wickets at the kind of rate he has been taking over the last year and a half. Thats because hes not going to get the kind of batsmen that turned up in the summer of 2010. In addition, we need to recognize his limitations as a bowler and to some extent we saw it this summer when he looked quite mediocre when his pace was down. My personal opinion is that once his pace goes, he'll be out of the side and I wouldnt be surprised if that happened within the next 3 years.

As far as Broad is concerned, the reasoning behind that statement has to do with the fact that Broad is several inches taller than Anderson and makes full use of his height in his bowling action. Ultimately, for the purposes of longevity, Broad has the tools to survive longer and take wickets all over the world. Whether he realizes that or not is perhaps another story.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

No, he won't. If his next two years are like his last two years and he gets to play majority of tests @ home then he may be on the verge of 350.

Jacknife

International Captain
Firstly, hes 29. Secondly, we're not talking about age. He's physically at the peak of his powers at the moment. The reality is that we've got multiple tours of the subcontinent coming up and no matter how optimistic you want to be, the reality is that he's not going to take wickets at the kind of rate he has been taking over the last year and a half. Thats because hes not going to get the kind of batsmen that turned up in the summer of 2010. In addition, we need to recognize his limitations as a bowler and to some extent we saw it this summer when he looked quite mediocre when his pace was down. My personal opinion is that once his pace goes, he'll be out of the side and I wouldnt be surprised if that happened within the next 3 years.

As far as Broad is concerned, the reasoning behind that statement has to do with the fact that Broad is several inches taller than Anderson and makes full use of his height in his bowling action. Ultimately, for the purposes of longevity, Broad has the tools to survive longer and take wickets all over the world. Whether he realizes that or not is perhaps another story.
Don't agree with much of that but the main point being you think he'll be done and dusted and out of the side by the time he's 31/32, which tbh because of the kind of bowler he is and not so reliant on pace and more on the skill of swinging the ball both ways, he'll go on for longer. I personally think he'll bowl for another 5 years or so, injuries permitting.

He's said himself and it's been obvious watching him bowl the last couple of years, he's dropped his pace down & bowled off shorter runs ups, which along with him maturing has seen him develop into a much more well rounded bowler. He simply has better control than before and when you watch bowl in the one day stuff you can see he can crank the speed up to the upper 80's if he wants.

There's still going to be plenty of relatively poor teams to play, even though you say that he won't be facing sides like he faced in 2010, the facts are there are a lot of players around who just can't play swing bowling . The chances are, if he keeps to similar levels as he is, he should get his average down into the 20's. Yes we've got some tours in the sub continent, where he may or may not take wickets at the rate he has been doing but we still play lots of cricket in England every summer.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmmm... whilst he's not a pace-reliant bowler per se, I can see where the argument that he'll wane a bit as he ages comes from. He's not pace-reliant in that he uses pace as a weapon, but watching him a lot I've sort of been able to tell when he's bowling well/not well by the "zip" he gets off the pitch. This isn't necessarily about the amount of movement he gets - I've seen him move it ridiculous amounts without really bowling all that well. At his best he gets the ball to "dart" sharply off the pitch - not seam movement, it's more subtle than that - and the batsmen always appears to have a little less time than they think to play their shots, move their feet etc.

If he slows down a little as he gets into his 30s he might struggle a bit more to consistently bowl spells with that "zip" and hence he might start to lose some effectiveness.

I do think he'll hit 400 though. He's a quality bowler nowadays.

Jacknife

International Captain
Hmmm... whilst he's not a pace-reliant bowler per se, I can see where the argument that he'll wane a bit as he ages comes from. He's not pace-reliant in that he uses pace as a weapon, but watching him a lot I've sort of been able to tell when he's bowling well/not well by the "zip" he gets off the pitch. This isn't necessarily about the amount of movement he gets - I've seen him move it ridiculous amounts without really bowling all that well. At his best he gets the ball to "dart" sharply off the pitch - not seam movement, it's more subtle than that - and the batsmen always appears to have a little less time than they think to play their shots, move their feet etc.

If he slows down a little as he gets into his 30s he might struggle a bit more to consistently bowl spells with that "zip" and hence he might start to lose some effectiveness.

I do think he'll hit 400 though. He's a quality bowler nowadays.
Yes so can I, just don't agree he'll have lost his pace and be out of the side within 3 years, I think it will be longer before he gets to that stage.
I don't think he'll go the root of someone like Hoggard, who was deemed to have lost his nip and out of the side by the time he was 31.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah just have to look at the two of them to see the difference between Jimmy and dear old Hoggard, see no reason for Jimmy to lose pace in the next 2 or 3 years with the sensible management that England provide these days, would be happy to see him retire from ODIs though.

Things can change very quickly but see no reason why he can't reach 400, Swann still not an impossibility either.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Chances are that Swann will have to carry on bowling until he's about 37 or 38 if he wants to get there. I know he's a late bloomer but that's pushing it, surely?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing at that age is far from unusual for a spinner, he does put a lot into his delivery but has no long term injury threats at the moment. Obviously a lot depends on form and fitness and of course if he gets stiff competition for places but think he has got at least an outside chance.

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah just have to look at the two of them to see the difference between Jimmy and dear old Hoggard, see no reason for Jimmy to lose pace in the next 2 or 3 years with the sensible management that England provide these days, would be happy to see him retire from ODIs though.

Things can change very quickly but see no reason why he can't reach 400, Swann still not an impossibility either.
I always wondered why Anderson has such a low percentage of lbws 10.8% (not long ago it was as low as 7% of his wickets) compared to say Hoggard 26.2%.

As for Anderson's pace he used to bowl at 88 thoughout a Test but has brought it down to 82-85 where it will probably stay.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy may get there but to be honest we all probably thought a few years back when Hoggard and Harmison went past 200 wickets that they would reach 300. Things can change very quickly.

As for Broad and Finn, they are young enough but need luck with injuries.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would be very very surprised if Anderson got to 400 wickets. I would say he only has maybe a couple of good years left, he's already hit his prime and the only way for him to go from here is down unfortunately. I'd be very surprised if hes still playing for England past his 33rd birthday, even if he is, hes not likely to be taking the kind of wickets away from home thats required to get to 400.

A bowler like Broad has a higher chance simply because hes more likely to take wickets all over the world. Though one suspects that with Broad there are things like injuries that will probably impede his progress.
Heh