• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So which English bowler will hit the 400 mark first?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
every country has a bona fida legend at the 400+ mark, england will have jimmykins?
'Cept India, obvz.

Kapil might've been a great all-rounder, but falls short of legendary status on the bowling front.

Anyway, Anderson must have a sporting chance. Won't be 30 til next year, so should have a few good miles left in those legs yet. Is also a natural athlete, lean but wiry & flexible with it, so shouldn't struggle with wear and tear injuries quite as much as some of his brethren.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Kapil might've been a great all-rounder, but falls short of legendary status on the bowling front.
whatever, in a different league to jimmy.

to be more blunt, anderson would be by far the worst name on that list.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
whatever, in a different league to jimmy.

to be more blunt, anderson would be by far the worst name on that list.
That's ridiculously presumable. If he actually got to 400 who knows how much longer it would take and how much more he'd have achieved by then - if he continued at the rate he's been taking them for the last 2 years then that average would keep on dropping and he could be considered with the likes of Dev and Kumble, or possibly even better. Who knows, that's the point.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Far worse than Harbhajan...?

yes, bhaji has some notable achievements/stats to his name, as well as being a more consistent performer, nothing breath taking i would say, but significantly better than anderson.

the fact is anderson has been closer to dog poo than the dogs bo**** for most of his career and you cant ignore the majority of his career, a disingenuous argument, it will be one of those records you get just by virtue of playing long enough, a bit like bhajji but atleast hbhajji has been a better performer for longer.

plus, its different comparing quicks and spinners, if you want to be picky then anderson would be the worst quick by far, but its a desperate argument to compare a quick to a spinner in the first place :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
You appear to be arguing that with Anderson having only taken 240 wickets, he is far worse than any bowler to have taken 400 wickets.

What most of us are suggesting is that a further 160 or so wickets may be worth something rather significant, considering that most bowlers don't make it to 160 wickets in their entire careers.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
You appear to be arguing that with Anderson having only taken 240 wickets, he is far worse than any bowler to have taken 400 wickets.
thats obvious.

what i am actually saying that should he reach that landmark he would be the worst bowler in that list, based on his overall career and his relative abilities (i am assuming he wont improve so drastically that people will consider him as good as mcgrath or akram), fair comment?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
'Cept India, obvz.

Anyway, Anderson must have a sporting chance. Won't be 30 til next year, so should have a few good miles left in those legs yet. Is also a natural athlete, lean but wiry & flexible with it, so shouldn't struggle with wear and tear injuries quite as much as some of his brethren.
Kumble?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
thats obvious.

what i am actually saying that should he reach that landmark he would be the worst bowler in that list, based on his overall career and his relative abilities (i am assuming he wont improve so drastically that people will consider him as good as mcgrath or akram), fair comment?
No. Not a fair comment, no one is comparing him to McGrath or Akram. We are saying that should he get to 400 he may well have shown a consistency of performance that elevates him to Kumble or Dev status, for example. Nobody is stating that, at this time, he is near that category, but this is such as presumptuous scenario that to flat out call him the worst bowler in that list is ridiculous.

You clearly have some sort of agenda against Jimmy so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
thats obvious.

Harbhajan Singh is on that list.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
No. Not a fair comment, no one is comparing him to McGrath or Akram. We are saying that should he get to 400 he may well have shown a consistency of performance that elevates him to Kumble or Dev status, for example. Nobody is stating that, at this time, he is near that category, but this is such as presumptuous scenario that to flat out call him the worst bowler in that list is ridiculous.

You clearly have some sort of agenda against Jimmy so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you.
selective bordering on mischievous.

you dont normally compare a quick to a spinner, yet here you are comparing anderson to kumble?

in any case kumble is obviously a better spinner than anderson is a quick bowler, fair comment? so you fail on your own criteria.

and anderson has been decent for about 2 years max, if he makes the record in the next couple of years we are talking about a period of 5 years where he is somewhat decent, thats really nothing to shout about, a lot of cricket is played these days, ample opportunities to break records.

just take of the blinkers, look at the names on the list and tell me, does he belong?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
selective bordering on mischievous.

you dont normally compare a quick to a spinner, yet here you are comparing anderson to kumble?

in any case kumble is obviously a better spinner than anderson is a quick bowler, fair comment? so you fail on your own criteria.

and anderson has been decent for about 2 years max, if he makes the record in the next couple of years we are talking about a period of 5 years where he is somewhat decent, thats really nothing to shout about, a lot of cricket is played these days, ample opportunities to break records.

just take of the blinkers, look at the names on the list and tell me, does he belong?
You clearly have no concept of what I am arguing.

Go back and the read the posts carefully because I have nothing more to say.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If Jimmy gets 400 wickets he belongs on the list of bowlers to get 400 wickets. :unsure:

Anyway, Jimmy's great. He's certainly picking off bowlers on the 'best ever from England' list as time goes by.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
You clearly have no concept of what I am arguing.

Go back and the read the posts carefully because I have nothing more to say.
your argument is a simple extrapolation.

well i am telling you even if you extrapolate a best case scenario out for anderson you are still wrong to say anderson can be regarded to truly belong in the same list.

its quite simple.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
your argument is a simple extrapolation.

well i am telling you even if you extrapolate a best case scenario out for anderson you are still wrong to say anderson can be regarded to truly belong in the same list.

its quite simple.
No it isn't. Yours is an extrapolation. You are claiming that even if he gets to 400 wickets, he will be the worst bowler to have done so. I am claiming that you have no way of saying so considering it is such a presumptuous scenario, not once have I said he is, or will be, in the class of Kumble and/or Dev - I have merely suggested it is a possibility in a presumptuous scenario. Read back my posts and you should realise that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Would be very very surprised if Anderson got to 400 wickets. I would say he only has maybe a couple of good years left, he's already hit his prime and the only way for him to go from here is down unfortunately. I'd be very surprised if hes still playing for England past his 33rd birthday, even if he is, hes not likely to be taking the kind of wickets away from home thats required to get to 400.

A bowler like Broad has a higher chance simply because hes more likely to take wickets all over the world. Though one suspects that with Broad there are things like injuries that will probably impede his progress.