• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So which English bowler will hit the 400 mark first?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I don't think Steyn will get anywhere near 500. Hope I am wrong as he is brilliant to watch but his injury record over the last 3 years or so inspires no confidence whatsoever.

Borges

International Regular
It is one of the great tragedies of test cricket that Steyn has been so injury prone. Still, the greatest quick bowler of the post Marshal era.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Rabada is likeliest for sure. Hope SA play enough games and he doesn't get injured.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, that article seems to be overestimating how long these guys will go on, particularly the all format bowlers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anderson has been an utter freak in terms of not being injured. In the last 10 years I can't think of many tests he's missed through injury.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd be massively impressed if even half of the lads mentioned broke 400 wickets.
I'd be impressed if any of them do so. There's a reason hardly anyone in history has made 400 and it's not as simple as going 'well Rabada has 150 now so if we extrapolate he can get 650'.

Groundking

International Debutant
I'd be impressed if any of them do so. There's a reason hardly anyone in history has made 400 and it's not as simple as going 'well Rabada has 150 now so if we extrapolate he can get 650'.
I think Rabada and Hazlewood will, and if New Zealand play enough tests I think Boult would, but obviously the need to up the number of tests played.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're relying on Rabada being never injured. He's a fast bowler, they get injured al the time. Hazlewood is injured right now as well.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
To be honest, that article seems to be overestimating how long these guys will go on, particularly the all format bowlers.
Yeh I guess they're looking best case scenario.

Just as likely that any of them will break down at any moment. You basically have to get to 100 tests to take 400 wickets, and plenty of high quality quicks either break down or have lost the edge they once had by the time they get to 60-80 tests

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Rabada has been pretty durable so far, not had much to worry about injury wise. Here in Australia on the other hand, all the predictions on fast bowler career longevity seem highly optimistic

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh I guess they're looking best case scenario.

Just as likely that any of them will break down at any moment. You basically have to get to 100 tests to take 400 wickets, and plenty of high quality quicks either break down or have lost the edge they once had by the time they get to 60-80 tests
Yes, the article is looking at the best case scenario. Worst case or average case, no one can make it just like Mcgrath predicted. As of now, only Rabada stands a chance. Steyn if I remember right was actually quite fit till the later stages of his career. He started getting injuries only recently. Full marks to Anderson in this regard. Not easy for a fast bowler to remain fit throughout his career. Should be the rarest of cases.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
England is the only top 8 side without a bowler who has hit the 400 mark, can any of the current lot do it?
For the amount of test cricket they play, it's amazing that England were the last to have a bowler taking 400 wickets!

FBU

International Debutant
Since his debut England played 200 Tests. Anderson played 71.5% (Eight 5 Test series)
Australia 156 Tests McGrath 79.4% (Six 5 Test series)
West Indies 143 Tests Walsh 92.3% (Thirteen 5 Test series!)

Walsh the fittest, especially playing so many 5 Test series.

Bijed

International Regular
Since his debut England played 200 Tests. Anderson played 71.5% (Eight 5 Test series)

A fair chunk of the earlier tests missed by Anderson would be because he was dropped, rather than unfit.

Impressive from Walsh anyway, though

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

I don't think you can solely look at percentage of matches played - need to factor in the length of careers as well. Walsh may have played more 5 Test series but he didn't play as many matches a year, 5 calendar years he played 10 Tests, Anderson has had 9 out of the last 11 years. Admittedly that doesn't take into account other first class cricket, which Walsh did play a lot more of but Jimmy's durability since he became a fixture in the side has been immense.

Borges

International Regular
In his career, Walsh has bowled a lot more balls than Anderson: FC + List A + T20: Walsh: 1,07,325 Anderson: 61,014