• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominic Cork retires

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
A very sad day for cricket indeed. Cork retires from cricket while Nawab Pataudi Jnr. retires from life.

Corky was a motivational sportsman and one of my fav swing bowlers in the English side of the 90s. Lovely action, wicket to wicket approach, genuine swing away and a guy who'd put his life on the line for queen and country.

Just noticed that his f/c batting record is quite impressive as well. Will be sorely missed for sure!

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Never reached the heights expected of him at international level after his start against West Indies and South Africa.

Sadly never seen enough of Cork against Australia (three Tests only).

Vale to a fantastic first class career. Respect anyone who can still perform as a bowler at 40 years of age.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In other news, Mark Chilton has retired on a high. Mark Wagh retired earlier this season as well. Any others?

tooextracool

International Coach
Have to say, even though I never thought he was test class, I have an enormous amount of respect for a guy who was leading a county attack at the age of 40. Had a lovely action and a great heart, perhaps if he had just an ounce of pace he could have been something else.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Still much faster than Praveen Kumar or RP Singh in his dotage.

I think he was test class, ftr. The trouble as I saw it was that whilst in reality he was a very decent pitch-it-up swing bowler, in his own mind he saw himself as a proper fire-breathing quick who could blast who sometimes overdid the short stuff and bowled too many full-tosses in search of yorkers.

His 33* versus the Windies in the 2nd test of 2000 to see us home by 2 wickets is one of my favourite cricketing memories. I remember a whole group of us crowding round a tiny 14" portable telly in a B+B in Whitley Bay to see the denoument of the test. Good times.

Cheers for the memories Dom.

FTR "**** Neck" (the s-word) is my fav nickname for any player. :cool:

stumpski

International Captain
In other news, Mark Chilton has retired on a high. Mark Wagh retired earlier this season as well. Any others?
They ran a little film at the PCA Award - Alistair Brown and Stefan Jones were the major names, and I have a feeling that Ramps may not see out his contract. One thing about Cork is that he was just short of 1000 wickets (and must have known that), but voluntarily missed the last three or four Hants game for family reasons; his priorities were in the right place.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here - I don't see him as a natural coach, and there's only so much room in the Sky box.