• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers II - CW's Favorite Cricketer (now underway)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Lasith Malinga - 14 vs Tim Southee - 9

Sir Garfield Sobers - 17 vs Michael Slater - 4

Allan Border - 15 vs Jeetan Patel - 2

Ricky Ponting - 15 vs Richie Richardson - 5

MAK Pataudi - 11 vs Clarrie Grimmett - 9

George Headley - 13 vs Glenn Turner - 4

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Top 36 -

Rahul Dravid - 26
Imran Khan - 24
Malcolm Marshall - 23
Dale Steyn - 22
Brett Lee - 21
Dennis Lillee - 20
Brian Lara - 20
Keith Miller - 19
Sir Viv Richards - 19
Michael Holding - 19
Sachin Tendulkar - 18
Michael Hussey - 18
Sir Garfield Sobers - 17
Allan Donald - 17
Mahela Jayawardene - 16
Muttiah Muralitharan - 16
Allan Border - 15
Richard Hadlee - 15
Waqar Younis - 15
Shane Warne - 15
Curtley Ambrose - 15
VVS Laxman - 15
Ricky Ponting - 15
Courtney Walsh - 15
Lasith Malinga - 14
Sir Jack Hobbs - 14
Richie Benaud - 14
Adam Gilchrist - 14
George Headley - 13
Shane Bond - 13
Sir Frank Worrell - 13
Clive Lloyd - 12
Wasim Akram - 12
MAK Pataudi - 11
Kapil Dev - 11
Anil Kumble - 10

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wow! Am surprised as well. Good call to haul both of them in. :)
Yeah, thanks.

Would have liked to nominate Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi too tbh.:p

The guy who dissented against bodyline and Jardine after scoring a century on debut for England and said he doesn't care if it was his last match.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Going to divide the top 36 into three groups of 12 each as per the seedings above. Top 12, 13-24 and 25-36.

Going to have 12 battles of 3 each with one player going through from each and then a Wild card round amongst the 12 second place finishers from which 4 would go through to the top 16.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Battle 73

Rahul Dravid

VS

Allan Border

VS

Clive Lloyd

Vote for your top choice.

Battle to go on for 24 hours and tie breaker to be the first vote after 24 hours.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Battle 74

Imran Khan

VS

Mahela Jayawardene

VS

Richie Benaud

Battle to go on for 24 hours and tie breaker to be the first vote after 24 hours.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Battle 75

Malcolm Marshall

VS

Sir Garfield Sobers

VS

Wasim Akram

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha, I was thinking things were getting brutal with those first two battles but that third one is pure evil.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Rahul Dravid - Easiest of the 3 for me.

Imran Khan - Just by a slight margin over the Great Richie Benaud. Tough one.

Wasim Akram - This one is brutal, but i guess watching Akram live at the ground and his commentary days just slightly swing it to towards him for me. Apologies to the other 2.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Lloyd Imran Sobers.

As Sean said, the third battle is way too tough. Actually, they have the potential to qualify as the top 3 CW favourites.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok…

In the first – well, it says something about the quality of the trio when I rate the Big Cat a distant third. I adore Dravid and hate voting against him, but for so many years growing up AB simply was Australian cricket. So it’s Border for me.

In the second one, Richie is a dead set legend but Imran combined all-round cricketing brilliance with knee-weakening (for the ladies, obv :ph34r:) charisma like no one since Keith Miller.

Finally, the ridiculous deathmatch that is the third battle. I reckon all three of these blokes would make (or at least go bloody close to) my all-time favourite World XI. Seems crazy that one of them won’t even get a wildcard, but in the end Wasim Akram is probably my favourite bowler ever and takes this one by the narrowest of margins.