• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Sylvester

State Captain
If all you've seen of Warner is t20 then you've got no idea about what he's capable of. (Well maybe a little).
Well if they saw his CLT20 knocks they might have a relatively good idea. Back to back 100s in T20 is no easy feat and shows his consistency which we have seen in the other formats.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
TBH I reckon Warner will play Test cricket before long; truth be told I'm not convinced Hughes will nail down the spot, even when he's in form he got found out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And with Ponting at 3 as well, you'd have thought the experienced players taking responsibility and batting so high up would have worked out. Can't think why it didn't.
Did you see the balls the batsmen from both teams have been dismissed by?

adub

International Captain
Well if they saw his CLT20 knocks they might have a relatively good idea. Back to back 100s in T20 is no easy feat and shows his consistency which we have seen in the other formats.
that's why I added the (maybe a little) bit.

Still his steadiness in fc recently is in contrast to those knocks, but he can still be brutal when he wants to be.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure i'd want to play or open with Warner in South African conditions tbh, especially if there is equal(or little less) juice in the wickets for the next match too.

Spark

Global Moderator
If we *do* win, it'll feel so bizarre. Hollow, almost.

Urgh. So conflicted right now. Part of me says "wait and see, keep a cool head etc before getting the pitchforks", but other part of me says "nine for twenty ****ing one".

Last edited:

Spikey

oh no i don't mean win. i mean his spot. if he doesn't add anything today that could hurt him pretty badly

adub

International Captain
oh no i don't mean win. i mean his spot. if he doesn't add anything today that could hurt him pretty badly
so fingers crossed we roll em with Harris, Watson, Sidds and Lyon getting the wickets and MJ getting another 3 overs that go for 6rpo before being sent of to mind his own at midwicket.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Im not too bothered with losing this one, when you make 47 you can't be hopeful of winning, unless you made 700 in the first innings, we deserve to lose, we bowled not that great to SA late in the day, lots of 4's, can't be spraying it around defending a low-ish total. If only watson reviewed his LBW....

Burgey

If we *do* win, it'll feel so bizarre. Hollow, almost.

Urgh. So conflicted right now. Part of me says "wait and see, keep a cool head etc before getting the pitchforks", but other part of me says "nine for twenty ****ing one".
Your country is playing in a test match and you're conflicted?

Hand in your Southern Cross tattoo and unwrap the flag from around yourself.

Spark

Global Moderator
Im not too bothered with losing this one, when you make 47 you can't be hopeful of winning, unless you made 700 in the first innings, we deserve to lose, we bowled not that great to SA late in the day, lots of 4's, can't be spraying it around defending a low-ish total. If only watson reviewed his LBW....
That's why I'm saying it'll feel weird if we win. It just feels "wrong" somehow to win with 47 on the board. Can you really win a Test against a top quality side on the back of basically two or three performances?

adub

International Captain
That's why I'm saying it'll feel weird if we win. It just feels "wrong" somehow to win with 47 on the board. Can you really win a Test against a top quality side on the back of basically two or three performances?
**** that. What right have SA to a win after being rolled for 96?

It cuts both ways. If they can score more than 236 in the forth innings then good for them, otherwise **** em, we made more runs over two innings we deserve to win. That's always been the way it works. Why would getting 284 and 47 be worse than 170 and 161? It isn't.

Plenty of tests are won on the back of two or three players. The great sides just happen to have a different 2 or 3 players doing it for them more often than other sides. If we win this we'll ****ing take it because we'll have had Clarke's innings and they didn't. No different to many other games where a real stand out performance makes the difference.

Spark

Global Moderator
True. But 47 is just...

no words.

I hope we do win, obvs, but it won't be the most satisfying victory we've had.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well....if you aren't bothered when the team you support loses because they played badly...when would you be bothered? :p Losing because you played badly could be said about most Test losses...

Top_Cat

Agreed, both teams are about even on the 'deserve to win' criteria right now, both have been several shades of poo with a couple of stand-out/freak performances.