• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick one former player to add to your current Test team

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely WI, given their batting stocks, would go straight for Sobers or Viv.
Yeah especially given that Gayle's ineligible now, and they don't have a quality spinner, they'd deffo go for Sobers or Viv.

abmk

State 12th Man
I'd go:

India: Kapil
Pakistan:Imran
Australia:Bradman
England: Botham/Flintoff
WI : Sobers
NZ: Hadlee
SL: Murali
SA: Donald

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I know Kapil is the logical choice for India, but Mankad wouldn't be a bad shout either. We get an upgrade on Harbhajan and a vastly superior batsman at that. Plus Mankad also serves as a backup opening option that puts the likes of Vijay and Mukund out of business. He was a freak, Mankad. It's win-win all the way.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
India: kapil dev easily
australia: bradman
nzl: hadlee
sri lanka: murali
south africa: donald. (imagine donald+steyn w/ the new ball)
england: botham
west indies: sobers. but i really wanna say lara :(
zimbabwe: flower

Given the state of their spin bowling options the Saffers might be tempted by Aubrey Faulkner, or even Hugh Tayfield
imo tahir will turn that from a problem to a strength.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hammond - we need someone who can cope when conditions are more challenging for batting. He also gives us a 5th bowling option iirc.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking as someone who never saw Van der Bijl, what makes you say that?

They need a better opener to partner Smith as well - I'd say they'd go for Barry Richards.
Personally just think the guy would be immense in Test match cricket, accurate never give runs away and a perfect foil for Morkel and Steyn.

JBMAC

State Captain
I have already said Bradman for the Aussies. AS FOR THE REST CHEW ON THESE GUYS.
ENGLAND: Lord Ted Dexter dour tough strong impo good leader
INDIA: Engineer best keeper I ahve seen from there punishing bat team man
PAKISTAN: Imran Khan good leader thinking cricketer not afraid to experiment
WEST INDIES: Toss up here.Frank Worrell for his batting and leadership or Wes Hall for his fire ,determination and never give upmanship
ZIMBABWE: Andy Flower this is self explanatory
SOUTH AFRICA: Hugh Tayfield match winner in his own right and the team need a good quality spinner who is consistent
SRI LANKA: A young Jayasuria brilliant bat turn back the hands of time to when he debuted and he would lift this team

smash84

The Tiger King
I have already said Bradman for the Aussies. AS FOR THE REST CHEW ON THESE GUYS.
WEST INDIES: Toss up here.Frank Worrell for his batting and leadership or Wes Hall for his fire ,determination and never give upmanship
SOUTH AFRICA: Hugh Tayfield match winner in his own right and the team need a good quality spinner who is consistent
SRI LANKA: A young Jayasuria brilliant bat turn back the hands of time to when he debuted and he would lift this team
Pretty good list but why Jayasuriya over Muralitharan given the fact that SL have always lacked firepower in the bowling department?

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
For the Aussie team, I'd go for Alan Davidson, that way we'd get to see the back of Johnson.

JBMAC

State Captain
Pretty good list but why Jayasuriya over Muralitharan given the fact that SL have always lacked firepower in the bowling department?
I am on record in several places on this forum as being a "non believer" in chuckers being included in great of whatever. That is my personal opinion only and has got me into strife here before.That's all the correspondence I will enter into. Sorry if i give offence

JBMAC

State Captain
For the Aussie team, I'd go for Alan Davidson, that way we'd get to see the back of Johnson.
" Davo" would be a good selection.Actually if memory serves me correctly he became, in the tied test at the gabba, the first test cricketer to take 10 wickets and score over a 100 runs in a test.But by dropping Clarke for Bradman you are replacing a batsman with the same ilk.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali or Vaas please. Even a Ravi Ratnayake or a Rumesh Ratnayake will be some valuable addition to SL bowling line up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would have to select Shane Warne narrowly ahead of Don Bradman. Bradman obviously would add runs to the team but he doesn't solve the big issue with our team at the moment - spin bowling.

Take the Ashes for example, we had Doherty and Beer playing and decided to pick Steve Smith as a useful spin bowler and number 6. Also Marcus North case was helped by the fact that his off spinners were useful.

If we had Warne at his peak, we would have just picked the best batsman for the number 6 spot as well as obviously having one of the best bowlers of all time.

Watson Hughes Ponting Katich Clarke Hussey Haddin Johnson Warne (c) Siddle Harris.

Last edited:

Van Buren

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Glenn McGrath for Australia. I've seen too much of wayward Johnson while hoping instead for the Johnson who demolished South Africa and England in a couple of tests in 2009. It's mainly due to Johnson that I'd take the Metronome over Warne.

Shaun Pollock for South Africa. Pollock-Steyn-Morkel could have been a devastating trio, and would have ended South Africa's search for their third seamer. He would have also strengthened their lower order batting, which is possibly the weakest it has been since readmission. A pity they didn't play much together despite being around for 4 years since 2004.