• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morgan V Raina

Who's the better batsmen?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you're possibly setting too much stall by domestic FC scores when assessing a player's worth. Morgan is far from alone in not exactly shining in the CC before getting a run in tests.* Vaughan and Trescothick both famously had distinctly ordinary FC records when they graduated to the test XI. Tres is the obvious comparison: gun ODI player, promoted to tests on the strength of this and a temperament that's suited to international cricket.

Morgan has a way to go to establish himself, but I don't think anyone watching the two batsmen could conclude that Raina is far better.

*As an aside, only two of Engaland's current top 7 average more in FC cricket than in tests and one of those only went ahead thanks to his last outing against the current tourists.
I only like to use watching players to form an opinion on potential and to make predictions. In terms of how I rate players in a thread like this, it all comes down to what they've actually done. I'll deal with what they're capable of if and when they actually do it.

Jacknife

International Captain
His technique derives from playing hurling when he was younger. He's really very Irish :p.

He's not the best at dealing with attacking fast bowling so a lot might depend on how much protection he gets from those above him.
I remember a while ago, when the hurling thing kept getting brought up, Morgan himself I believe, came out and said, that it had been completely overplayed as he has played, very little Hurling.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Raina averages 44 to Morgan's 38 in first-class cricket. They both have 8 centuries. Considering the higher-scoring nature of Indian cricket, that's barely a discrepancy at all.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Raina averages 44 to Morgan's 38 in first-class cricket. They both have 8 centuries. Considering the higher-scoring nature of Indian cricket, that's barely a discrepancy at all.
Morgan's is inflated by games for Ireland though.

Morgan averages just 32 in the County Championship.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember a while ago, when the hurling thing kept getting brought up, Morgan himself I believe, came out and said, that it had been completely overplayed as he has played, very little Hurling.
Ah, fair enough. His sweep shot does look suspiciously familiar. Maybe it's in the blood :p.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:-O

GTFO. Et tu Corrin?
Wouldn't want anyone to think of me as biased. As long as we get a good contest that's all yeah I can't ****ing finish that sentence.

Sorry everyone, just to clear things up, here are the actual best players in each position:

Cook
Strauss
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Broad/Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Thank you, and good night.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What the hell GIMH!? You have not genuinely thought about team selection or positioning there, and are clearly allowing personal bias and/or recent form to sway your view. Come on! You don't really believe that's what the best players from each position is? Stop being a stupid English fanboy. Now here is how the players actually stack up in a thought-out and considered best XI:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Broad/Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Now think harder about your selection in future. :@

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i feel like this tour will end raina's test career :mellow:

unfortunately that means yuvraj comes in. either way, advantage england!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Raina, Looks more temperamentally valuable at the moment, not writing Morgan off though at all.
Not a chance. Whatever Morgan's flaws, temperament isn't one of them. The man has ice in his blood. Definitely a man who treats Kipling's twin imposters alike.

Bun

Banned
Raina, and it's not even particularly close at this point IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if Morgan had a better series though because England's bowlers are better and, as Uppercut said, he's playing at home.
+1 to cult of PEWS