• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Harbhajan break Murali's record?

smash84

The Tiger King
Ambrose should have picked up more wickets if he didn't want to be overtaken.
nah.......400 was fine for the time that he played in.........was looking up some bowling records and came across Fred Trueman..........he was the first to 300 wickets.....but what a master

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People need to get off Cook's bandwagon. I was the first one on it and all of you aren't welcome. I said from when he debuted that he was going to be better than KP, even when KP was looking like Bradman and Cook couldn't score a run.

Bun

Banned
People need to get off Cook's bandwagon. I was the first one on it and all of you aren't welcome. I said from when he debuted that he was going to be better than KP, even when KP was looking like Bradman and Cook couldn't score a run.
nah, it is understandable, english fans are having their first english born and bred batter avging above 50 in decades. so obviously they are going to be terribly excited abt it. like me who literally jizz in my pants seeing our pace bowlers turn it up of late.

cook is a fantastic talent, no doubt about it. I still vividly recollect his coming of age double hundred for essex vs aus in 05. his partnership with bopara really set that summer rolling.

having said that, one swallow doesn't make a summer. if I follow dearest gimh's logic, then ishant will end up with a wicket tally close to that of mcgrath by the time he retires, if not better.

Bun

Banned
adding to the above, I think the next batting superstar will be a b devilliers. I expect him to have pontingesque run in the next 5 or 6 years. it's just pathetic that south africa doesnt get to play so many tests.

akilana

International 12th Man
adding to the above, I think the next batting superstar will be a b devilliers. I expect him to have pontingesque run in the next 5 or 6 years. it's just pathetic that south africa doesnt get to play so many tests.
+1

equally good in ODIs as well.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
de Villiers won't be the next batting superstar - he already is one.

Will go down as the best Saffa since readmission by the time he retires IMO (alongside Kallis).

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
If all goes well for him, he will have played 125 more tests by the time he turns 37.
At his current rate (avg of high 40's to 50), he will have around 15,500 runs by then (end of 2021).
Even that won't help him to get past the Great Tendulkar. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I doubt Harby will get within 200 of it, tbh. Kumble's record is more conceivable, but I struggle to see Harbhajan playing enough cricket. It's quite possible India will produce a new gun slow blower and he'll be shunted to one side.

Interestingly, of the bowlers to have managed 400 wickets, he has the highest average, slowest strike rate and highest economy rate. Fair to say he's comfortably the least accomplished bowler to manage the feat.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I'm more concerned that he'll be overtaking Ambrose soon :(
Well, he's already past Trueman, Lillee, Marshall and Imran Khan. Pretty soon he'd overtake Ambrose and I'd die inside a bit the day he gets to 432 wickets and forges ahead of my greatest fast bowler of all time! :down:

But, what the heck! Record books would tell you who has taken how many wickets. However, cricket lovers know who the real champions are because of their field performances.

smash84

The Tiger King
indeed...........although i don't really understand this love for records by the posters on here

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well, he's already past Trueman, Lillee, Marshall and Imran Khan. Pretty soon he'd overtake Ambrose and I'd die inside a bit the day he gets to 432 wickets and forges ahead of my greatest fast bowler of all time! :down:

But, what the heck! Record books would tell you who has taken how many wickets. However, cricket lovers know who the real champions are because of their field performances.
If he gets past my man Courtney I'll have a break down

Blaze 18

Banned
The irony in this statement is stinging, considering Australia's selection policy over the last couple of years.
As I said, I wasn't talking about the current Australian selectors per se. In general, Indian greats play on well past their sell-by date, unlike their Australian counterparts. That's got a lot to do with the selectors lacking balls to ask a senior player to quit.

Last edited: