• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Diaspora XI

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok following on from something raised in the Windies / India thread, what would your all-time non-Indian Indian XI be?

Let's ignore Ind/Pak pre-/post-Partition issues. Otherwise you can take whatever definition of "Indian" fits.

Here goes.

Ganga
Ranji
Kanhai
Kallicharan
Chanderpaul
Jardine (c)
Ramdin (w)
Ramadhin
Rampaul
Bishoo
Panesar

Someone help me out with some quick bowlers, ffs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Stuart Clark is of Anglo-Indian stock, so he could be one opening bowler & Robin Jackman is a son of the Raj, so there's the shine gone at least.

Cowdrey a must for the XI too.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Haha, Z! Had a sneaking feeling that someone would create this thread today.

My XI would be as under:

1) Shiv Chanderpaul
2) Ranji
3) Colin Cowdrey
4) Rohan Kanhai
5) Doug Jardine (*)
6) Kallicharan
7) Denesh Ramdin (+)
8) Robin Jackman
9) Dev Bishoo
10) Ravi Rampaul
11) Sonny Ramadhin

I'm backing Shiv to come good as an opener. Has opened a lot in ODIs. Jardine would be skipper with killer instinct and the middle-order looks solid.

There is a fast man, a medium-pacer who can swing it, an offie and a very promising young leg-spinner. I'd back my boys in most conditions! :cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Err, Douglas Jardine is interesting. And by interesting, I mean it's a stretch. And by stretch, I mean he doesn't belong.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jardine and Cowdrey were only born there because their parents were working in India at the time - they're of English/Celtic decent AFAIC.

Daemon

Yeah if you're going by place of birth/nationality instead of race then Chanders etc don't belong there either

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Err, Douglas Jardine is interesting. And by interesting, I mean it's a stretch. And by stretch, I mean he doesn't belong.
Indian-born son of an Indian-born father. Was a contender for India's first ever test captain too, according to his biographer Christopher Douglas.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
My OP tried to define Indian widely. It's always difficult to draw sensible distinctions based on race or ethnicity or colour. Seems to me that Jardine has every bit as much right to be considered Anglo Indian as, say, Monty Panesar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My OP tried to define Indian widely. It's always difficult to draw sensible distinctions based on race or ethnicity or colour. Seems to me that Jardine has every bit as much right to be considered Anglo Indian as, say, Monty Panesar.
It's not really about ethnicity. Stuart Clark might have a better claim because AFAIK one of his parents is Indian and therefore he may have some more cultural influence. I think you have to have at least some (and probably more than some) part of the culture as part of your life to be considered - be it religion, local customs, etc. Even while living in India, most British officers remained very distant from the local culture and some of their beliefs about the people they were ruling and living amongst were quite lolworthy. A good test might be that if someone came into your life, they'd be able to figure out some connection to the country in question without you telling them.

If Jardine and his family were one of the exceptions (and there certainly were some) I fully stand corrected.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jardine and Cowdrey were only born there because their parents were working in India at the time - they're of English/Celtic decent AFAIC.
Yea if I go and work in Japan where my kid is born where he goes to English schools with other american kids and moves out at 9 to complete his education in the states, it'd be very odd to call him part of the "Korean diaspora". However people can define the criteria their own way.

vcs

Yea if I go and work in Japan where my kid is born where he goes to English schools with other american kids and moves out at 9 to complete his education in the states, it'd be very odd to call him part of the "Korean diaspora". However people can define the criteria their own way.
Because he'd never set foot in Korea in his life? :ph34r: