Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who should be England's third seamer?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stuart Broad

10 18.87%
  • Tim Bresnan

21 39.62%
  • Steven Finn

6 11.32%
  • Ajmal Shahzad

0 0%
  • Graham Onions

4 7.55%
  • GeraintIsMyHero

12 22.64%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be England's third seamer?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

Who should be England's third seamer?

Poll to follow.

Think it's fair to say that Broad, after appearing to have turned the corner in 2009/10, has been majorly unconvincing this series. He seems completely unable to take wickets at the moment - and whilst he's had 2 fairly serious injuries in the last 6 months he needs to go back to county cricket and get some wickets under his belt. Shame there's pretty much no Championship cricket between now and the first Test.

Personally I'd go with Bresnan if he's fit - a huge hallmark of our success in Melbourne and Sydney was Bresnan keeping things tight as **** and almost boring the Aussies out - I reckon we'll need to adopt similar tactics at times to a batting lineup as powerful as India's this summer. Although Finn takes wickets, he doesn't build pressure the way Bresnan does.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    And as dumbass me forgot to tick the 'add poll' box, we're stuck until a kind mod puts one in.

Yeah, agree. I generally consider myself less trigger-happy than the average fan but I'd be happy to see him come out for the First Test. Maybe if he bowls excellently for Notts we can keep him, but if he's more a hinderance to them than anything else, like in April-May, we can look at someone else.

Bresnan I'm a big supporter of and would be happy to be in the side. I also think we ought to be keeping a very close eye on Graham Onions.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Onions
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah If I was an England fan I'd be wanting Bresnan lining up as 3rd seamer.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Bres for me too. The quartet that bowled out Australia twice in both Melbourne and Sydney must have something going for it.

His extra runs a bonus as well, obvz.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Finn takes wickets, don't care how he does it, but he does.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Leaning towards Bresnan at the moment but it's too early to tell. A bunch of the candidates aren't even fully fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Oh sorry, I thought this was BOTM.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Finn takes wickets, don't care how he does it, but he does.
    The trouble is he can be expensive; the two Andys made the tough (but correct IMHO) decision to cut the big lad for the last two tests of the Ashes tour because of it and, India have a 24-karat batting line up, so think the same could apply.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Probably Finn or Bresnan.

With 4 bowlers you still need to take 20 wickets so everyone has to be able to make big contributions.

Finn has done little wrong-- even if he has bowled mainly at weakish line-ups, Broad looks out of sorts. Finn averages 4+ wickets a test. Broad averages less than 3. It is hard to ask the other 3 guys to regularly take 17 wickets to win a Test.

If not Finn then Bresnan. Can also take wickets but 1 run an over more economical than Finn, and offers something with the bat and can bowl to a plan.

Bresnan is the conservative pick but I dont think batting is important at 9 and, for all his faults, Finn may offer slightly more cutting edge. Flip a coin for me.

It really depends on the strategy England wants. Do they want to be able to keep pushing after the new ball has gone or do they want someone they can throw the ball to when the batsman as scoring freely and can bowl to a field?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Probably Finn or Bresnan.

With 4 bowlers you still need to take 20 wickets so everyone has to be able to make big contributions.

Finn has done little wrong-- even if he has bowled mainly at weakish line-ups, Broad looks out of sorts. Finn averages 4+ wickets a test. Broad averages less than 3. It is hard to ask the other 3 guys to regularly take 17 wickets to win a Test.

If not Finn then Bresnan. Can also take wickets but 1 run an over more economical than Finn, and offers something with the bat and can bowl to a plan.

Bresnan is the conservative pick but I dont think batting is important at 9 and, for all his faults, Finn may offer slightly more cutting edge. Flip a coin for me.

It really depends on the strategy England wants. Do they want to be able to keep pushing after the new ball has gone or do they want someone they can throw the ball to when the batsman as scoring freely and can bowl to a field?
    Good post. With regards to the bolded part, I think the latter may be more necessary given the batting lineup we'll be taking on. I also rate Bresnan's batting a bit higher than that, he'll be in at 8 ahead of Swann, who seems to have been having real problems with the willow lately.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 18-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Good post. With regards to the bolded part, I think the latter may be more necessary given the batting lineup we'll be taking on. I also rate Bresnan's batting a bit higher than that, he'll be in at 8 ahead of Swann, who seems to have been having real problems with the willow lately.
    Yeah you are right, Bresnan would bat 8 but the point I meant was that with Swann as a fine 8 then batting isnt really relevant in the conversation when picking your best 3 quicks. The selection should be exclusively based on bowling.

True, but if there's not much difference in the bowling (as I happen to think) then it's fair enough to pick the guy who'll get you some extra runs too.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I said Broad but I'd have Bresnan come in if he failed.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information