• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Stuart Broad make India's strongest test XI?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As for the question of this thread, Broad certainly wouldn't walk in over any of our alternatives, and anyone who can't see that is being a bit deluded IMO.
Surely he would though? As an overall package he's miles ahead of Ishant and Sreesanth. I reckon he's a good deal better than both but he's certainly not worse than either, but he would offer a reliable lower order batting option to India that they arguably don't have (although Harbhajan has certainly batted extremely usefully for about a year now).

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
It's hard to defend the Indian seamers, it really is, but sometimes it's made out on here as if the Timbuktu Under 12s team have better options going than what we do.

As for the question of this thread, Broad certainly wouldn't walk in over any of our alternatives, and anyone who can't see that is being a bit deluded IMO.
Yeah I agree, they aren't as bad as is made out. Its the fact that India are ranked no 1 which drives a lot of the comments imo.

Since the only seamers (apart from Khan) I've seen in tests recently are Sharma, Sreesanth and Mithun (I've watched Munaf too but it was ages ago and likely no longer relevant) its hard to get a good assesment of the current resources. I've never seen Praveen or Kumar outside of limited overs.

I will say that in this regard India have improved significantly from how they used to be, so things seem to be headed in the right direction.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely he would though? As an overall package he's miles ahead of Ishant and Sreesanth. I reckon he's a good deal better than both but he's certainly not worse than either, but he would offer a reliable lower order batting option to India that they arguably don't have (although Harbhajan has certainly batted extremely usefully for about a year now).
I meant purely as a bowler. As an overall package, he'd get in easily, yes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only problem with Broad in the India side would be the UDRS issue. He gets in a sulk when Strauss won't give him a review so imagine when he's told he's never having any!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I meant purely as a bowler. As an overall package, he'd get in easily, yes.
Given that the thread specifically asks if he'd make the best XI, you might want to think twice before you go labelling people deluded

salman85

International Debutant
Yeah he would.

Also,interesting fact : Out of all 3,Sreesanth has the best strikerate.This surprised me since i was pretty sure Broad would have a much better SR than the other two,but he was the worst one of the trio,

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Change of direction, should he be making England's strongest XI? If not, where does he rank in your ideal pecking order of English fast bowlers?

As it stands I'd take Anderson, Tremlett, Finn, Bresnan and Shahzad quite happily over him.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
He's Englan'd best ODI bowler.

At Test Level i would only put him behind Anderson.

So yes,he should most certainly be making England's strongest 11.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I brought those figures up in the Ashes subforum and everyone was surprised because they thought he'd been bowling much better than that.

I'm hardly a fan of bowlers who "seem" to be bowling well but aren't taking wickets, so I usually find myself downplaying Broad's abilities. But in this thread we're comparing him to bowlers that "seem" to be bowling like total clowns and are also not taking any wickets. Where's the comparison?
Ishant has many occasions where he has had similar problems to Broad of bowling well but not picking up wickets.
His spell in that perth test and the Sydney and Adelaide tests were examples too.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to defend the Indian seamers, it really is, but sometimes it's made out on here as if the Timbuktu Under 12s team have better options going than what we do.

This.

Broad is overrated in tests on this forum.

And Sreesanth and specially Ishant are way underrated.

Specially Ishant who for my money is the best test bowler of the three in all conditions at the moment.

It is funny how when Broad takes wickets against a Pakistan and West Indies lineup who were gifting wickets as if it was christmas,on low scoring helpful tracks then he has turned the corner and has become much better.

But when Ishant cleans up Newzealand in India it is a fluke.:laugh:

Reckon probably ODI's play too much part in this as Broad is better there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This.

Broad is overrated in tests on this forum.

And Sreesanth and specially Ishant are way underrated.

Specially Ishant who for my money is the best test bowler of the three in all conditions at the moment.

It is funny how when Broad takes wickets against a Pakistan and West Indies lineup who were gifting wickets as if it was christmas,on low scoring helpful tracks then he has turned the corner and has become much better.

But when Ishant cleans up Newzealand in India it is a fluke.:laugh:

Reckon probably ODI's play too much part in this as Broad is better there.
Broad didn't actually bowl that well against Pakistan.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Broad should be playing this test as Finn should have got the nod. He'd walk into the Indian side though.