• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Stuart Broad make India's strongest test XI?

Bun

Banned
broad's despite having played most of his cricket in english conditions, and generally good bowling conditions, still avg 36, for me that's bordering on the pathetic.

sree and ishant have had to slug it out on graveyards all the time. one need not go past the extreme divergence between sree's avg in result matches and drawn matches to note this.

had broad been indian, he'd be averaging in the agarkar zone or maybe even samiesque.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not really disagreeing with you bun, but I would say that bowling conditions in England are very overstated as to how favourable they are for bowlers. Not comparing them to the SC tho.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
broad's despite having played most of his cricket in english conditions, and generally good bowling conditions, still avg 36, for me that's bordering on the pathetic.

sree and ishant have had to slug it out on graveyards all the time. one need not go past the extreme divergence between sree's avg in result matches and drawn matches to note this.

had broad been indian, he'd be averaging in the agarkar zone or maybe even samiesque.
Sorry, but that's massively flawed logic.

Blaze 18

Banned
Numbers are completely irrelevant here. Either you're using a lol sample size, or you're accounting for bowling that occured a couple of years ago when they were all entirely different bowlers.
:blink:

Never thought I'd see Uppercut say that. :p

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would like to see Broad play a test series in India. People talk about favourable bowling conditions and immediately think of green pitches and nothing else. Broad wouldn't last a full 3 test series bowling in the SC heat. And hence he wouldn't be of much use to India.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Since when has Broad's stamina been an issue? Baseless logic.

I'll be storing all these posts about English conditions for next time our batsmen our being talked down.

Howe_zat

Audio File

I'll be storing all these posts about English conditions for next time our batsmen our being talked down.
Nothing new really. I remember just before the Ashes when the low-scoring series against Pakistan proved all our batsmen were rubbish and all our bowlers can only bowl in helpful conditions.

Bun

Banned

Haha as if our batsmen never had to face this allegation... whats gud for the geese does it for the gander etc etc.... :p

random broad stat,

sir stuey avgs 35 with mad andy around him to offer succour and warmth, without him averages 44 in test cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Broad debuted in SL, ftr.

Didn't do a lot, but has played in subcontinent conditions.

Must admit my gaster is somewhat flabbered. No selectors in the world would take Ishant or Sreesanth ahead of Broad. The answer to the question posed in the thread title is "yes" then; can we move on?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad debuted in SL, ftr.

Didn't do a lot, but has played in subcontinent conditions.

Must admit my gaster is somewhat flabbered. No selectors in the world would take Ishant or Sreesanth ahead of Broad. The answer to the question posed in the thread title is "yes" then; can we move on?
Played in Bangladesh as well, IIRC.

Jacknife

International Captain
Broad's bad run isn't five Tests, it's two, maybe three if he doesn't step up tomorrow (or today if they come back on).

If you wanna purely play cricket-by-numbers, then sure he had a poor Ashes. However, he bowled well. He didn't let us down over there and it was a worry when he went down with the sidestrain. Prior to that, he averaged something pretty low against Pakistan.

He does need to step up, and soon. There are very good alternatives available, Finn really bowled well from day three onwards at Lord's, Bresnan is quality. But this thread isn't about whether he should be in the England XI.

He'd walk into the India side. As would Anderson, Tremlett, Finn, Bresnan, Shazhad, Onions etc
Completely agree, he bowled well in Oz but was really unlucky but was still the most economical bowler out there. Since then, which I think some people seem to forget about, he's had 2 serious injuries on the bounce and that is going to take him some time, to get back to the form he had had during the back end of the Ashes and SA tour and into last year.
In England in 2009 he averaged 28 and 2010 it was 23. It's just since the Ashes and injury has set him back.

Jacknife

International Captain
Would like to see Broad play a test series in India. People talk about favourable bowling conditions and immediately think of green pitches and nothing else. Broad wouldn't last a full 3 test series bowling in the SC heat. And hence he wouldn't be of much use to India.
:jawdrop::laugh::laugh::laugh: