• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Curtly Ambrose - one of the coolest cricketers

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Came across this article on Cricinfo on Ambrose

Tour Diaries | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Some interesting excerpts:

“My mother basically forced me to play cricket. And then to try and please her, I did. And like they say, the rest is history. So I guess she knew I had a talent.”

He was a reluctant cricketer. “I never liked cricket. It was just a job.” Then how can someone who didn’t like the game go on to achieve greatness? “I am a proud man.” That’s it. No follow-ups. Nothing. It says everything that’s to say about him. When you probe further he adds, “My pride basically was my motivation. I want to be the best at whatever I do. I strive for excellence. I don’t like to lose. Once I decided cricket was going to be my job, I just wanted to be the best. It’s a lot of hard work.”

“I don’t like talking about cricket,” he says the next day. “As a matter of fact, Desmond Haynes said to me one time, that he had never met a cricketer like me. Because I don’t talk cricket. Other guys will talk cricket at breakfast, talk cricket at dinner. I don’t do that. Once I get to the cricket ground, I switch onto cricket. Once I leave the ground, I switch off. I don’t want nothing to do with cricket. So Haynes said to me that I am a strange person.

The obvious thing, then, was to ask about that famous spat with Waugh. It was a hair-raising moment: Ambrose staring down at Waugh as if he meant to hit, Waugh looking back icy cold, and Richardson trying to drag Ambrose out of the crime scene. “You know I am not usually like that. That particular series in 1995 we were in danger of losing our No.1 status. And we were behind in the series and I got a little frustrated. He said something to me that I didn’t like and I responded and we said a thing or two. But it started right there on the pitch and ended right there. We still had mutual respect between us.”

What were you really thinking at that moment? Would you have hit him? “Well I wanted to. I was so frustrated I wanted to vent it out. It was out of character because I am not like that.” Intimidation by that cold stare was his style though.

“But I don’t like sledging, I have never done that. I don’t think that is part of cricket. If you are good at what you do, you shouldn’t resort to sledging to be successful. Because if you do that to get success, then you know that you are not any good. So I let the ball do the talking. I will stare at you and look at you very mean and all that because it was part of my weapon.”
In my cricket watching years, no one has struck to me as having that "cool" factor like Ambrose :wub: Ambrose remains unique in his appeal.

WAG!

shankar

International Debutant
Fascinating interview. Are there other examples of people becoming one of the best ever in a pursuit they didn't even enjoy much? That needs an unimaginable amount of discipline.

salman85

International Debutant
Love the "Curtly talk to no man" bit about him.

And talking about people who didn't want to go into a particular profession,but still ended up achieving greatness in it - Wasim Akram.He wanted to be a table tennis player,and was great at it.Cricket was never his first choice of sport.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Love the "Curtly talk to no man" bit about him.

And talking about people who didn't want to go into a particular profession,but still ended up achieving greatness in it - Wasim Akram.He wanted to be a table tennis player,and was great at it.Cricket was never his first choice of sport.
But presumably he liked cricket? From that interview Curtly says it was 'just a job'!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fascinating interview. Are there other examples of people becoming one of the best ever in a pursuit they didn't even enjoy much? That needs an unimaginable amount of discipline.
Andre Agassi. Probably not among the best ever, but one of the best of his generation for sure.

salman85

International Debutant
I think there was nothing to choose between him and Mcgrath as far as line bowlers go.However,being a batsman i would surely find Curtly much more intimidating.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden is most candid in his praise of Ambrose here

"I was a lamb to the slaughter, and I knew it," writes Matthew Hayden with disarming candour about the Boxing Day Test of 1996. "The West Indies knew it. Curtly Ambrose certainly knew it. If Curtly hadn't got me out that over then it would have happened in his next, or the one after that. I might as well not have bothered padding up because I was out before I got in. Every sportsman will tell you that there are times when you feel way out of your depth and you categorically know you're going to fail."
And here again

"Curtly was the best opposition bowler I ever faced by far. You were always under pressure with him. Did he bowl a bad over ... ever? A bad ball? A full toss? I'm sure he did, but it never seemed that way when you were facing him," Hayden said.
They don't make them like that anymore!

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Never knew that about Akram. I wonder if his amazing ability to swing a cricket ball accurately came from having to curve a table tennis ball.

Re: Ambrose, reminds me of Bond in the sense that he never became flustered, you could hit him for four or turn down a plumb lbw shout and the next ball would still be good.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
...Wasim Akram.He wanted to be a table tennis player,and was great at it.Cricket was never his first choice of sport.
Wow. Interesting factoid there.

In my cricket watching years, no one has struck to me as having that "cool" factor like Ambrose :wub: Ambrose remains unique in his appeal.

WAG!
Agreed. The epitome of cool. My favourite all time cricketer of all time - closely followed by Malcolm Denzil Marshall.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it's a bit of a stretch to say Curtly didn't enjoy cricket that much, just that there were other things he enjoyed a bit more (like playing bass).

Total pro, though. Toughest first over in world cricket for most of his career.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
My all time favourite fast bowler by far.I didn't see marshall and co.
I think he was the greatest fast bowler of his age.I have him in my atg team too.
Steve waugh rates him as better than marshall,the perfect bowling machine.