• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

your most joyous and most depressing cricketing moments

salman85

International Debutant
Simple really.

What cricketing moment made you the happiest,and which one made you the saddest?

My moments would be :

Happiest
The 2009 T20 win.Had a rocky start to the campaign,we even lost the warm up matches if i remember correctly.Victory in the final, courtesy of one of my favorite cricketers is something i can never ever forget :)

The 2009 T20 is when i started liking Harsha Bhogle as a commentator too btw.I still remember the 'Isn't he the king of Lahore,Karachi,Peshawar and Nottingham?!' rant from him when Afridi knocked over De Villiers in the semifinal.

I was only 7 when we won the 1992 WC,so i didn't know a lot about what happened at the time.I did know that we won the WC,by i didn't really experience the same euphoria that other older Pakistani fans did.

Saddest
2010 WC semifinal loss to India.

w.o.r.s.t.c.r.i.c.k.e.t.i.n.g.m.o.m.e.n.t.e.v.e.r

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Karachi test vs India in 2006 still the best moment.Worst has be Hobart 99 or Sydney 10 its a toss up really.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among the ones I watched live in the ground (incidentally both in Eden Gardens)

Most Depressing: 1996 WC Semifinal loss to SL
Most Joyous: The Laxman-Dravid Test match win over Australia

If other matches watched live (but not being present in the ground) are included, then also most depressing would remain the same; most joyous would certainly be the 2011 WC win.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Joyous - Sree taking a 5-fer and bowling SA out for 40 in Jo'burg, '06/07

Depressing - Sanga copping a shocker at 192, Hobart.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Joyous - Jamaica 1995. Enjoyed every moment of the Frank Worrell trophy in 1995. The final wicket of Kenny Benjamin still brings back great memories of a period of constant highlights in Australian cricket.

Depressing - MCG 2010. Witnessed the meltdown of the Australian cricket team. Almost gave up on cricket that fateful first day.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Most Depressing: 1996 WC Semifinal loss to SL
Most Joyous: The Laxman-Dravid Test match win over Australia

Agree with both, by some margin actually. If I was to make a list :

Most Joyous :

India vs. Australia 2001
Daylight
WC 2011/WC '96 win against Pakistan
Win over England in Chennai 2008
Every Test series win away from home

Most Depressing :

WC '96 semifinal
Chennai '99 loss to Pakistan
Sydney 2008
CBA recalling the rest, too many to think of :p

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Most Joyous
Ashes 05
Ashes 09
Ashes 10/11

All three for different reasons really. 2005 was an amazing series that meant something even beyond the urn because of the sheer quality of it, and obviously we got to break our duck so it left a hugely important legacy.

2009 was a tricky time for me personally and that series gave me the greatest boost ever.

2010-11 was just amazing, I still don't fully believe it actually happened. Watching the scenes after Sydney really got to me like cricket never has before.

Honourable shout out to the Test win in Mumbai 06. Freddie, you ****ing beauty. Miss you.

Worst

Ashes series in 06-07 being cancelled

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Worst

1.96 wc semi final loss to SL -
Was in the stadium,was 8 yrs old and just started watching cricket 1 yr earlier.Cried all the way home.Especially when sachin was run out for 65 and match turned from 93 for 1 to 126 for 6 odd.Didn't eat that night.

2.99 chennai test vs pakistan,had given up watching,came back after studies and sachin was still there.It was a terrible heartbreak,wanted to kill joshi and srinath.Tears again.Though suppressed.Last time i cried in a cricket match.

3.2007 wc loss to bangladesh.Wasn't too shocked with wc 2007 exit cause i knew we were going to fail with all the senior junior dissension in the team under chappell,but going out to bangladsh like pussies was still extremely disappointing.

4.The 2004 series loss at home to australia.Because we didn't play to our potential and were distracted by so many external factors,pitch,rain,injury,tendu the slump,ganguly the chump.

These are pretty much it,2003 final wasn't regret.we just lost to a better team.

Best

1.2011 wc win
Retribution for 1996.Vengeance is ours.15 yrs in the making.

2.2001 eden test.I gave away the tickets after the mumbai thrashing,i didn't want to ruin my day like in 96 and 99.Epic fail.:dry:This and the winner in chennai change dthe face of indian cricket.

3.2003 wc qualifier league match vs pakistan.
For motormouth shoaib.

4.Coca cola tournament sharjah 1998.One man show.Best odi innings i had seen.

5.2003-4series in aus great team performance from us.But still lower cause they were missing mcgrath.

6.T20 WC win final.Don't rate t20s so low ranking.

Also home series vs aus 98,08,Asia cup win.Titan cup win,coca cola independence cup win in dhaka,vb series in aus 2007,natwest.These bring back nice memories but not like the others.

Spark

Global Moderator
Joyous - Jamaica 1995. Enjoyed every moment of the Frank Worrell trophy in 1995. The final wicket of Kenny Benjamin still brings back great memories of a period of constant highlights in Australian cricket.

Depressing - MCG 2010. Witnessed the meltdown of the Australian cricket team. Almost gave up on cricket that fateful first day.
I'm actually pretty meh about that. Obviously it was the worst single day of cricket I've ever seen but it just didn't feel that depressing.

Burgey

Any time Ian Bell scores a run is awful.

Being in the Members' seeing McGrath, Warner and Langer finish up was great. Saw a lot of great Warne moments live.

The 89 Ashes would be up there. I took my late grandfather to the welcome home lunch for the team in Sydney which was great. Was a special thing to share with him, and was the day I realised what amazing drinking capacities old blokes have.

Also, I was at the SCG for day one of the Ashes Test in 1998-99 when Australia scored 320 odd for the day, Mark Waugh got a ton which is always a joy, Steve Waugh got 90 and Gough took a hat trick to finish the day in front of a full house.

I think that's probably the best day's cricket I've ever seen to be honest.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I'm actually pretty meh about that. Obviously it was the worst single day of cricket I've ever seen but it just didn't feel that depressing.
We are both lucky to live in an era of Australian cricket having few depressing moments.

The first morning at the MCG is high on my list. I was also crushed by our efforts in India 2008. Depressing captaincy, planning, selections and application with both bat and ball.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Joyous: Being 4 down for 60 odd chasing 330 or so against Aussie in 2007 and knowing that we had it in us to win anyway, and then doing it. The absolute peak moment of joy was watching Matthew Hayden realise that his 181 not out wasn't good enough to win the game.

Depressing: 4-0 to Bangladesh, I know they're a vastly improved side but to clean sweep us was almost too much to handle.

Daemon

In the short period of time I've watched cricket with great interest, for some reason the T20 against Pakistan which went to the bowl out is one that I enjoyed watching alot. When we got that run out in the end it was awesome. I was also really happy during the WC win but I could barely watch the match cos I was drunk as ****. The worst moment was the Sydney test beyond doubt.

Blaze 18

Banned
Most joyous

1) World Cup 2011 win
2) WC semi-final 2011 vs Pakistan
3) Kolkata test vs Australia in 2001
4) WC 2003 vs Pakistan
5) ICC World T20 2007

Most depressing

1) Sydney test vs Australia in 2008
2) Cape Town test vs South Africa in 2011 (was a draw but still)
3) Bangalore test vs Pakistan 2005
4) Karachi test vs Pakistan 2006
5) Mumbai 2006 vs England (felt like smashing Dravid's face after the game, when he justified his inexplicable and moronic decision to field first by saying "we would have had to field first had we lost the toss".

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Joyous

1. World Cup 2011 win, hands down
  2. Adelaide 2003
  3. Kolkatta 2001
  4. Rawalpindi 2004
  5. 2003 WC India-Pak

Depressing

1. Ind-Aus Sydney test 2008
  2. 1996 world cup semi-final loss to SL
  3. Hyderabad ODI 2009 (Sachin's 175 wasted)
  4. India's 2007 world cup exit
  5. India-Pak Chennai test 1999

Last edited: