• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletcher Appointed as India Coach

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Duncan Fletcher appointed India's Next Coach

Apologies if this has been posted

India news: Duncan Fletcher appointed India coach | India Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Duncan Fletcher, the former England coach and former Zimbabwe captain, will replace Gary Kirsten as India's coach, starting with the team's tour of West Indies in June. To start with, Fletcher will be on a two-year contract. Fletcher was in charge of the England team when they beat Australia in 2005 to win the Ashes for the first time since 1986-87, and was credited with turning around England's fortunes in Tests, first with Nasser Hussain and then with Michael Vaughan.

Eric Simons will continue as India's bowling coach.

I would say its a good choice, but I thought they would announce the new coach after IPL

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He sold his soul to the devil, he'll never get it back

Enjoy your 4-0 trouncing, ****

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will take some getting used to seeing his grumpy scowl in the stands. :(

Spikey

Be difficult for Fletcher to indulge his fetish for **** spinners in India, too.

salman85

International Debutant
Over-reaction much?

Duncan is a good coach.Knows the English Team well so he's likely to get off to a good start.People tend to focus on the way he was kicked out,which is a tad unfair.Sure the 5-0 drubbing vs Australia was harsh,but there were other impressive results before that.The foundations of England's rise as a Test Power has to include him as one of the key men,and it's unfair to dismiss his ability as a coach.

I think it's a decent choice and he'll do well for India.

vcs

Anyway, regardless of the Ashes 06-07 debacle, I'd put England's team under his management in 2004-05 (when they won 8 consecutive Tests at one stage, won in SA and finally, took down Australia in 2005) as the 2nd best Test side of the last decade (marginally ahead of India in the last couple of years), so he's a sensible appointment going by track record. I'll reserve judgement for now. :)

Last edited:

morgieb

Odds that India will try and find 150kmph quicks only for Fletcher to find out there aren't any? :p

Duncan's a good coach - regardless of his fetishness of all-round bowlers and quicks that are quick but aren't good.

vcs

Also, I expect to see Raina substituting a lot for Zaheer in the field in the upcoming tour of England. :ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Strange Choice.

Would have preferred someone younger and more adaptive to modern techniques and tactics than him.
Rather have had Dave Whatmore than him if we wanted someone experienced.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
One of Fletcher's problems during his England reign was a tetchy relationship with the media, something which Vaughan felt could be a hindrance in his India job as well. "Duncan will work well with all the talent," Vaughan tweeted. "His biggest challenge will come from the media..he has never really understood how it works."

Dhoni Handles the media mostly and very well so that should not be a problem, but if he gaffs up with the media and the results the Indian media and "Experts" will burn him very soon.

smash84

The Tiger King
Would have preferred Dav Whatmore too...........

Having said that Fletcher is not a bad choice.......Andy Flower would have been ideal I think.....

LOL @ his fetish for 150k+ quicks

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of Fletcher's problems during his England reign was a tetchy relationship with the media, something which Vaughan felt could be a hindrance in his India job as well. "Duncan will work well with all the talent," Vaughan tweeted. "His biggest challenge will come from the media..he has never really understood how it works."

Dhoni Handles the media mostly and very well so that should not be a problem, but if he gaffs up with the media and the results the Indian media and "Experts" will burn him very soon.
Can definitely see this one ending in tears

Greg Chappell is a retiring wall-flower with a keen sense of how to deal with the media in comparison to Fletcher