• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prince Lara vs King Viv

Who's the better test batsman

• Total voters

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Lara is by far my favorite batsman of all time. But if I had to choose a West Indian to bat for my life

(after George Headley) that would be the original and only "Master Blaster" !!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Always rated Viv above both Sachin and Lara.. Dunno, just personal bias towards his style of batting more than any so-called "solid" statistical reasons...

Out before the spreadsheeters are in.. :ph34r:

salman85

International Debutant
I never got around to watching Viv since i was too young.Lara i did watch.

If i had to pick,i'd probably make the safer choice and go with Viv,but when the Windies were in decline Lara pulled off some brilliant single handed victories for them.That can't be ignored.

smash84

The Tiger King
Both had the ability to change the course of matches single handedly. I go for Viv for his ability to intimidate the opposition bowling and for having a lion like presence on the field

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara was supreme against spin, while Richards was dominant against pace. Lara had genuine troubles against express pace, while Richards' problems against leg spin weren't as pronounced. In the end, I go with Richards, more dominant, and a more rounded record.

Himannv

International Coach
Lara is probably my fovourite batsman of all time so maybe I might be a little biased. Viv was probably more effective but voted for Lara.

bagapath

International Captain
was dreading the day this comparison would come up as a straight forward question though it has been addressed several times in the past on other threads.

both were absolute magicians with the bat. both were arguably the best batsmen of their eras. they were big match players who saved their best against the toughest bowlers. they had equally successful and equally long careers.

even if you put a gun to my head, i wont choose between them. I want them both in any team I make. but if you uncork the safety latch on that gun and put your finger to the trigger and start your countdown then i will choose viv richards.

the reasons will come out eventually in the thread later. will wait to read what others have to say.

cnerd123

likes this
Lara fanboy, so him.

Viv's probably a better pick as an overall player, handy player, great in the field, awesome presence.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
have always wondered about viv's legacy if (a big, kiplingesque if, it needs be said) he hadn't managed to get his average back over the magical 50 mark in his last test. I believe it was in his 2nd last innings, but i could be wrong.