• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Class list

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Better than Dhoni for mine. Don't really have an opinion on Haddin or Prior which is probably a good sign but I don't rate Dhoni with the gloves at all, especially given that he plays for India because he's soo dire keeping to spin.
Spot the man who hasn't watched any cricket of India in India in recent times.. :p

Himannv

International Coach
Past performances are irrelevant when you're looking at who's world class right now. Ponting hasn't been anything like a world class Test batsman for at least 18 months.
Ah I see. If its current form then he definitely isn't at a World Class level.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know PEWS does not like him much but Johnson has done enough to be world class, would be selected for all other test playing nations I rekon.

Spark

Global Moderator
No way in hell would England take him.

Everyone else would but that's purely because basically no one else has a decent 3rd seamer.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Everyone else would but that's purely because basically no one else has a decent 3rd seamer.
he surely is better then Finn and possibly even Broad just because he is usually poor versus England does not mean England will not pick him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Was Lillee not World Class if the West Indies wouldn't pick him when they had 4 great quicks bowling for them?

Definition needs a rethink, IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
he surely is better then Finn and possibly even Broad just because he is usually poor versus England does not mean England will not pick him.
As explained in the other thread, his style of bowling is anathema to England's modern (very successful) philosophy.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was Lillee not World Class if the West Indies wouldn't pick him when they had 4 great quicks bowling for them?

Definition needs a rethink, IMO.
They never had all 4 at the same time typically - plus Lillee's still better than Holding, Roberts and probably Garner.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
They never had all 4 at the same time typically - plus Lillee's still better than Holding, Roberts and probably Garner.
What if he wasn't? Suppose the WI wouldn't have picked him because he wouldn't fit into a 'bowling team'? Assume that they wouldn't want to disturb their combination.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What if he wasn't? Suppose the WI wouldn't have picked him because he wouldn't fit into a 'bowling team'? Assume that they wouldn't want to disturb their combination.
He'd have comfortably got into every other side though - the West Indies having freakishly great fast bowling stocks wouldn't have changed that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

As explained in the other thread, his style of bowling is anathema to England's modern (very successful) philosophy.
I'm inclined to think we would, tbh. He might not make the first XI, but we selected Harmison as recently as the 5th Ashes test in 2009 and Johnson's a similar performer (in terms of ouput not style) in that he's all boom and bust.

I think he'd make the squad and perhaps be a "horses for courses" pick on grounds like Perth, Headlingley and (maybe) Trent Bridge where conditions would (in theory) suit.

&, unrelated to the above, Prior's the best keeper/batsman in the world now Sanga's given the gloves away. Cases can be made for Dhoni's and Haddin's batting (ftr I'd probably take Haddin's batting myself), but his keeping is much sounder than either. Dhoni being the captain of his side muddies the waters and, tbh, I don't much rate his captaincy either. Sets ODI fields too often in tests.

Interesting idea tho, kudos PEWS.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He'd have comfortably got into every other side though - the West Indies having freakishly great fast bowling stocks wouldn't have changed that.
So is the new definition that one needs to be able to get into all but one side to be deemed world class?

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm inclined to think we would, tbh. He might not make the first XI, but we selected Harmison as recently as the 5th Ashes test in 2009 and Johnson's a similar performer (in terms of ouput not style) in that he's all boom and bust.

I think he'd make the squad and perhaps be a "horses for courses" pick on grounds like Perth, Headlingley and (maybe) Trent Bridge where conditions would (in theory) suit.

&, unrelated to the above, Prior's the best keeper/batsman in the world now Sanga's given the gloves away. Cases can be made for Dhoni's and Haddin's batting (ftr I'd probably take Haddin's batting myself), but his keeping is much sounder than either. Dhoni being the captain of his side muddies the waters and, tbh, I don't much rate his captaincy either. Sets ODI fields too often in tests.

Interesting idea tho, kudos PEWS.
Dhoni doesn't get too many points for captaincy - tactically, anyway. Some of his fields set of late have been appallingly stupid.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Better than Dhoni for mine. Don't really have an opinion on Haddin or Prior which is probably a good sign but I don't rate Dhoni with the gloves at all, especially given that he plays for India because he's soo dire keeping to spin.
Dhoni is pretty good against spin.

I think there is a stereotypical view prevalent of his keeping because he is a big guy and was ordinary at keeping early on.

He is better than most think.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kapil would have been a better example then Lillie, IMO Kapil would have struggled to get picked by Windies just based on his bowling but that does not mean he was not a world class bowler.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil would have been a better example then Lillie, IMO Kapil would have struggled to get picked by Windies just based on his bowling but that does not mean he was not a world class bowler.
Kapil was different to all the west indies bowlers.

I think a swing bowler like him would have a good shout to go into the west indies team based on variety,if not anything else.

Plus obviously his batting.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kapil was different to all the west indies bowlers.

I think a swing bowler like him would have a good shout to go into the west indies team based on variety,if not anything else.

Plus obviously his batting.
WI preferred the attack the body bowlers it suited their playing style for a swing bowler too get in you needed to be extra special like Imran,Hadlee or even younger Botham.

Batting would easily get him in but it is not even a point of discussion here.