• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst #1 Bowling Attack

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pretty sure there were worse attacks in the 1800s. Yeah, have to go back over a century to clutch at straws. Its that bad.:p

Flem274*

123/5
DWTA. Before we toured India, if you'd offered me a chance to switch it to SA, I would have given it some consideration even if only because we're marginally better against quality fast bowling than any kind of spin.

India at home are beasts. It's quite cool that the two top teams are such different places to tour atm.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DWTA. Before we toured India, if you'd offered me a chance to switch it to SA, I would have given it some consideration even if only because we're marginally better against quality fast bowling than any kind of spin.

India at home are beasts. It's quite cool that the two top teams are such different places to tour atm.
India are tough at home, but it's not like SA didn't more than hold their own in those conditions. 1-1 was probably a fair reflection of the series, but let's not completely forget SA within two overs of winning it in the end.

For me, anything other than a drawn series for India would suggest to me that SA are the better side.

Blaze 18

Banned
India are tough at home, but it's not like SA didn't more than hold their own in those conditions. 1-1 was probably a fair reflection of the series, but let's not completely forget SA within two overs of winning it in the end.
A few points :

1) South Africa won both the tosses.

2) India were missing key players in the first test that South Africa won.

3) That South Africa came within two overs of drawing the second test was largely due to rain / bad light (India were also missing Zaheer Khan in the second innings. Take Dale Steyn out from the South African attack and see what happens - actually we saw that against England, didn't we ?).

For me, anything other than a drawn series for India would suggest to me that SA are the better side.
Hard to disagree with that.

Zinzan

A few points :

3) That South Africa came within two overs of drawing the second test was largely due to rain / bad light (India were also missing Zaheer Khan in the second innings. Take Dale Steyn out from the South African attack and see what happens - actually we saw that against England, didn't we ?).
Read my full post, I said 1-1 was a fair result

Blaze 18

Banned
I did. I am just pointing out that saying "they came within two overs of winning the series" might be a little misleading. As for one-all being a fair result - I dunno. Given that South Africa had virtually everything in their favour (points one, two and three of my previous post), I suppose you could make a reasonable argument for India being the better side in that series. All that doesn't matter though, only the scoreline does.

vcs

I did. I am just pointing out that saying "they came within two overs of winning the series" might be a little misleading. As for one-all being a fair result - I dunno. Given that South Africa had virtually everything in their favour (points one, two and three of my previous post), I suppose you could make a reasonable argument for India being the better side in that series. All that doesn't matter though, only the scoreline does.
Wasn't the play on day 4 heavily truncated by the weather, which brought SA close to drawing the game in the first place?

0RI0N

State 12th Man
india might be no.1 as per the rankings, but everyone respects SA a lot more.
india's bowling in the first test when SA's Fab4 humiliated india was the worst Test bowling I have seen in SA.
620/4 (actually 620/2, Amla down the leg side on 140 and AB a ball before the declaration), at a run rate of over 4.5 where the last 220 came at over 6 an over.

Blaze 18

Banned
Well, even South Africa's attack were made to look pedestrian by a bunch of young Pakistan batsmen recently, let us not forget that. You take Dale Steyn away and South Africa's attack is nothing to write home about. That isn't to say India's attack is even comparable to South Africa's - it clearly isn't. But every team struggles without their best bowler, Indian more so than others because their best bowler is the only real world-class bowler they have.

Blaze 18

Banned
That is no excuse. They were playing a second or third string Pakistan side. If their bowling attack is that good - frankly, I think it is - they should have had no problem knocking over a team in extremely poor form.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That is no excuse. They were playing a second or third string Pakistan side. If their bowling attack is that good - frankly, I think it is - they should have had no problem knocking over a team in extremely poor form.
How were they playing a second string pakistan side. That is their main aside apart from the bowlers really

vcs

The other, more depressing way of looking at it is that Pakistan's batsmen were able to do what India's fabled middle-order and big names were unable to.

Blaze 18

Banned
The other, more depressing way of looking at it is that Pakistan's batsmen were able to do what India's fabled middle-order and big names were unable to.
It happens. Ajit Agarkar has a century at Lords, Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar don't :D