• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

fezzie

Cricket Spectator
great test, lot of milestones.

congrats to sachin tendulkar on his 50th ton. Great player, great record.

But the highlight for me was Kallis' record, for his 201*, Jacques Kallis was awarded the man of the match award for the 21st time in a test match.

simply the best ...Kallis.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But Joni, the point is, it is as much a function of how good/not good your team mates were than it is of the brilliance of the said batsman alone... It's all relative to how good the other batsmen were in your side, which is NOT something that should decide a player V player comparison when the players are from different sides...
The only person doing a player v player comparison is you. You've completely missed the point I was making.

Briony

International Debutant
I must confess that I didn't think he had it in him to play well in South Africa. Kudos to him for proving me wrong; same goes for Gautham Gambhir.

After day one it was not exactly a difficult pitch by SA standards though. Looked much flatter than Perth. Looked pretty flat as pitches go. And the lack of support for Steyn and Morkel really hinders the SA attack. Surely Parnell might get a go in Durban.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
After day one it was not exactly a difficult pitch by SA standards though. Looked much flatter than Perth. Looked pretty flat as pitches go. And the lack of support for Steyn and Morkel really hinders the SA attack. Surely Parnell might get a go in Durban.
That impression of yours might have something to do with the indian pop-gun attack bowling pies on it. imo it was a good test wicket- had something in it for the bowlers throughout- even harris got some assistance on day 4.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
I don't really see why India is constantly criticized for their away performance even now.

The have now won in West Indies and England. They have won in New Zealand and drawn in Srilanka. They don't play in Pakistan. Which leaves Australia and South Africa.

This is their record against Australia. Which other team has a better record than this against them?

That leaves just South Africa. So the way i see it, as long as they are able to draw this series, they should be given some slack. Even if they lose 2-1, i would say there is not a big deal in it between 1 and 2. Which was clear even before the start of the series. India is not a clear number one. No body is, at this point. So they deserve to hold on to that number 1 status till someone challenges them.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I must confess that I didn't think he had it in him to play well in South Africa. Kudos to him for proving me wrong; same goes for Gautham Gambhir.
I remember that he played some intelligent knocks last time around in SA too. Despite his ugly style, I always expect him to make crucial contributions. For last 18 months or so, he seemed out of sorts, seemingly applying himself a little less due to captaincy burden. But glad to see this knock.

Blaze 18

Banned
Wasn't he smashing Dale Steyn around with ease ? Yeah, the pitch did flatten out, but it had something in it for the bowlers throughout the match. Even on day one he looked okay, actually. He looked the most comfortable of all Indian batsmen bar Tendulkar.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I don't really like Dhoni's batting in tests, when he connects, it races away in a flash and all that, but he's always looked like giving his wicket away. Even in this innings IIRC he was beaten/nearly got out for atleast 5 or 6 times. Taking nothing away from him though, this is right up there in his top 3 knocks list.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Wasn't he smashing Dale Steyn around with ease ? Yeah, the pitch did flatten out, but it had something in it for the bowlers throughout the match. Even on day one he looked okay, actually. He looked the most comfortable of all Indian batsmen bar Tendulkar.
Oh come on man, just one boundary off dale steyn :laugh: And while I agree that Pitch was not dead like Pakistani wickets. but still it was much easier to bat on except the odd delivery which has the extra bounce/kept low.

Blaze 18

Banned
I don't really like Dhoni's batting in tests, when he connects, it races away in a flash and all that, but he's always looked like giving his wicket away. Even in this innings IIRC he was beaten/nearly got out for atleast 5 or 6 times. Taking nothing away from him though, this is right up there in his top 3 knocks list.
You could say the same about Virender Sehwag, but I see your point.

Blaze 18

Banned
Oh come on man, just one boundary off dale steyn :laugh: And while I agree that Pitch was not dead like Pakistani wickets. but still it was much easier to bat on except the odd delivery which has the extra bounce/kept low.
My mistake, that was Jacques Kallis.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
You could say the same about Virender Sehwag, but I see your point.
Nah Blaze, I can recall plenty of times where Sehwag played nearly chanceless innings. Yeah it looks ugly when he gets out, but that's not same with playing a mistimed drive/beating the bat several times/nearly getting lbw etc.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nah Blaze, I can recall plenty of times where Sehwag played nearly chanceless innings. Yeah it looks ugly when he gets out, but that's not same with playing a mistimed drive/beating the bat several times/nearly getting lbw etc.
I was so annoyed at the manner in which he got out in both innings; a hundred was there for the taking in the second dig. As for your point about him not giving chances - I am not too sure about that. He does seem to give a chance or two early in his innings virtually every single time.