• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I was so annoyed at the manner in which he got out in both innings; a hundred was there for the taking in the second dig. As for your point about him not giving chances - I am not too sure about that. He does seem to give a chance or two early in his innings virtually every single time.
Well maybe a few times. But you know what I mean, Dhoni has this tendency to lob it in the air every now and then, even after settling in. Even while playing spinners he just jabs hard at everything while sehwag's pretty good at defense. It's only when he goes for it he gets a few wrong.

Blaze 18

Banned
Well maybe a few times. But you know what I mean, Dhoni has this tendency to lob it in the air every now and then, even after settling in. Even while playing spinners he just jabs hard at everything while sehwag's pretty good at defense. It's only when he goes for it he gets a few wrong.
Yeah, your point is perfectly valid. Sehwag is a lot harder to dislodge once he is in, as opposed to MS Dhoni

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are saying that track was flatter ,then you must be kidding.
These were easily better batting conditions,with less pressure on the tail.

Besides what about the perth test with laxman in the last australia tour,or the sydney test with Sachin ?Or the recent newzealand series too?

Just going hell for leather does not certainly have a better success rate than giving the tail the strike and could have meant

No it wasn't.

India has been following this strategy not only with Tendulkar ,but with Dravid too for quite a while now even before Gary Kirsten became the coach and since then Gary Kirsten has supported this strategy too.
I was at first critical of this strategy but it has been succesful many times(atleast 5) now and has lead to improvement in the batting of the tailenders too.

It did not come of in this instance and looks bad but even if they have had attacked alone in every instance i am pretty sure now,the success rate would have been equal or probably less.

It is not as if they would not have discussed it before the start of play with team management. The tailenders would have even known what they were required to do and so would have the team management.
Do you even try to understand that the situations are not comparable? When every run means something and when there is one more wicket left and when every run puts pressue the opposition, it is ok to take singles, esp. when the said tailender has SHOWN that he can hang around. Tell in exactly in which of these tests you are talking about, were we 20 odd from making the opponent bat again with a muppet debutant tailender at #11 and a batsman on 100 something not out at the other end???????

**** me if this is a strategy.. The only strategy there was that Sachin gets the red ink. End of.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So if you are close to winning you give Ojha the strike and risk losing the game and here you do not give Unadkat the strike to just avoid a innings defeat and turn it to a 10 wicket win ?:wacko:

So are you saying that if there were 10 overs left in the day you would have supported giving Sreesanth the strike ,but not in this instance?:-O

Clutching at straws or what?
You would know better.. I can't even see that straw that you are clutching at.. :p

Of course, Ojha was given the strike when we needed single digits to win. There was every chance that the tailender could nick one through just as there was every chance that the set batsman might be dismissed. And the pressure was on both sides, perhaps more on Australia than India, given that India were down and out not so long ago. How is that even COMPARABLE to what we faced yesterday? Certain defeat but a chance to at least make RSA bat again and a debutant who is obviously inept with the bat, I mean, gimme Ojha anyday over this guy. Ojha showed he can survive in that series against SL very well. IIRC, he was averaging something like 21 when he went into bat that day. Sure, him and Unadkat are comparable. Sure, the pitches were comparable. It was cloudy and the ball was doing a bit and the pitch here at Centurion had the one thing that undoes even the best batsman in our side, BOUNCE... The track against Australia, you could not get the ball to bounce even upto the hips... It is comparable only for the man who wants to absolve Sachin of any blame whatsoever, even when he is obviously in the wrong...

And yes, 10 overs left or whatever, if IT DIDN'T MATTER how we lost and when we lost and by what margin we lost, why the hell was Sachin protecting Sree the previous evening???? :-O... Can't believe your straw ain't broken yet!! :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That same argument has been made previously for trying to hit out and hauling in the deep.

Remember that same argument being made when India lost to England at Mumbai in the last to last series .
The Indian batsmen tried to smash their way out of trouble and protect the tail but failed and were criticised for just ":giving up"
If they were, that wouldn't have been me.. And this is MY criticism.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You would know better.. I can't even see that straw that you are clutching at.. :p

Of course, Ojha was given the strike when we needed single digits to win. There was every chance that the tailender could nick one through just as there was every chance that the set batsman might be dismissed. And the pressure was on both sides, perhaps more on Australia than India, given that India were down and out not so long ago. How is that even COMPARABLE to what we faced yesterday? Certain defeat but a chance to at least make RSA bat again and a debutant who is obviously inept with the bat, I mean, gimme Ojha anyday over this guy. Ojha showed he can survive in that series against SL very well. IIRC, he was averaging something like 21 when he went into bat that day. Sure, him and Unadkat are comparable. Sure, the pitches were comparable. It was cloudy and the ball was doing a bit and the pitch here at Centurion had the one thing that undoes even the best batsman in our side, BOUNCE... The track against Australia, you could not get the ball to bounce even upto the hips... It is comparable only for the man who wants to absolve Sachin of any blame whatsoever, even when he is obviously in the wrong...

And yes, 10 overs left or whatever, if IT DIDN'T MATTER how we lost and when we lost and by what margin we lost, why the hell was Sachin protecting Sree the previous evening???? :-O... Can't believe your straw ain't broken yet!! :laugh:
Because there was a slim possibility of a wash-out.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, reserve wicket-keeper should be there. Just in case Dhoni wants to rest for a game or two. He has made it clear that he doesn't like the amount of cricket he's had to play.

Blaze 18

Banned
India is a much much better team than the one toured in 06. SA is not great in ODIs either.
That is true; this is a much better Indian ODI side than the one that toured in 2006. They have beaten every major nation away from home since that tour - please correct me if I am wrong. South Africa is the only place where India have not won a series yet, so a win here would really mean a lot. Having said that, I would happily take a zero-five drubbing in the ODIs if it comes with a two-one test series win.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Yeah, reserve wicket-keeper should be there. Just in case Dhoni wants to rest for a game or two. He has made it clear that he doesn't like the amount of cricket he's had to play.
Well he could've rested in many matches, like the tri series in SL ftr.

That is true; this is a much better Indian ODI side than the one that toured in 2006. They have beaten every major nation away from home since that tour - please correct me if I am wrong. South Africa is the only place where India have not won a test series yet, so a win here would really mean a lot. Having said that, I would happily take a zero-five drubbing in the ODIs if it comes with a two-one test series win.
Didn't win in SL, Aus etc tbh.

Blaze 18

Banned
Didn't win in SL, Aus etc tbh.
Australia 2008, Sri Lanka 2008 and 2009 (you could also include Compaq Cup 2009, Asia Cup etc.)

Aside from England in 2007 (where India lost three-four), I cannot think of a single major side that India have not beaten away from home since their last ODI series in South Africa.

Last edited:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Seriously bad form, you don't see many people wanting to actually come IN to South African ad make an honest living

I'm going to put it out there that I think Harbhajan looked as good with the ball as he has for years. He was getting really good shape and flighting the ball well early on. He sort of threw in the towel a bit towards the latter part of the innings, but I think it's a very small positive India can take from their bowling effort.
I'm glad i'm not the only one that noticed that. A few people fail to notice that South Africa batted really well.

I don't really like Dhoni's batting in tests, when he connects, it races away in a flash and all that, but he's always looked like giving his wicket away. Even in this innings IIRC he was beaten/nearly got out for atleast 5 or 6 times. Taking nothing away from him though, this is right up there in his top 3 knocks list.
I disagree, I think he is an excellent test batsman capable of toughing it out, more so than some of his higher order team mates at times

Do you even try to understand that the situations are not comparable? When every run means something and when there is one more wicket left and when every run puts pressue the opposition, it is ok to take singles, esp. when the said tailender has SHOWN that he can hang around. Tell in exactly in which of these tests you are talking about, were we 20 odd from making the opponent bat again with a muppet debutant tailender at #11 and a batsman on 100 something not out at the other end???????

**** me if this is a strategy.. The only strategy there was that Sachin gets the red ink. End of.
Can't believe you're still waffling on about this

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Because there was a slim possibility of a wash-out.
And the same rains were forecast the next day too, weren't they? The whole crux is that you play with some kind of belief and try and achieve the least possible margin of defeat, if you cannot achieve a win or a draw..