• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

And i saw bradman play....

Redbacks

International Captain
Jeff Thomson
"On a rest day during the Indian tour in 1977-78, Don Bradman was around in the nets. I was bowling only legspin to him, but he had a couple of young blokes trying to get him out. With no pads, no nothing ... for a 68-year-old, he belted the hell out of them on a turf wicket. And he hadn't batted for 20 years. I went back in and said, 'Why isn't this bastard playing with us tomorrow?' That's how good I thought he was."

Only in Australia can a national icon be called a bastard without offence it seems.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeff Thomson
"On a rest day during the Indian tour in 1977-78, Don Bradman was around in the nets. I was bowling only legspin to him, but he had a couple of young blokes trying to get him out. With no pads, no nothing ... for a 68-year-old, he belted the hell out of them on a turf wicket. And he hadn't batted for 20 years. I went back in and said, 'Why isn't this bastard playing with us tomorrow?' That's how good I thought he was."

Only in Australia can a national icon be called a bastard without offence it seems.
Reminds me of the comment allegedly made when Jardine complained to the australian dressing room in 32/33 about being addressed as such by, I think, Vic Richardson

"OK which of you bastards called this bastard a bastard"

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Jeff Thomson

Yeah, would love to spend a couple of years there. Fascinatingly free and easy-going culture!

Redbacks

International Captain
Reminds me of the comment allegedly made when Jardine complained to the australian dressing room in 32/33 about being addressed as such by, I think, Vic Richardson

"OK which of you bastards called this bastard a bastard"
That incident was in the mini series from memory so it must be true! Another alleged humorous moment occured in when Jardine was swating away a fly. Someone from the crowd was heard to have said 'Leave our flies alone Jardine, they're the only friends you've got.'

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That incident was in the mini series from memory so it must be true! Another alleged humorous moment occured in when Jardine was swating away a fly. Someone from the crowd was heard to have said 'Leave our flies alone Jardine, they're the only friends you've got.'
Yes, it is.

Just don't arrive by boat. Otherwise, you'll be made very welcome here :)
The real source of Australia's dislike of boat people was that Jardine arrived by boat.