• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing curmudgeons

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fred's post in the Gupte/Warne thread that a well known cricket writer acquaintence of his had said that Sir Garfield Sobers "has become a rather bitter man in recent years, and that will colour what he now says." got me thinking. There does seem to be a strain amongst cricket's great and the good who, when their careers end, mutate into miserable cantankerous old bastards with nary a good word to say about the modern game. Obviously it isn't all sweetness and light & one would be daft to pretend otherwise, but to hear some ex-pros talk it sounds as if they don't actually even much like the sport anymore.

Bishan Bedi belongs the curmudgeons' club with his never ending prattle about Murali, Neil Harvey has been shouting at clouds for a good few years now & Mick Vaughan seems to be shaping up into another great embittered Yorkshireman with his rather ill-judged remarks about Trott playing for England. Vaughan follows in a noble tradition as the People's Republic of the White Rose is the curmudgeon capital of the world with such marvellously miserable old so-and-sos like Messers Trueman, Boycott and Close chuntering on is this world and the next.

Thoughts? Nominations?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't call Boycott a curmudgeon, atleast on air when he is commentating.. he is droll but not curmudgeonly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What about those who do just the opposite?

After watching Yusuf Pathan's IPL century, both Warne and Sidhu remarked that's the best inning they've seen ever in any form of the game.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've got a DVD of Stephen Chalke interviewing Closey a couple of years ago - all those cracks on the head have clearly took their toll on the Old Bald Blighter eventually as he comes across as a delightful old bugger without any sort of a chip on his shoulder at all - unless he'd been drugged I suppose - I dare say half a dozen pints of Sam Smiths could mellow anyone

As for a real curmudgeon I'd nominate Sky's very own Bobby Dazzler

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I wouldn't call Boycott a curmudgeon, atleast on air when he is commentating.. he is droll but not curmudgeonly.
He has a curmudgeonly streak in him at the very least with his exasperated cries of "What are they doing?" & how his mother could've played that "Wi' a stick of rubarb".

vcs

He has a curmudgeonly streak in him at the very least with his exasperated cries of "What are they doing?" & how his mother could've played that "Wi' a stick of rubarb".
That is part of his charm TBH, atleast for subcontinental audiences. He was always a big hit over here, we've been brought up on a diet of Sidhu, Amarnath, Srikkanth etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wouldn't have put Gus or Stewie in the curmudgeon's camp myself. Gus more of a doleful melancholic like Eeyore. Think his sometime bowling partner Mr Gough has more curmudgeonly potential: his "Strauss can't play ODIs" remarks on Sky followed by "they stitched me up in the edit" on Twatter after the skipper rather made a mockery of the suggestion showed great promise.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I seem to remember a story about Bill "Tiger" O'Reilly writing about Geoff Lawson and calling him boorish. Lawson wrote to Tiger to object to the article. Tiger didn't reply other than to return Lawson's letter with spelling and grammatical errors corrected in red ink.

Other nominations are all pretty obvious: Boycott, Trueman, Gavaskar, Bedi. And I'd add Botham to the list, particularly when pontificating about field placings.

MP Vaughan a name to watch for the future. He's already a bit of a prick but when he realises his era has sailed away I can imagine the bitterness starting to set in as well.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't have put Gus or Stewie in the curmudgeon's camp myself. Gus more of a doleful melancholic like Eeyore. Think his sometime bowling partner Mr Gough has more curmudgeonly potential: his "Strauss can't play ODIs" remarks on Sky followed by "they stitched me up in the edit" on Twatter after the skipper rather made a mockery of the suggestion showed great promise.
Boring gits if not curmudgeons.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, and Alec Bedser too. RIP obv but by all accounts (except Freds perhaps? Am I right Fred?) a curmudgeonly old bastard par excellence

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I seem to remember a story about Bill "Tiger" O'Reilly writing about Geoff Lawson and calling him boorish. Lawson wrote to Tiger to object to the article. Tiger didn't reply other than to return Lawson's letter with spelling and grammatical errors corrected in red ink.

Other nominations are all pretty obvious: Boycott, Trueman, Gavaskar, Bedi. And I'd add Botham to the list, particularly when pontificating about field placings.

MP Vaughan a name to watch for the future. He's already a bit of a prick but when he realises his era has sailed away I can imagine the bitterness starting to set in as well.
Gavaskar's an odd one. His telly commentary seems insightful and quite balanced, but then he'll say something spectacularly stupid in an article like suggesting umpires don't call Stuart Broad up for his petulance because his old man's a match ref. Still fighting colonial wars in his mind I suspect.

Top_Cat

Ian Harvey the most curmudgeonly of former Aussie players, tbh. Honorable mention to Thommo.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jim Laker always amused me in his BBC commentary, seemed to despise modernity, which of course I now subscribe too.