• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke retains T20 captaincy

Jayzamann

International Regular
Disappointed to see, but CA have an agenda with giving Clarke as much international captaincy as possible. But really, t20i is so helter skelter and dynamic, incumbency really shouldn't matter as much in this format as in tests. Form players should be given precedent.

That being said, aside from Clarke and Haddin, that squad is super duper. It would be interesting to see how the Saffers experiment with ABdeV works out, and whether it would be applicable to Australia in one way or another.

Matt79

Global Moderator
There's not really a AB equivalent who demands selection as a batsman and can also keep a bit. Haddin is the best batsman-keeper we have.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He's the only other candidate worth discussing and again, he's a keeper who can bat, as opposed to th AB scenario of someone who'd be selected as a batsman anyway.

Imagine with the WC behind us and some major test series coming up, they're keen to give Haddin the nod over Tim in order to give him time to acclimitise in the middle.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selectors don't appear to have learnt anything regarding T20.

How they can still pick Clarke and still not pick Bollinger is unbelievable.

pasag

RTDAS
It's complicated because we don't know whether this is due to:

a) Selectors being too scared to go against the prodigal son OR
b) Selectors acknowledging he's crap at T20, but they reckon as long as Clarke gets good experience for Tests it's worth it and the end justifies the means OR
c) They still just don't get, buying into the myth and thinking because you're young and have blonde hair you're automatically good at Twenty20. As if only slow scorers look like massive german prison guards.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems a strange move to me.Then again T20 isn't exactly important and i say that just a week after winning the world title in that format.It was nice at the time but i am looking forward to other matches more than any T20 game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke is now officially the first Oz captain of any team for god knows how long who isnt good enough to make the x1

Why?

It's p-o-l-i-t-i-c-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spark

Global Moderator
He didn't quite do that over there but we weren't concerned about it.
>_>

Am I the only one who can't wait for tests to start again so I can, y'know, enjoy watching him bat again?

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm not a Clarke fan but I'd like to see him given a chance to improve. There have been some other guys who were pigeonholed as ODI/Test batsmen only who have managed to find success in T20. The world cup might be the wake up call he needed.

Haddin is a strange case for me, as from what I've seen hes a naturally attacking batsman. I would of thought T20 would suit him just fine.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I'm not a Clarke fan but I'd like to see him given a chance to improve. There have been some other guys who were pigeonholed as ODI/Test batsmen only who have managed to find success in T20. The world cup might be the wake up call he needed.
The difference between Clarke and the other cricketers who found a way to succeed in Twenty20 is that other cricketers did it through copious amounts of domestic and IPL cricket.

No indication that Clarke will ever play anymore Twenty20 cricket than the occasional international match every 3-4 months followed by a World Cup every 1-2 years, how a poor Twenty20 cricketer is to improve at international level is beyond me. I don't want a cricketer in the Australian side that is 'learning' the game.

Sir Alex

Banned

Haddin is a strange case for me, as from what I've seen hes a naturally attacking batsman. I would of thought T20 would suit him just fine.
Yeah but he hardly gives himself a chance to do the same with his continued refusal of IPL and Big Bash.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBF, the Big Bash isn't a "refusal", he's just never available during the Christmas/New Year period when they play the matches because of Test duties.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A number of th comments in this thread are interesting given Australia just made the final of the WC in this format. From reading them you'd think we'd been KO'ed in the first round.

FWIW I think they're just happy to let him go because they're grooming him for the test captaincy. Personally don't agree with Kimber - if White proves a good T20 captain, I fail to see how this would in anyway compromise Clarke's elevation to test skipper - if that's what he's saying.