• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

shivfan

Banned
I would blame the pitches than the teams. With that pitch, it's hard to force a win.
Exactly....

If the WIndies take all ten wickets on today's final day, I will eat my hat!
:)
Quite frankly, it's wishful thinking to believe the Windies can force a win, on this road, no matter how much of a lead they had on first innings, and how many risks they'd taken in trying to push on the scoring.

I believe the approach they took was the realistic one - make sure that you're not in a losing position on a dead batting track first, and when that is certain, then try to get into a winning position. Bravo joined Shiv at 371-4, a good 170 runs behind, they were 420-odd overnight. If they'd taken the attack to the negative Saffer bowlers, took risks, they might've got out like Gayle and Deo did when they tried to push the scoring. Then, with the fragile tail, the Windies would be 100 runs behind, and South Africa would be in a position to score rapidly, set the WI a target of 200-odd by lunch, and it becomes another nervy fourth innings batting display on the final day, a la the England tour of the Caribbean last year....

shivfan

Banned
WW, you have convinced me that Colin Croft is a crap commentator. And that's about it!

Now then, the game as it is: Any chance of quick wickets to fall on day 5? I don't think so...
Croft always chatted a load of rubbish, usually motivated more by a desire to secure personal headlines, rather than to provide genuine insights into the situation in particular. Thankfully, he's not a selector, and never will be....

As for the game itself, this is still a road they're batting on, so I expect this game to peter out into a draw.

As for Shiv and Nash, they were never under 'pressure' for their places. It's not like the younger guys were scoring tons of runs and demanding a place in the side.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah because Croft would do so much worse than the current selectors right? 8-) it wasn't Croft begging for Dowlin to play either Mike!!.. so if anything i thank god you're not anywhere near the selection panal!! :cool: .

P.S. It's funny seeing my detractors patting eachother on the back!!, i guess they think someone replying to my post with a smiley face has obviously "put me in my place"!! :laugh: .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah because Croft would do so much worse than the current selectors right? 8-) it wasn't Croft begging for Dowlin to play either Mike!!.. so if anything i thank god you're not anywhere near the selection panal!! :cool: .

P.S. It's funny seeing my detractors patting eachother on the back!!, i guess they think someone replying to my post with a smiley face has obviously "put me in my place"!! :laugh: .
Yeah, the whole world is against you WW

On a serious note, I've mentioned this before & I'll mention it again. you'd certainly do yourself a small favour by dropping the babyish 'laughing' smiley & sarcastic 'eye-roll' smiley on every other post. Just a thought considering most posters are out of high-school

Howsie

International Captain

Whereas if you were a selector we'd see 17 year old batsmen that average 20 odd in FC cricket and bowlers with less then a handful of FC wickets brought into the test team because they performed in the Under 19 World Cup?

Travis Dowlin before this series had played in four matches and averaged somewhere near 40, unless you have someone better you can't just drop him. Yeah, he basically has no future with West Indies cricket but while Adrian Barath is out injured he just has to be the next batsmen picked (or this was the case before the last two matches anyhow).

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain

Seriously, I don't understand why some of the people on here have to make an argument out of everything. You do realise it's possible to have a reasonalbe conversation about West Indian selectorial decisions, right? You're almost like a West Indian Scaly, although possibly with less swearing.

Although I generally agree with Howsie's points, it is most likely fair that Dowlin kept his place at least for the first couple of tests, given that he had been reasonably proficient in the few tests he had played before this series, although his faults have been rather exposed by the South Africans.

Yesterday was, from what I saw, hugely dissapointing for any fan. While I can sort of understand Shivfan's points, I still think that it is poor form to play cricket that sluggishly, especially given that the pitch they were batting on was equally as flat as the Day 3 pitch where West Indies had rattled aong at around four an over and also that, in all honestly, there's next to no chance of West Indies losing this test.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Whereas if you were a selector we'd see 17 year old batsmen that average 20 odd in FC cricket and bowlers with less then a handful of FC wickets brought into the test team because they performed in the Under 19 World Cup?

Travis Dowlin before this series had played in four matches and averaged somewhere near 40, unless you have someone better you can't just drop him. Yeah, he basically has no future with West Indies cricket but while Adrian Barath is out injured he just has to be the next batsmen picked (or this was the case before the last two matches anyhow).
Clearly you haven't understood my views about Brathwaite, it's not just about his performances in the u19 world cup, that would be utterly frivolous and if that was the case i'd be calling for Shane Dowrich, Akeem Dwear and Yannic Cariah right now too, i've been backing Brathwaite because of his performances for Barbados at the end of the last regional season and for A-team against Zimbabwe of which he scored an 80 and 64, he let himself down a little in England recently but there's no doubt in my mind he would have scored more runs than Dowlin in this series, no doubt at all,

Dowlin getting a few lucky knocks doesn't mean jack to me, i knew he was rubbish and people like Mike tried to act like he was Barath #2!!, he might get himself a few runs today on this track but he's a waste of space imo and we would have done better with Dwayne Bravo or Deonarine opening instead.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
And braincells.
And your "Einstein" right? :laugh: at least i'm bright enough to comprehend that this thread is about 'WI vs South Africa' and NOT WindieWeathers!! 8-) .

If you have a problem with my posts i'm sure there's a red box with an X in the middle that can put you out of your misery!!.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah look it's a guy who makes an avatar bet on England's football team winning their first group game at a World Cup with an Italian manager. How'd that work out for you by the way?
I meant "less swearing and braincells" ie. less braincells.
Keep hating though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And your "Einstein" right? :laugh: at least i'm bright enough to comprehend that this thread is about 'WI vs South Africa' and NOT WindieWeathers!! 8-) .

If you have a problem with my posts i'm sure there's a red box with an X in the middle that can put you out of your misery!!.
Nah man, you're funny.

stumpski

International Captain
Heh, just seen AB's stats - 30 from 127 balls. Fortunately this match can be put to sleep in a short time from now. Dowlin replacing Benn.

Howsie

International Captain
Clearly you haven't understood my views about Brathwaite, it's not just about his performances in the u19 world cup, that would be utterly frivolous and if that was the case i'd be calling for Shane Dowrich, Akeem Dwear and Yannic Cariah right now too, i've been backing Brathwaite because of his performances for Barbados at the end of the last regional season and for A-team against Zimbabwe of which he scored an 80 and 64, he let himself down a little in England recently but there's no doubt in my mind he would have scored more runs than Dowlin in this series, no doubt at all,

Dowlin getting a few lucky knocks doesn't mean jack to me, i knew he was rubbish and people like Mike tried to act like he was Barath #2!!, he might get himself a few runs today on this track but he's a waste of space imo and we would have done better with Dwayne Bravo or Deonarine opening instead.
Ah yes, the powerhouse attack of the Zimbabwans 8-) Again, he's 17, averages 29 in FC cricket (which is less then Dowlin btw) and hasn't even scored a FC 100. Honestly, would he have done any better then Travis Dowlin, I doubt it.

Regarding the whole Dowlin thing, you're missing the point. Mike nor anyone else for that matter is making him out to be anything more then what he is, a stop gap.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How good do you think he can be with more experience G-S? as good as Swanny possibly?.
It's hard to tell because of these dull pitches but he sure does have some potential to be a front line spinner for the Windies. My only complaint was that he resorted to darting the ball in way too much. When he gives it some air, and gets extra bounce, he certainly poses some problems. I hope they persist with him because he could be a very good addition to the attack.

Very pleased with the Windies attitude in the field today as well (From what I saw). Hope they bring that into the next test.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ah yes, the powerhouse attack of the Zimbabwans 8-) Again, he's 17, averages 29 in FC cricket (which is less then Dowlin btw) and hasn't even scored a FC 100. Honestly, would he have done any better then Travis Dowlin, I doubt it.

Regarding the whole Dowlin thing, you're missing the point. Mike nor anyone else for that matter is making him out to be anything more then what he is, a stop gap.
Erm are you Mike's "spokesman" now? i'm sure he can talk for himself 8-) , furthermore of course Dowlin's average is gonna be better at this stage!!, Dowlin was probably playing for Guyana before Kraigg was born!! :laugh: ,

My argument was simple, Dowlin simply isn't good enough and he's not even a proper opening batsman either, so why not give a kid who was on fire and made good scores against a team who've beaten the likes of India recently? :unsure: you can "doubt" all you want but there's a reason he's already in the A-team right now, he's a serious talent and the selectors are watching him closely.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's hard to tell because of these dull pitches but he sure does have some potential to be a front line spinner for the Windies. My only complaint was that he resorted to darting the ball in way too much. When he gives it some air, and gets extra bounce, he certainly poses some problems. I hope they persist with him because he could be a very good addition to the attack.

Very pleased with the Windies attitude in the field today as well (From what I saw). Hope they bring that into the next test.
I agree G-S, i think he's a fantastic find and i believe the more he plays at this level the better he'll get, Gibbo will have him working on all sorts of deliveries like the doosra, flipper etc, after his performances they would be crazy to drop him, though i admit dropping Benn right now would be harsh too but Shilly is the future so i'd stick with him tbh.

I'm just happy we didn't get embarrassed again, it's like the Australian tour all over really, killed in the first Test and fight back strong in the second Test, i just hope we can really put on a show in Barbados now, Barath is back, Rampaul will be replaced (i hope Andre Russell gets a chance), and Ramdin's position might come into question too!!, if we beat South Africa we go sixth in the rankings so Gibbo would have done well.