Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will K.P ever be an all-time great?

Will K.P ever be an all-time great?

Felt that is that time of his career that he decides his future, discuss...
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

In a word. "no"

He's past his physical peak with an average technique and not playing for "his" country

Reckon he'll be gone within a couple of years unless it's for money

Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Felt that is that time of his career that he decides his future, discuss...
    Will be 30 this year and supposedly approaching his peak as a batsman so I'm inclined to agree. Time to put away childish things and all that.

I think there are two schools of thought with Pietersen: the first says he gets himself out in daft ways too often and his average doesn't (& won't) do justice to his (obviously considerable) talent; the second, however, says "it's KP, innit? 'Sway he plays" and he's best left to get on with it.

I have sympathy with both views, tbh. I could do without shots like the one in the first innings at Cardiff where he fetched a Doogie Hauritz lollipop from 18 inches outside off and attempted to sweep it onto the leg side, but equally he does look a more fluent player when he goes for his shots. He's never going to be Jacques Kallis, but perhaps middle period KP might begin to exercise a wee bit more discretion at times.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I'd love to see KP finally kick on and make the most of his obvious talent, but I just don't see it happening. I think he'll end his career as one of those players that had heaps of talent, but never really took full advantage of it. Who knows though, the birth of his first child could lead him to 'mature' as a cricketer and put slightly more value on his wicket.

vcs
    He's averaging 50 with success under all conditions/opposition, so he's not far off. I'd like to see him subjugate his ego somewhat and show that he is capable of playing knocks where he holds the innings together and other batsmen go after the bowling, that is a dimension I haven't seen from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

I dont think he'll make it to an all time great status. He's a talented player for certain, but I dont think its likely that he will convert that into an all time great status.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    He's averaging 50 with success under all conditions/opposition, so he's not far off. I'd like to see him subjugate his ego somewhat and show that he is capable of playing knocks where he holds the innings together and other batsmen go after the bowling, that is a dimension I haven't seen from him.
    He may average about 50 but his best records are against a less than geat Oz, crap WI and the Bangas

Against everyone else, he's low to mid 40s and in all honesty, that's his level

Style over substance IMO

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    He may average about 50 but his best records are against a less than geat Oz, crap WI and the Bangas

Against everyone else, he's low to mid 40s and in all honesty, that's his level

Style over substance IMO
    I'm no KP fan but you can't knock his runs against Oz. Their bowling attack had McGrath and Warne.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Less than great? =/ He averaged over 50 against McGrath and Warne.

Oh please

He's scored runs off an old Warne and a geriatric and/or crocked McGrath

However, KP made his name at the Oval when Warne dropped a sitter off him on 0 and he's never come close to scaling the same heights again

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Someone's a bit bitter there methinks.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Nope

If anyone thinks he's in the same street as Tendy, Dravid, Ponting and Kallis then they're simply deluding themselves

Oh please

He's scored runs off an old Warne and a geriatric and/or crocked McGrath

However, KP made his name at the Oval when Warne dropped a sitter off him on 0 and he's never come close to scaling the same heights again
    An old Warne whose performance was widely acclaimed. He certainly has hit similar heights again.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    An old Warne whose performance was widely acclaimed. He certainly has hit similar heights again.
    When?

BTW, Warne and McGath retired 18 months later - are you seriously trying to suggest that 2005 was their peak?

When?

BTW, Warne and McGath retired 18 months later - are you seriously trying to suggest that 2005 was their peak?
    Egbaston in 2006, for instance. Genuinely cbf going through all his other Test centuries debating with you whether he hit similar heights to those he reached at the Oval in 05.

I liked the 3 laughing smiley faces, 3 straw men might have been closer to the mark. I didn't ever suggest McGrath was at his peak, although he was still an outstanding bowler (most people would agree that his performance at Lord's was among the finest fast bowling performances of all time).

And if you think Warne was below-par in that series, I think, with respect, you're in a small, muttering minority

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information