• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Immortal Knocks <100

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
1st Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Feb 27-Mar 1, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Sachin Tendulkar's twin fifties (76 and 65) against Mcgrath &warne + Gillespie and Fleming , at the Wankhede in 2001 was pretty similar to Rahul Dravid's twin fifties against the windies ,but could still not lead India to a win due to lack of support and being up against a very very strong team.Was a tough track too.

Much like Dravid has to be up amongst his best match performances too.Specially considering the lack of support and difficulty in both instances.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1st Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Feb 27-Mar 1, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Sachin Tendulkar's twin fifties (76 and 65) against Mcgrath &warne + Gillespie and Fleming , at the Wankhede in 2001 was pretty similar to Rahul Dravid's twin fifties against the windies ,but could still not lead India to a win due to lack of support and being up against a very very strong team.Was a tough track too.

Much like Dravid has to be up amongst his best match performances too.Specially considering the lack of support and difficulty in both instances.
Yeah, and his 2nd innings dismissal was so unlucky as well. :crybaby: Just when he looked like taking India to safety. However, a couple of other batsmen scored hundreds in that match, so it wouldn't qualify as an epic effort, IMO.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I recall Steve Waugh playing an awesome knock for 60 or 70 odd against Kumble in Dehli in 1996 when everyone else crumbled, cbf looking up the exact details.

Also credit to Michael Slater's effort in the first innings at Edgebaston in 2001, really set the tone for the whole series. Wasn't enough to save him from the axe three games later though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting's knock at Headingly 09 made a bad deck look a road.

One of those times you shake your head at the great ones, compared to how the mortals perform on the same pitch.
Struggling to remember that knock. I think my mind has blotted out that period in history.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ponting's knock at Headingly 09 made a bad deck look a road.

One of those times you shake your head at the great ones, compared to how the mortals perform on the same pitch..
I agree, looked a class above every other batsman in that test. I was amazed when he got out..

Spark

Global Moderator
Struggling to remember that knock. I think my mind has blotted out that period in history.
Vicious, vicious innings where he basically pulled everything that could be possibly pulled. However it wasn't nearly as bad a deck as England had made it out to be...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Turning the clock back, one of my favourite historical figures, Neil Harvey made a number of immortal scores less than 100 in conditions when no else could get going at all - to quote his great team mate Alan Davidson:
"He accumulated 21 centuries in Test cricket, but his genius could in no way be measured by runs. In fact, the innings I will always remember best were not century totals at all. Cold figures in a scorebook cannot tell the courage and skill that brought 92 against Tyson in Sydney (which was actually 92*), 69 against Laker and Lock on the Leeds powder wicket (that's the match before the Laker 19 wicket match), and his 96 on the mat at Dacca against the spiteful cutters of Fazal Mahmoud".

Of those innings, his 69 vs Laker and Lock came in a team total of 140, with the next highest score in the innings being 26 from Keith Miller. Lock and Laker took 18 wickets between them. His 92* vs Tyson was out of a team total of 184, with the next highest score in the innings being 16 from Favell - Tyson took 10 for the match. His 96 'on the mat at Dacca' (Dhaka) was on a surface described by the Aussie players as the worst they'd ever seen, with only Wally Grout with 66 making it past 20 with him that innings - Fazal took 5.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara's 80 odd on a crumbling pitch where Boje was bowlng like Bedi. As long as he was there, Commentators were talking of an Windies win. If you look up the scorecard, you will see how ludicrous the idea was and exactly why Lara is regarded so high "inspite" of great-yet-not-so-awesome stats...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
NICKY BOJE :cool:

Man I love that guy.
Octavius has been on the pop, IMHO. :ph34r:

Anyway, speaking of workmanlike SLA bowlers, would throw in Ash Giles's 50 in support of KP at The Oval in 2005. Things were looking very ropey indeed at one stage.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turning the clock back, one of my favourite historical figures, Neil Harvey made a number of immortal scores less than 100 in conditions when no else could get going at all - to quote his great team mate Alan Davidson:
"He accumulated 21 centuries in Test cricket, but his genius could in no way be measured by runs. In fact, the innings I will always remember best were not century totals at all. Cold figures in a scorebook cannot tell the courage and skill that brought 92 against Tyson in Sydney (which was actually 92*), 69 against Laker and Lock on the Leeds powder wicket (that's the match before the Laker 19 wicket match), and his 96 on the mat at Dacca against the spiteful cutters of Fazal Mahmoud".

Of those innings, his 69 vs Laker and Lock came in a team total of 140, with the next highest score in the innings being 26 from Keith Miller. Lock and Laker took 18 wickets between them. His 92* vs Tyson was out of a team total of 184, with the next highest score in the innings being 16 from Favell - Tyson took 10 for the match. His 96 'on the mat at Dacca' (Dhaka) was on a surface described by the Aussie players as the worst they'd ever seen, with only Wally Grout with 66 making it past 20 with him that innings - Fazal took 5.
Get the feeling Harvey arseholed his way through those knocks purely so he could tell off anyone who complained about anything as having it easy.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, speaking of workmanlike SLA bowlers, would throw in Ash Giles's 50 in support of KP at The Oval in 2005. Things were looked very ropey indeed at one stage.
Good shout.

And speaking of that match, how about Colly's 10 which none of us will ever forget (or was it 7? I forget). Very gritty stuff under a whole heap of pressure, ate up a lot of time.