• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting vs. Steve Waugh, Who Was the Better Batsman?

Who was the better batsman?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poll should be a landslide if people vote without their 'I-hate-ricky-ponting' hats on :p

Burgey

Ponting.

On reflection, by more than I initially thought, but not an enormous margin.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ponting.

This poll restores my confidence in the CW public, tbh. Couldn't believe how fashionable it had become over the past few weeks on here for people to underrate Ponting in the all time Australian stakes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Same happened with Tendulkar.

When players are in a trough its easy to forget how awesome they are/were.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The holy trio used to be:

Can't help but think that most people seem to think its become this now:

morgieb

Punter. Steve was a good batsman, but heck, you could argue he wasn't even the best batsman in his family! :ph34r: Ponting was also the best batsman for a few years during his career, and at his peak he was the gun.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know you're kidding, but there is no argument that can be made to say that Mark Waugh was a better batsman than Steve Waugh.

The term "better batsman" can never equate to "looked better".

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The hairy little chimp takes it for me. Not one of the more likeable Test players of recent years, to put it mildly, but there's no doubting the bloke's ability with the bat. Steve Waugh was so so good when the chips were down, so it's close, of course, but Ponting's ability to shred attacks wins it for me. Such a scary player when he gets going.

Sometimes, quite often in fact, I think he's the best batsman I've ever seen.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Waugh, just. So tight though. Facing attacks like the Windies and Pakistan provides the fractional advantage to Waugh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would take Ponting because he is the more attacking batsman. Same reason I would take Ponting over Dravid. More often than not making runs faster does help your team in tests imo which is opposed to the view Prince EWS holds (I think).

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
YouTube - Ricky Ponting 144 Vs England 2001

Ponting had scored like 70 runs in his last 12 innings before this innings and then he came out and dominated in bowler friendly conditions.

Oh yeah, and Steve Waugh:

YouTube - Steve Waugh 157* Vs England 2001

2:31 - 2:44

Australia 3/450 odd
England trailing by 270 odd runs.
Steve Waugh hits a boundry
Pause from the English commentators.

"This is looking oh so bad for England." - Bob Willis

LMFAO! Grovelling pom. Priceless...