• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic sledges

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Quite like that video tbh. Mainly the end that does it for me and the way he says it (42 million supporters, right here, depending on Shaun!), but also because Sanga seems such a good bloke that you can't imagine him saying anything worse.
I like it because that's what sledging should be. Pollock's come to the wicket, Sanga's indulged in a little bit of chat that's heaped the pressure right onto Pollock.

If Sanga had welcomed Pollock to the wicket with "alright you useless ginger ****, your team is **** and so is your mother in bed" I'd regard that as abuse, not sledging.

edit: the Flintoff video linked above gives 2 great examples of proper sledging as well. The first one he just shuts Bravo up brilliantly, the second one he gets Tino Best to play a ridiculous shot and throw his wicket away - Flintoff's reaction to the stumping said it all.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha. love Flintoff. I still don't get what's so funny about the "Mind the windows, Tino!" line though.
Because Tino Best reacted to it by attempting to charge down the wicket to Giles and hit the ball out the ground, missed and got stumped.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because Tino Best reacted to it by attempting to charge down the wicket to Giles and hit the ball out the ground, missed and got stumped.
Yeah, but I assume from the sledge that he'd been trying to do that before. And it's hardly unlike a tailender to have a swing...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I like it because that's what sledging should be. Pollock's come to the wicket, Sanga's indulged in a little bit of chat that's heaped the pressure right onto Pollock.

If Sanga had welcomed Pollock to the wicket with "alright you useless ginger ****, your team is **** and so is your mother in bed" I'd regard that as abuse, not sledging.

edit: the Flintoff video linked above gives 2 great examples of proper sledging as well. The first one he just shuts Bravo up brilliantly, the second one he gets Tino Best to play a ridiculous shot and throw his wicket away - Flintoff's reaction to the stumping said it all.
Yeah AWTA completely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best sledges are undoubtedly the non-peronsally abusive ones which cause your opponent to make a catastrophic error. I love perpetrating them, frankly. But I never, ever do unless provoked.

And of course they don't always work, which is what makes them so great in the first.

Sir Alex

Banned
Best sledges are undoubtedly the non-peronsally abusive ones which cause your opponent to make a catastrophic error. I love perpetrating them, frankly. But I never, ever do unless provoked.

And of course they don't always work, which is what makes them so great in the first.
This. Also it is hugely subjective what is personal or not depending on various things like the guy's culture, upbringing etc.

Which is why am opposed to any kind of talk in international matches. The symmo-Bhajji episod is perfect example. Although I don't agree with 'teri ma ki' either, as it is so foul mouthed that you don't expect to get away with it without a thrashing in a street in india.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This. Also it is hugely subjective what is personal or not depending on various things like the guy's culture, upbringing etc.

Which is why am opposed to any kind of talk in international matches. The symmo-Bhajji episod is perfect example. Although I don't agree with 'teri ma ki' either, as it is so foul mouthed that you don't expect to get away with it without a thrashing in a street in india.
Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
"Not for that"
"Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
"**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
"Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Indeed. Harbhajan's sledge of Symonds, imo, was the beginning of the end of Symonds' career. Not because of what was said, but because of what followed.

An already fragile personality just did not cope with the fall out and it was a slippery slope to oblivion.

Sort of thing I meant about non-offensive is when we were playing last year and the opposition needed about 10 to win, two wickets in hand.

Young bloke batting who'd had a bit to say. Ball goes down leg, flicks his pad. We all go up and he says "Get ****ed". I was at 1st slip and asked what was wrong. He said "you can't appeal for that". I said "mate, we can ask the question"
"Not for that"
"Why don't you just bat and let the unpire, umpire?"
"**** off, I'll shove this bat up your arse"
"Use the bottom so I get a thrill".
He goes down over his bat and just as the bowler is about to run in I said " Don't gas up young fella".
So he stops the bowler, turns to me, points his bat, looks at the umpire and says "he sledged me". Umpire didn't hear anything. Play on.
Next ball, spoons it to cover. We won by eight. Boys happy. To his credit he shook my hand after and admitted I'd got him good.

Sorry it was a bit long-winded.
Just out of curiousity, who do you play for mate?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In my team (recently defunct) we always used to give a little bit to the batsmen but it wasn't ever offensive. The more personal and offensive stuff was reserved for each other and, in particular, our skipper, who copped an awful lot.

Life on Limbrick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have to say that sledging is a great tactic in cricket, but is a difficult skill to perfect. I have played against and alongside some absolutely awful sledgers, who's box of tricks consists of expletives and mum jokes.

I think a lot of it depends of situations and who the opponent is, for example in my team we have played two games this season. In both games, after we had taken a wicket by bowling a batsman, and a new batsman was at the crease, the umpire paused the game for the square leg to straighten the stump.

In the first game, with the eldery umpire taking an age, i loudly professed that it was a waste of time as the stumps would be all over the place again in a minute, everyone laughed, including the batsman, who went on to get a few runs.

The next game, in the exact same situation I recycled the joke, and got the reply 'Your teeth will be all over the place', needless to say he was clean bowled first ball, and gave me a barrage of abuse when i suggested he could come back and I would ask the bowler to bowl underarm.

moral of the story - don't be a dick.

Also, when im batting I try and try and try not to get involved at all, unless you are good enough to bat all day and not get out, then you never win. To just smile or stare someone down seems to be enough to wind up the opposition. Ive also found when things are getting heated, just hovering your bat out of your crease results in an untold number of overthrows.