• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream ODI XI: Choose THREE middle order batsmen

Which THREE champions will form the middle order of your DREAM ODI XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Here are 30 names to choose your THREE middle order batsmen from.

First up are 16 batsmen who averaged > 40 against the major cricket teams

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Followed by 7 names with a 34+ batting avg and 80+ SR. I am adding 7 more batsmen with SR < 80 but with a proven ability to win matches on their own.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Please choose the THREE batsmen with the knowledge that Sachin and Gilly will open the batting. The bowlers already in the team are Akram, Murali, Garner and McGrath.

bagapath

International Captain
the last two places in the team will be open to the top runners up from this poll as well as the allrounders and the top runner up from the spinners poll.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went with fairly predictable choices - Ponting, Richards and Bevan. I hope Aravinda and Inzamam get a few votes. Pietersen is a good shout as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Viv
Jones
Bevan

As I said in the other thread, I'd probably prefer to have Dhoni in my team as a batsman and have Gilly miss out, but with Gilchrist already in the side, I don't like the idea of having two wicketkeepers in an all-time ODI side.

Think that there is a pretty good balance amongst those three. Viv being Viv, Deano with multiple gears and Bevan there to get the job done late. A Klusener underneath Bevan would provide a great balance for the death overs.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting probably a shade underrated here.

Seriously should be in the side for his captaincy alone. Three WC wins, two as captain, the second most WC runs of all time. Third highest ODI run scorer. One of the best averages of all time, which improves in big tournaments and the second most hundreds of any ODI batsman ever.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Going with the common vote.

Richards
Ponting
Bevan

Need to select an attacking all-rounder such as Zulu at Number 7 to perfect this side.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richards, Ponting and Bevan.

Symonds, Dhoni, Hussey, Jones and a few others unlucky.

Will Symonds be counted in the all rounder role, btw?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
In the same way that Tendulkar didn't need my vote, neither does Viv - so I've gone with Ponting, Deano and Zaheer Abbas. Three magnificent ODI batsmen who IMO are all under-appreciated to some degree.

Fusion

Global Moderator
In the same way that Tendulkar didn't need my vote, neither does Viv - so I've gone with Ponting, Deano and Zaheer Abbas. Three magnificent ODI batsmen who IMO are all under-appreciated to some degree.
I'm using the same logic for Bevan and assume he’ll easily get in (I simply have to vote for Viv, can't help myself). I’m gonna throw some love at Zaheer. He was a seriously good ODI player. I think the passage of time, and the fact there weren’t as many games televised back then, has eroded his impact on people’s memories.