• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The no stats thread

I like the cut of his cloth

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
Great call on Jackson, can’t believe I forgot him!

Was O’Neil an especially stylish or “beautiful” player? I know he was a dazzling strokeplayer and amazing to watch in full flow, but I suppose I’d always envisaged him as a dynamic, Lara-esque stroke maker rather than an effortless stylist.
Never watched him, but from what I have read the words stylish and graceful (two Ls or one?), are often used

Himannv

International Coach
Good list, I might add

Spooner
Tyledsley
Archie Jackson
Norm O'Neil
Polly C
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the bowlers of those times.

Barnes
Lohmann
Tyson
Spofforth
Turner
Trueman
Larwood

Nothing like seeing a quick bowler in full flow. Even better than seeing a stylist batsman IMO.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the bowlers of those times.

Barnes
Lohmann
Tyson
Spofforth
Turner
Trueman
Larwood

Nothing like seeing a quick bowler in full flow. Even better than seeing a stylist batsman IMO.
You could add Gregory and McDonald they said of the latter that he had the perfect runup and action.

Ernie Jones and Richardson, plus Cotter. Also a certain SA duo of the 50s sound as scary as any fast bowlers in history

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ernie Jones and Richardson, plus Cotter. Also a certain SA duo of the 50s sound as scary as any fast bowlers in history
Peter Heine especially - I reckon a new ball partnership of Heine and Roy Gilchrist would be well worth watching.

From a safe distance, obviously.

archie mac

International Coach
wasnt cb fry also supposed to be a stylish bat?
Ranji was the one, and it was said that Fry copied his style. I think 90% of the amateurs in the golden age were attractive to watch. But Ranji, Trumper and Johnny T were the main ones:)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
wasnt cb fry also supposed to be a stylish bat?
Cardus (and others) have tended to describe Fry as the more principled and solid of the great Sussex duo, but Ranji as the real stylist. Then again, those descriptions may be purely relative - from what I can gather, being less stylish than Ranji is a bit like being less of a curmudgeon than Trueman.

bagapath

International Captain
Ranji was the one, and it was said that Fry copied his style. I think 90% of the amateurs in the golden age were attractive to watch. But Ranji, Trumper and Johnny T were the main ones:)
a decade after them... charlie mccartney must have been a good looking bat... an aggressive one for sure... as it can be seen from a 68 SR in tests.. oops.... thats a stat... sorry....

archie mac

International Coach
a decade after them... charlie mccartney must have been a good looking bat... an aggressive one for sure... as it can be seen from a 68 SR in tests.. oops.... thats a stat... sorry....
Was a great batsman, some were still saying he was better than Bradman and this when the Don was at his peak. I think he was more of a cruncher of the ball, but was the best in the world for a couple of years

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a great story from one of his contemporaries of the 1920s (I've had a mental blank and can't remember who) about going out to bat with Macartney on the morning of a match. Charlie was taking strike and as they walked out quietly leant in and told him to be ready on the first ball. This player assumed the G-G meant for him to be ready for the quick single, so he was alert and poised to take off for the run. Macartney then smashed the very first ball of the day straight back down the pitch sending the bowler, umpire and Macartney's partner sprawling sideways to avoid it. Charlie walked up to his non-striker, tapped his brow and said "Always aim the first ball back at the bowlers head. They don't like it, it rattles 'em. After that you can do what you like."

WAG.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could add Gregory and McDonald they said of the latter that he had the perfect runup and action.
Have seen footage of both and what they say of McDonald is true, very smooth action. Like a combo of Simon Doull and Paul Reiffel at a decent clip.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Haha, 7 of 9 Australian voters have voted for Mark Waugh. They also form 7/9th of Waugh's total vote bank.

Talk about biased. Also, the only reason I can think of for Chappell not getting any votes is that the Aussies don't want to split their vote. They put all their eggs in Waugh's basket just so they could win another poll.

So ****ing pathetic.
It really took the Michael when they voted Crowded House the best band ever :laugh:.

(Jokes aside, I'm actually a fan of them :mellow:)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
wwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

post deleted because I'm a complete muppet

Last edited: