• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good/Great bowlers that owned good/great batsman...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually my point is if he scored a run a ball off Warne then he must have played at a ridiculously slow rate after Warne before getting out to have his SR drop to half. He never made a hundred when Warne bowled so he must have come out and smacked Warnie for a quick fifty then blocked out 10 or so overs before getting out.
so you say NS Sidhu was crap against Warne? OK, I admit. Murali cannot be be as good as Warne.

so you say NS Sidhu was crap against Warne? OK, I admit. Murali cannot be be as good as Warne.
No I siad "Sidhu srores at a SR of 50 in matches involving Warne".

Somehow you have "NS Sidhu was crap against Warne".

I cant see how you arrived at that.

Sir Alex

Banned
Time for self flagellation

Razzaq owning Tendulkar during the 99-00 series was so heartbreaking. He repeatedly used to exploit Tendulkar's weakenss at deliveries pitching on a length and darting in.

Ishant Sharma repeated it againt Ponting in the summer of 07-08 and autumn 08.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
No I siad "Sidhu srores at a SR of 50 in matches involving Warne".

Somehow you have "NS Sidhu was crap against Warne".

I cant see how you arrived at that.
See below my post from last night on "next battle" thread.

"if someone says "x is better than y" it must mean that not only is y worse than x but therefore he must be a complete joke/fraud/worst player ever."

Just the way the web community works.

Briony

International Debutant
Martin - Smith
Lillee - Amiss
Lillee - Cook

BTW G.Chappell scored nine tons against Underwood, though the latter did have success against him on real bunsens.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Venkatesh Prasad - Amir Sohail(one ODI/one moment but it did feel ****ing good :p)
Sourav Ganguly - all slow left arm bowlers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mcgrath/ambrose/walsh - atherton

oops... sorry. didnt realize both the bowler and the batsman had to be at least good if not great. athers was mediocre. so forget about it.
So not only are you wrong about Atherton being mediocre (in a negative sense) but you're also wrong about Ambrose and Walsh "owning" him.

By any yardstick Atherton enjoyed plenty of success against West Indies sides including not merely those two but Ian Bishop (and sometimes others) as well. Quality opening bowlers will get opening batsmen out if they play them many times - and Ambrose and Walsh certainly opened-up against Atherton many times.

Only in McGrath's case was it a matter of one bowler's clear superiority over a batsman. And as noted, McGrath had the better of most every batsman to face him - some merely faced him more than others.

So not only are you wrong about Atherton being mediocre (in a negative sense) but you're also wrong about Ambrose and Walsh "owning" him.

By any yardstick Atherton enjoyed plenty of success against West Indies sides including not merely those two but Ian Bishop (and sometimes others) as well. Quality opening bowlers will get opening batsmen out if they play them many times - and Ambrose and Walsh certainly opened-up against Atherton many times.

Atherton was nothing more than mediocre and thats being generous, his average of 31 against the WI with a SR of 37 from 50 innings suggests his was poor.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, an average of 31 (which was considerably higher if you consider only series' from '94 to '00) against some of the best bowlers history has known is not a shabby effort.

Atherton was a pretty decent Test batsman and nothing more or less.

Not really, an average of 31 (which was considerably higher if you consider only series' from '94 to '00) against some of the best bowlers history has known is not a shabby effort.

Atherton was a pretty decent Test batsman and nothing more or less.
No Atherton was a dud, fast bowlers walked all over him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Dilhara Fernando had his number good-and-proper, didn't he? And that Franklyn Rose, he didn't have a clue against him.

No, actually - in reality Atherton had no difficulty with seriously quick bowling in itself. Like any batsman top-quality bowling would dismiss him, but he was not one to throw his wicket away all that often.