• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nine Fielders Standing in the Slip

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have seen two pics of it. One is from a test match and one is an Australia-Zimbabwe ODI which came in Wisden. Can any one conjure up the pics? My cousin wants to see them. Also, would be nice to discuss occasions this has happened.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have seen two pics of it. One is from a test match and one is an Australia-Zimbabwe ODI which came in Wisden. Can any one conjure up the pics? My cousin wants to see them. Also, would be nice to discuss occasions this has happened.
DK Lillee vs New Zealand:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't find the latter pic at the moment but if it helps it was Damien Fleming bowling to David Mutendera in the Second ODI of that 1999/2000 series.

EDIT: here it is

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also, would be nice to discuss occasions this has happened.
Coverage of the Aus-vs-Zim game is, not surprisingly, not extensive (CricInfo was still a year or so away from fully covering every tour and this was a minor one; Wisden ODI reports are never particular priorities). From what little I know Zimbabwe were nine-down, Fleming was bowling brilliantly (finished with 10-14-3 - 3 wides and a no-ball), Mutendera survived for a little longer than expected (actually finished-up being dismissed by Andrew Symonds of all people), and Stephen Waugh just gradually brought the field up.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, I remember Waugh brought one man at a time up at least the last few fielders. Or that's what I recall. I could be wrong as memory is very vague.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
While I love seeing it, it's not the ideal fielding setup even for hat tricks where you don't care about runs at all, as a few other catching positions will probably give you a better chance of a wicket.

Still an awesome sight though - the DK Lillee picture is one of my favorites in cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Fleming-to-Mutendera one definately didn't, because as I say Mutendera actually lasted a little while and ended-up being dismissed by of all people Andrew Symonds. Not sure about the Lillee-to-Petherick one.

Stapel

International Regular
I'm not sure if there were nine, but I do remember an awful lot of slips when Harmison got his 7 for 12 at Sabina Park.

I think he got his last 2 wickets with a massive slip cordon. However, iirc, both dismissals were caught by first or 2nd slip or so.

Last edited:

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now - how would you describe that field using fielding postions..?

1st slip, 2nd slip, 3rd slip......6th slip, 1st gully, 2nd gully, square gully....:happy:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'm not sure if there were nine, but I do remember an awful lot of slips when Harmison got his 7 for 12 at Sabina Park.

I think he got his last 2 wickets with a massive slip cordon. However, iirc, both dismissals were caught by first or 2nd slip or so.
Harmison always had a short leg when bowling well.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
lol incredible stuff.......................

Wonder why their is a restriction of no more then 5 fielders on leg side? Whats the reason for that law?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Wonder why their is a restriction of no more then 5 fielders on leg side? Whats the reason for that law?
As he said, Bodyline. It was considered negative and harmful to the batsmen - bowlers would direct short pitched balls directly at the batsman's body in hopes that in trying to defend themselves, they'd hit it to a fielder on the leg side.

There are about a billion and a half books on it if you're interested. Some info here.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

As he said, Bodyline. It was considered negative and harmful to the batsmen - bowlers would direct short pitched balls directly at the batsman's body in hopes that in trying to defend themselves, they'd hit it to a fielder on the leg side.

There are about a billion and a half books on it if you're interested. Some info here.
It isnt restricted in the Laws of Cricket. See Law 41.something

The 5 fielder rule was brought into the County Champs in 1957. Not due to Bodyline but to balance out the advantage bowlers had from the earlier changed LBW law. Of course, the limit of 2 fielders behind square on the on-side was due to Bodyline but that is a different story.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was always brought up with max 5 fielders on the legside. However, it is not in the rules. Must be a common playing condition added in to competitions.

A point about the 5 fielder rule and the mistaken belief it has roots in Bodyline is that it did more to kill offspin bowling than anything else apart from uncovered pitches. Offspinners had to completely change their line of attack. It actually benefited quicks.

Last edited: