• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball tampering, does every team do it?

So does every team tamper with the ball

• Total voters

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The 2 problems I've got with walking:

What does a batsman who knows he's middled the ball onto his pads do when he's wrongly given out LBW? He's just got to accept the umpire's made a mistake and leave the field. Wrong decisions even themselves out, so I've no problem with batsmen getting on with the game when an incorrect decision is made in their favour.

Batsmen who are known walkers IMO can influence an umpiring decision. Gilchrist was a known walker, in a tight situation if I was umpiring and there was an appeal for a caught behind and Gilchrist remained in his ground that would insert enough doubt in my mind to give it not out.

Batsmen and fielders should "play to the whistle."
Most umpires dont let the fact that a player is known to walk have any influence on their decision, or at least they shouldnt. Just because a player admits to being out when he knows that he has hit the ball doesnt mean that when he doesnt walk he hasnt hit it, just that he is unsure if he hit it or not. You cant always tell especially if you hit the ground or your pad at the same time. I have been given out numerous times for caught behind by umpires who know me and know that I walk if I know I`m out. Most umpires will back their own judgement regardless.

As far as disrespecting the umpires decision goes I have a far bigger problem with the UDRS which is blatantly questioning the umpire and contradictory to the spirit of cricket guidelines

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most umpires dont let the fact that a player is known to walk have any influence on their decision, or at least they shouldnt.
Except umpires are human, and just as they trust a player is out when he walks, they trust he's not out when he doesn't...on some level. Whether or not that should overrule their initial perspective is irrelevant, because the fact is that it does bring doubt into the situation. No one is perfect, so why introduce an unnecessary influence of doubt?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's pretty irrelevent. If I commit a murder, that doesn't mean yours should go unpunished.

Not that I am equating the two, or that I think it's a big deal to see if you can get away with it.

He was an idiot for doing it so brazenly in an era of so many cameras - and doubly so after the Oval fiasco where the Pakistan threw a fit because being accused of cheating was impinging on their 'national honor'. Anyway, there is another thread for this, and I'll merge the two.

Last edited:

gap2

Banned
Tampering....

As I heard from sources about this I wanted to post it here ASAP to discuss with you all....
After tampering done in many ways , Cricket commentrator said: "Ball tampering is an open secret"..... Do you guys agree???? I agree with this statement as many of them do this but they are never caught....

jeevan

International 12th Man
Tax evasion seems to be a nice analogy to ball tampering :

- It's against the law, everywhere.
- In every country, there'd be someone who tries it.
- But countries are not all equal in clamping down on it, by law enforcement and by socially accepted norms.
- Regardless, in every country there'd be many who don't do it.
- Even in countries where compliance with law is relatively high, there are people who chafe at some aspects of the law, sometimes even on a philosophical basis over notions of fairness.
- But using the argument "every one does it" to do it yourself is neither factually correct nor conducive to having a law abiding society.
-And such an argument is most certainly no reason to change the law.

SS made an analogy to murder, but this might be more appropriate on many levels. Murder might be akin to match fixing.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I simply think that their should be set limits for one to use various methods to rough up the ball.....if you can alter the ball's deterioration by spit shining it and maintaining the shine of the ball, then equally should be allowed to expedite the deterioration of the ball via reasonable methods which should not include bottle caps or biting to be precise.

L Trumper

State Regular
Except umpires are human, and just as they trust a player is out when he walks, they trust he's not out when he doesn't...on some level. Whether or not that should overrule their initial perspective is irrelevant, because the fact is that it does bring doubt into the situation. No one is perfect, so why introduce an unnecessary influence of doubt?
Not really. Brian Lara was a walker and got poor decisions when he didn't nick the balls. I think it happened in lord's 04 test where he even made a comment in press about not nicking , standing but still being given out etc.

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tax evasion seems to be a nice analogy to ball tampering :

- It's against the law, everywhere.
- In every country, there'd be someone who tries it.
- But countries are not all equal in clamping down on it, by law enforcement and by socially accepted norms.
- Regardless, in every country there'd be many who don't do it.
- Even in countries where compliance with law is relatively high, there are people who chafe at some aspects of the law, sometimes even on a philosophical basis over notions of fairness.
- But using the argument "every one does it" to do it yourself is neither factually correct nor conducive to having a law abiding society.
-And such an argument is most certainly no reason to change the law.

SS made an analogy to murder, but this might be more appropriate on many levels. Murder might be akin to match fixing.

Very good analogy. The problem with allowing players to interfere with equipment is where does it end? If it is ok for the bowler to attack the rough side of the ball with a foriegn object then surely the batsman would be within his rights to drag his spikes across the shiny side. If a bowler needs that much assistance to swing the ball maybe he should concentrate his efforts on improving his technique rather than the condition of the ball.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Very good analogy. The problem with allowing players to interfere with equipment is where does it end? If it is ok for the bowler to attack the rough side of the ball with a foriegn object then surely the batsman would be within his rights to drag his spikes across the shiny side. If a bowler needs that much assistance to swing the ball maybe he should concentrate his efforts on improving his technique rather than the condition of the ball.
IMO, using foreign objects should always be a no-no. However, I think scratching with fingernails, or biting with your teeth, is ok.