• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barath vs Hughes

Howsie

International Captain
Barath. I've never really been that impressed by Phillp Hughes tbh (I didn't get to see the South African series mind you). Barath from what I've seen doesn't really have a major weakness like Hughes has, although he does play at balls he could leave sometimes.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Will reserve judgement.

Barath may well be the more talented of the two. But the chances of Hughes having the succesful Test career are more likely.

Hughes has the support of the most strongest coaching system in the world behind him. Hughes is also learning his trade in the strongest domestic competition available. Barath will have to do most of his learning at Test level, without the appropriate support networks and with the backing of a cricketing board with a diabolical talent management record.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Way too early to say but it is intersting to see the emergence of Hughes, Barath and Umar Akmal at the very end of this decade, a new generation is starting to form. Will be great to see how these talents emerge and who comes to dominate the next decade. Obviously it does not have to be any of these three, there are the older and more established starts such as de Villiers and Duminy (only played 6 tests but he feels established) and even the slighlty older still Gambhir, Clarke, Pietersen and Smith that are likely to play for most of the next decade. Would not care to guess which two or three will become the leading runscorers of the next decade and of course many more are likely to emerge but am looking forward to watching. (If I did have to guess now though I would say that de Villiers will be the leading run scorer of the next decade)

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Will reserve judgement.

Barath may well be the more talented of the two. But the chances of Hughes having the succesful Test career are more likely.

Hughes has the support of the most strongest coaching system in the world behind him. Hughes is also learning his trade in the strongest domestic competition available. Barath will have to do most of his learning at Test level, without the appropriate support networks and with the backing of a cricketing board with a diabolical talent management record.
One thing you are forgetting is that Barath is a product of an excellent system in T & T that is producing a lot of talented cricketers these days. Also he is managed by Brian Lara and Dwight Yorke, who set up a talent management company to help talented kids in the Caribbean get the training they deserve and to make sure things like their travel costs are met (a lot of young cricketers in Trinidad can't afford to meet the costs required to get to the nearest cricket club etc. Adrian was in that situation but managed get it around it by making a deal with the owner of Clarke Road cricket club). See this article for more.... Barath's dad discusses Adrians early cricketing days

Trust me, he could not have better people around him. When Barath scored his maiden FC century at the age of 16, a lone member of the crowd came sprinting onto the pitch. It was his father, who was so proud that he could not keep his emotions in check and ended up giving his son a hug in the middle of an FC cricket match:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Good lord, far too bloody early to tell at Test level.
FaaipDeOiad said:
These guys won't even be mature batsmen for another 6 or 7 years. Impossible to judge at this point.
Who said they where being judged or compared?. My aim in starting this thread was to compare their style of play which i think is VERY similar surprisingly.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see it, tbh. They both play their shots but in defence and attack, look completely different to me.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both very strong on the off side I suppose but totally different in aproach, one takes a big step across and the other steps away, really cannot see the similarity.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see it, tbh. They both play their shots but in defence and attack, look completely different to me.
Pothas said:
Both very strong on the off side I suppose but totally different in aproach, one takes a big step across and the other steps away, really cannot see the similarity.
That moving away from Hughes was only seen in the Ashes vs Flintoff though. In his other international matches vs SA & in Champions league that wasn't the case. Overall he is very still at the crease, just that his technique is unusual.

Overall IMO based on what i've seen of them i'd say both are short cats of course who have weird techniques (although its not 100% similar in approach). Both equally very strong through the off-side & are very aggressive againts the spinners.

tooextracool

International Coach
My opinion is that Barath is ridiculously overrated on these forums. I watched the highlights of his performance at Brisbane and he flays far too much at deliveries outside the off stump for my liking.

My own personal opinion is that Umar Akmal is far and away the most complete batsman at the moment and that Phil Hughes may well be the most talented out of the 3.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Despite your OP, you compare it in the title of the thread.
Thats just the title. So if anyone say that & clicked & saw my opening post, its clear my personal intention wasn't to compare them.

But even so i dont really see it as a problem if people want to comapre them & make sweeping calls about how their careers may go & this early stage tbf. Cricket fans always do that with young players who impress early, some live up to the expection & some dont.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket is like politics - beware the skyrockets. They launch beautifully, put on a spectacular show but so often a burnt out stick falls hard to the ground.

Apologies to the late Jack Lang.