• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barath vs Hughes

shivfan

Banned
I say Barath, but for different reasons than what's said above....

It's clear that Barath is head and shoulders above the rest of the youngsters in the Caribbean now, so I expect him to be in the WI side for the next 15 years. For example, Gayle has a Test average of just below 40, and his spot is not under threat.

In contrast, Hughes will probably face competition for his place for his entire career, which may be no longer than five years. There are a lot of good cricketers in Australia, and Hughes may just lose out to one of them....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I say Barath, but for different reasons than what's said above....

It's clear that Barath is head and shoulders above the rest of the youngsters in the Caribbean now, so I expect him to be in the WI side for the next 15 years. For example, Gayle has a Test average of just below 40, and his spot is not under threat.

In contrast, Hughes will probably face competition for his place for his entire career, which may be no longer than five years. There are a lot of good cricketers in Australia, and Hughes may just lose out to one of them....
No way, all of his competition right now are 30+ (I don't count Watto because I don't think he'll be at the top of the order for much longer). Even if only through attrition, he'll play plenty of Test cricket.

irfan

State Captain
Love it how CC goes giggity gaga with vs threads whenever some young kid performs well. Give it some ti me people - let them consolidate their position in the side before we start talking about how many runs/wickets they'll end up with and how they are so much better than their predecessors. Don't get me wrong I love it when a new star shines, but it's a bit early to start vs threads when all these young talents haven't even got their licence yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Love it how CC goes giggity gaga with vs threads whenever some young kid performs well. Give it some ti me people - let them consolidate their position in the side before we start talking about how many runs/wickets they'll end up with and how they are so much better than their predecessors. Don't get me wrong I love it when a new star shines, but it's a bit early to start vs threads when all these young talents haven't even got their licence yet.
Word. But its all in good fun, cricket fans can't help themselves sometimes when young star players emerge. A common achillies heel. Sometimes the early hype is vindicated (Tendulkar, Lara) or we get egg on our faces if the player fails to live up to that hype (Kambli, Hick).

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

My opinion is that Barath is ridiculously overrated on these forums. I watched the highlights of his performance at Brisbane and he flays far too much at deliveries outside the off stump for my liking.
Having seen much more of Barath than this Test series, I'm confident in his ability to become a world class opener. Hopefully the WICB doesn't (somehow) find a way to mess that up.

In fairness, I was hyping him long before he got called up. So was Lara.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Having seen much more of Barath than this Test series, I'm confident in his ability to become a world class opener. Hopefully the WICB doesn't (somehow) find a way to mess that up.

In fairness, I was hyping him long before he got called up. So was Lara.
Yep I have been following him since he was dominating the Under 15 competition at the age of 13. I'm not quite sure this 'flays at everything outside off' thing is a fair statement and can only be based on his 1 big innings in Australia when he was counter attacking in a hopeless cause.

Having seen much more of him as well I can say he usually bats with a sound temperament and scores all around the wicket.

It's interesting that Barath has not made himself available for the IPL auction even though he was extremely impressive in the Champions League and there was a lot of interest from a number of franchises. I can only assume it is a deliberate decision from his management to stop him from playing too much 20/20 cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I hope it's a deliberate decision, because I wouldn't want T20 glory to get into Barath's head just yet.

I remember years ago when they'd show brief clips occasionally of schoolboy cricket competition on the News in Trinidad. Barath was always among the runs, and you just knew he was going to be very good. And at the moment, no exaggeration, he's quite probably the best batsman in the Caribbean, aside from the established Test men (Gayle, Chanders, Sarwan). That might not mean much to people outside of the Caribbean, but it's a big deal for any teenager.

He's 19 and has 6 FC hundreds, a conversion rate approaching 50, a positive attitude and a top score of 192. And he's scored runs against England and Australia, so this isn't exactly Dwayne Smith incarnate. All the same, he shouldn't be considered Lara incarnate.

shivfan

Banned
Yes, lest we forget, Hughes got off to a good start to his Test career, and he's now struggling to get back into the side....

Duminy had a great start, and he's on the verge of being dropped. And Trott's not finding runs as easy to make as he did in his debut Test.

It remains to be seen if Barath can build on that impressive debut hundred.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes, but Barath definitely won't be dropped so easily. Australia can, and does, drop 40+ averaging openers almost at a whim (albeit for pensioners), and England and South Africa have at least a handful of decent FC performers auditioning for spots. Barath, like Gayle, will get a decent run in the side almost by default. Aside from the big three, and possibly Ganga, I can't think of anyone else who averages over 40 in regional competition right now.

Given the strength of the domestic competition in the West Indies, I think he's probably learnt all he can from it at the moment, even at 19. International experience seems the best developmental path. It's a shame really, but such is the plight of a poor cricketing nation.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but Barath definitely won't be dropped so easily. Australia can, and does, drop 40+ averaging openers almost at a whim (albeit for pensioners), and England and South Africa have at least a handful of decent FC performers auditioning for spots. Barath, like Gayle, will get a decent run in the side almost by default. Aside from the big three, and possibly Ganga, I can't think of anyone else who averages over 40 in regional competition right now.

Given the strength of the domestic competition in the West Indies, I think he's probably learnt all he can from it at the moment, even at 19. International experience seems the best developmental path. It's a shame really, but such is the plight of a poor cricketing nation.
Unfortunate truth. But it does seem like Trinidad has a good local cricket system & all. Why doesn't the WICB build an academy so that when young talent like Barath emerges they can go to the academy to fine tune those skills, given that they wont gain much from playing in a weak FC system.

With all the millions they got from Standford, i'm surprised they haven't done that yet..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Unfortunate truth. But it does seem like Trinidad has a good local cricket system & all. Why doesn't the WICB build an academy so that when young talent like Barath emerges they can go to the academy to fine tune those skills, given that they wont gain much from playing in a weak FC system.

With all the millions they got from Standford, i'm surprised they haven't done that yet..
It's the WICB is the answer.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well there's this.

On the whole, for all the rubbish the WICB does, I don't want to presume that this is not a funding issue. Yes, Stanford invested money in West Indies cricket, but I'm fairly certain he didn't pay them a lump sum. I can't see why he would have. And now he's not paying anyone any money, for obvious reasons.

A world class academy takes a significant investment of money, and the fact is that West Indies cricket doesn't generate much money on the whole. It's all well and nice to want an Academy, but until there's enough money to justify that investment, it won't happen properly.

Joel Garner recently commented that he thinks the ICC should reconsider its investment strategy. With due respect to minnows, he said that they should keep the immediate family healthy before trying to expand it in China and the like. West Indies has been a good, attractive, and necessary part of world cricket over the years and is now struggling financially. His point, which I agree with, is that it's surely more important to make sure you don't lose the West Indies before you try to gain the Chinas of the world.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hell yea. ICC needs to get over trying to get China & USA into cricket - especially test cricket. We got 8 strong nations in cricket, they should be more focused in making sure all of them are doing well from grassroots up. The ICC should definately help fund an academy in places like WI & NZ.