• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's 5 most unfairly treated players

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Ponting ever dismantled attacks of the quality of those who suffered some Lara and Tendulkar onslaughts in the 90s. I find over the last few years Kallis has dissapointed more often than not with the bat (for a player of his ability), and there is always the suspicion that he's a bit of a minnow basher.
I think it's just that Indian and Australian fans' voices are heard over South Africans tbh. You can pick holes in his batting, but Kallis's bowling puts him streets ahead of Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting in terms of value to the team anyway. But generally there's not many big Kallis fans around to argue his case.

bagapath

International Captain
I think it's just that Indian and Australian fans' voices are heard over South Africans tbh. You can pick holes in his batting, but Kallis's bowling puts him streets ahead of Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting in terms of value to the team anyway. But generally there's not many big Kallis fans around to argue his case.
I heard even Jacques' own mother is not too fond of his batting and makes him mow the lawn as punishment everytime he comes back home after another chloroform attack on innocent cricket fans.

Uppercut

Haha, well that's the point I guess. Boring but effective players are quite often underrated, I think.

bagapath

International Captain
Don't think Ponting ever dismantled attacks of the quality of those who suffered some Lara and Tendulkar onslaughts in the 90s.
I have been very happy to pounce on any opportunity to bash ricky. but i completely disagree with your post here. some of his knocks against the pakistan fast bowlers and the indian spinners (in australia) have been breathtaking to say the least. he is, arguably, better than lara in ODIs and only a few spots behind tendulkar in the all time rankings. the gap is even smaller in tests though I would rank him below lara and sachin.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil Dev - The most wickets of the 'big 4' bowling half the time on Indian pitches, and always as a one man army, with the same averages as the celebrated Ian Botham (who coincidentally batted a whole 33% slower than Kapil. I remember the word slumber being used a lot to describe the lower limit of a difference of 18% in another debate). Kapil, the one all rounder who actually lifted his game against the West Indies instead of bottling it. Yet he's spoken of as a sort of also-ran on these forums.

Jacques Kallis - apparently over rated by those who don't bother to browse through cricket related literature ordered off the internet.
Pedants' corner:
Botham batted 25% slower than Kapil. However Kapil batted 33% faster than Botham.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, well that's the point I guess. Boring but effective players are quite often underrated, I think.
Indeed so.

Cricket is, ultimately, a form of entertainment and enjoying certain players' styles more than others favourably predisposes one towards them. Whilst one might appreciate the almost pedantic textbook correctness of Kallis playing every ****ing ball on its individual merit, it doesn't quicken my pulse in the same way as Lara's late cut or Ponting's swivel pull.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thorpe seems to be often overlooked, personally think he's England's best since Gooch hung up his boots.

Hoggard, underrated by everyone IMO, especially the selectors, the least vaunted of the 05 pace attack, the only one of the 4 to give England reliable service over a fairly long period (apart from Harmison who was reliably ****).

I think these two get a fair amount of praise round here tbh. Particularly Hoggard whom some in explicably feel should have Broad's place in the team.

Don't forget Hussain & Atherton > Hayden in tests, Nick Knight > Gilchrist in ODIs.

Back on topic:
Hayden
Paul Harris
Ponting
Lillee
Broad
Mate, 95% of that flak is from you :p

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pedants' corner:
Botham batted 25% slower than Kapil. However Kapil batted 33% faster than Botham.
[Bagapath mode] Either way, Botham throws some real good slumber parties [/Bagapath mode]

Btw, Bagapath, genuine question- you wouldn't happen to be in advertising or show-biz, would you?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kapil Dev - The most wickets of the 'big 4' bowling half the time on Indian pitches, and always as a one man army, with the same averages as the celebrated Ian Botham (who coincidentally batted a whole 33% slower than Kapil. I remember the word slumber being used a lot to describe the lower limit of a difference of 18% in another debate). Kapil, the one all rounder who actually lifted his game against the West Indies instead of bottling it. Yet he's spoken of as a sort of also-ran on these forums.

Jacques Kallis - apparently over rated by those who don't bother to browse through cricket related literature ordered off the internet.
When we have statements like "Sobers didn't do half of what Kallis has done in his career", overrated does indeed seem an apt word.

And yes, Sobers is underrated by those who feel cricket is nothing beyond the cricinfo statsguru page and howstat.com.

bagapath

International Captain
[Bagapath mode] Either way, Botham throws some real good slumber parties [/Bagapath mode]

Btw, Bagapath, genuine question- you wouldn't happen to be in advertising or show-biz, would you?
:laugh: I work in movies bro.

Considering kapil's SR is almost twice as much as Kallis', slumber is a word I am not ashamed of using since this info demonstrates what a snail he actually is

Last edited:

Burgey

I think these two get a fair amount of praise round here tbh. Particularly Hoggard whom some in explicably feel should have Broad's place in the team.

Mate, 95% of that flak is from you :p
Bollocks. My views on gender and appearance have nowt to do with his ability :ph34r:

Uppercut

When we have statements like "Sobers didn't do half of what Kallis has done in his career", overrated does indeed seem an apt word.
Only when you take a remark on the physical stresses Kallis has to put his body under completely out of context.

Zinzan

Leads to another question which could arguably warrant it's own thread, that being;

What countries fans/supporters on Cricket Web are the most hard or unfair on their own respective teams relative to the teams actual performances?

Uppercut

Leads to another question which could arguably warrant it's own thread, that being;

What countries fans/supporters on Cricket Web are the most hard or unfair on their own respective teams relative to the teams actual performances?
The English. Thread closed.

Zinzan

The English. Thread closed.
Definitely England on the face of it, but I did mean unfair & unjustified criticism. The vile criticism of England's recent one-day performances is well & truly justifiable.

Uppercut

Definitely England on the face of it, but I did mean unfair & unjustified criticism. The vile criticism of England's recent one-day performances is well & truly justifiable.
They're missing Broad, Flintoff and KP though. That's their three best ODI players for me.

More to the point, they cop unheard of criticism whether they're playing badly or not. The abuse they're getting now is nothing compared to what they got during the ODI series in the West Indies. "England are worse than Bangladesh in ODIs" and all that. And they ****ing won that series!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed so.

In fact certain Aussie posters laying waste to their own ODI team's batting (and in particular that of their stand-in captain) despite being 3-0 up in the current series looks harsher IMHO.