• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This is precisely the sort of attitude that got the over-rated hack into the team. Domestically he averages 30 and strikes at 70. That's barely good enough to hold his place in Kent's one day team, really. Today was a perfect example of the sort of innings that has got him those sort of stats throughout his career - a solid looking but slow start at the crease followed by a get-out shot. He may have 'looked good' to you today but he scored 25 off 43 balls and his record indicates he does that sort of thing a hell of a lot, so looking good really doesn't mean very much at all.
Sounds fair to me. Whilst you can't judge a player after 2 or 3 international games, a List A record as moderate as his does beggar the questions why he's been picked anyway.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Man what a third grade top order Eng. has right now? exception is Strauss but Denly, Bopara and now Prior......????????? can't they find a class middle order batsman?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Surely you know why he's been picked? He's scored a few runs on Sky, has been hyped by Hussain, Lloyd and the rest of the team for the last year, and the result of this......England selection. Happens far too often. Just need to get the Sky team to start hyping the right players. Jonathan Trott would be a start.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is precisely the sort of attitude that got the over-rated hack into the team. Domestically he averages 30 and strikes at 70. That's barely good enough to hold his place in Kent's one day team, really. Today was a perfect example of the sort of innings that has got him those sort of stats throughout his career - a solid looking but slow start at the crease followed by a get-out shot. He may have 'looked good' to you today but he scored 25 off 43 balls and his record indicates he does that sort of thing a hell of a lot, so looking good really doesn't mean very much at all.
He is just 23. He is bound to have flaws in his shot play, composure but the talent is there IMO. That's what I saw when I say he looks good. I am some one who believes in throwing the player into the deep end of the ocean if the selectors feel he is ready. You don't have to have great FC stats to be selected in the team. Denly was doing well in A tours. It is fair enough to give him a run. If he fails, that's a chance missed but at least the selectors tried.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have no problem with Denly holing out, indicates he has some intent and wants to be aggressive but he isn't. He is one of these guys who plays the big shot every other over. Bracken and Hopes were there for the taking considering Lee was a bit too hot but Denly instead plays one positive shot and then precedes to pad up for the rest of the over. Annoying and Bopara is exactly the same.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sounds fair to me. Whilst you can't judge a player after 2 or 3 international games, a List A record as moderate as his does beggar the questions why he's been picked anyway.
Yeah, I should make it clear that I'm not bagging him because I think it's actually fair to get a new player into the team then discard him if he doesn't set the world on fire immediately. I've been very critical of the selection since the very start, before he'd played at all. Unlike others I don't think the only cricket worth considering is international cricket - if he'd come into the team averaging 40 for Kent in his career at a strike rate of 85 I'd be more than happy to see him given an extended run.

It's his domestic record and the fact that he gets wraps for doing very little that grinds my gears, particularly if you look at the crap Ian Bell gets on this forum. Bell's done better for England in one day cricket than Denly has for Kent - TBH they're very similar.. they regularly get off to decent if not slightly slow starts and then get out just when it's time for them to up the pace, leaving you with an essentially useless, resource-wasting contribution.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He is just 23. He is bound to have flaws in his shot play, composure but the talent is there IMO. That's what I saw when I say he looks good. I am some one who believes in throwing the player into the deep end of the ocean if the selectors feel he is ready. You don't have to have great FC stats to be selected in the team. Denly was doing well in A tours. It is fair enough to give him a run. If he fails, that's a chance missed but at least the selectors tried.
Was he?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Have some faith, damit!
Quite difficult to have faith when your side is 5-0 down, chasing a score that's never been chased by England, in England before and in a player with an ODI top score of 60. I love Ravi, but he's not going to score a match winning hundred here. He's scoring too slowly, and he'll suddenly think he has to play a big shot, and smack it in the air to one of the outfielders.

Prior's gone. This is going downhill rapidly. We're so screwed.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
^ Don't know what you you mean..but Bell has a much better technique then Denly,......at least looking at this game so far from Denly...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When he's ready, he'll actually start doing something for Kent consistently. He did have a better time of this season but it's a really small sample size; he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Even Ian Bell is a better one day batsman at this point and that is saying something.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it was his eye-catching initial FC form (was averaging 50+ after a dozen or so games) that got him marked down as a possible England candidate and the selectors have just chosen to ignore the fact his average has now dipped to 36-ish. There's still that thinking in our cricket that has limited overs marked down as dry runs for tests IMHO.

Although he's actually had by far and away his best List A season this year, tbf to him.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a massive backing for the formulaic approach to selection on CW and I may be accused of being one such member, but it is good to see a respectable member backing visual talent at international level. It would be good to see more debate of the sort on CW, but it would appear that respected non-formulaic selection backers would be seriously outnumbered here.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now even if Bopara does not get out....he just cost England the game...............
:laugh: You've got to be joking haven't you? He only ran out Prior.....

Ohh, and now Shah's involved in a run out, how surprising.

What's our worse loss in ODI's??

Last edited: