• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Swing

Craig

World Traveller
i hate it when someone starts ******* agianst pakistan, if i'm not mistaken GOUGHY is from england, so before calling pakistani bowlers cheaters, he should call English team cheaters also, they won 2005 ashes cuz of cheating then
& what ICC should do is to ban everything Pakistan does for reverse swing & allow everything others do
still Pakistani bowlers reverse the ball more
why the example has to be about PAKISTAN??????????????????

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scruff a Ball one side and Keep it shiny on the other side + you have to make sure when releasing the ball that the shiny side is facing the side you want the ball to swing to
I'm not sure that's 'reverse swing'...it would be if it actually went towards the shiny side. But it's unlikely without you doing something else to the ball first.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Load the side of the ball which is in better condition with moisture (this changes the weight distribution of the ball) and keep it smooth
Yeah, I was taught something similar years ago buy a guy that played at our club. Funnily enough, I never really used it, except at the nets.

FBU

International Debutant
The Aftermatter: The Physics of Cricket: What is 'Swing Bowling'?

'If you did begin to bowl at 100 mph or more, then you may begin to notice reverse swing with even a new ball'.

I am interested in what speeds you need reverse the ball. Cooley says 85mph but if the ball is really rough 80mph.

'Cooley wonders if reverse-swing is something which spinners can do; and, as an experiment, Simon Jones had cut his pace down to 50mph and still reverse-swung the ball, but only when it has been roughened up beyond the legal limits'.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Reverse swing is a lot more natural than people think IMO. It just occurs when one side of the ball becomes heavier than the other; due to the rough side losing leather and the shiny side gaining moisture. Both these things occur naturally when shining the ball to generate conventional swing.

You don't need to be able to bowl 90mph to get the ball to reverse. I've done it a few times without any attempt to do so, bowling my 65mph mediums. In fact on one of two occasions I've changed a ball I'm using in the nets, usually from a newish one to an older one, only to find it to swing in the opposite direction without me changing anything when delivering the ball.

Obviously there a certain factors that help, such as pitch abrasiveness which causes the ball to scuff up quicker and to a more severe degree, but it's not voodoo work, and I'm really surprised more bowlers haven't mastered it.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
The Aftermatter: The Physics of Cricket: What is 'Swing Bowling'?

'If you did begin to bowl at 100 mph or more, then you may begin to notice reverse swing with even a new ball'.

I am interested in what speeds you need reverse the ball. Cooley says 85mph but if the ball is really rough 80mph.

'Cooley wonders if reverse-swing is something which spinners can do; and, as an experiment, Simon Jones had cut his pace down to 50mph and still reverse-swung the ball, but only when it has been roughened up beyond the legal limits'.
You are not going to get swing with the new ball. For starters, both sides are in the same condition so how would you tell. You also need the two sides of the ball to be in different conditions to get reverse swing.

It probably is true that the faster you bowl, the newer the ball can be for reverse swing. Just not new.

Jager

International Debutant
I'm not sure that's 'reverse swing'...it would be if it actually went towards the shiny side. But it's unlikely without you doing something else to the ball first.
In Bob Woolmer's 'Art and Science of Cricket', I remember he said that the ball will reverse in different directions on either side of around 135km/h, I believe. Would that be plausible?

Jager

International Debutant
what do you mean either side of 135 km/h? at 90 km/h too?
I meant that from what I can remember, he was saying that a ball that was swinging in at 110km/h could be bowled with exactly the same action at 135km/h and it would swing out. I will have to dig up that book and find out.

Debris

International 12th Man
I meant that from what I can remember, he was saying that a ball that was swinging in at 110km/h could be bowled with exactly the same action at 135km/h and it would swing out. I will have to dig up that book and find out.
You would have to change the seam angle to get it to swing the other way. Angle of seam is the most important factor in which way it will swing (if it swings). Might be possible with the same bowling action.