• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Clichés

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I get annoyed when a commentator says to a player out of form or struggling a little...

"He'll be looking for a good/confident start"

bagapath

International Captain
"that would help"

when an easy half volley is put away to the boundary, especially early in the innings.

Dissector

International Debutant
After an unintentional boundary: "it doesn't matter how the runs come so long as they come"

After a run-out scare: "the last thing they need is a run-out"

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When they have the other team for 1/10 or so and the commentators say "This is the best possible start for the bowling team." The best possible start would be 10/0 off 1.4 overs, ****s.

Briony

International Debutant
"It's all happening."

"The Adelaide Oval is the world's most picturesque ground."

Random pitch on the first morning of the match which looks flatter than the proverbial pancake. "It will do a lot during the first hour."

Ponting rarely misses hitting the stumps, quite often said as he misses them several times during the one innings.

Ian Chappell - "Turning blind is a cardinal sin."

"Stephen Fleming was a great captain."

"The crowd's come to see David Warner."

Richie Benaud - "It's time to revert to the backfoot rule."

Jim Maxwell - "Let's hope the fickle Melbourne weather doesn't intervene."

Jim Maxwell when it's pissing down in Sydney "It's only mizzle.!"

Ian Chappell - "Kevin Pietersen's technique is actually very orthodox."

Ian Chappell ad nauseam - "I've always thought the best matches were when the team batting first scores in the region of 240."

Mark Nicholas "It's Albertus powerplay time."

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That annoying definition- "An all-rounder is someone who can fit into any team on batting or bowling".

That's a very ideal player, but many active all-rounders today are not capable enough on at least one skill.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry to bump an old thread I started, but I felt obliged to do so in honour of Dominic Cork's recent embarrassing appearance on TMS in Bangladesh.

"[insert banal observation here]... and that's why it's called 'Test' cricket"

"Behind the 8-ball"
[NB: Corky actually has a series of variations of this, including "miles behind the 8-ball" and similar. He obviously hasn't got a clue what it means.]

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great thread.

Sunil Gavaskar : "WHY ISN'T HE SLIDING THE BAT IN? This is the first thing schoolboy cricketers are taught, SLIDE THE BAT IN! Don't plonk it over the crease" etc. etc. ad nauseum. Have to say it frustrates me to see Indian batsmen/tailenders doing it over and over again though, so can't blame him.

"He timed that too well" when a batsman picks out a fielder in the deep.

"Anil Kumble is a thinking cricketer" was a pretty popular refrain.

"Taking wickets is the best way to bring the run-rate down" invariably gets an airing in any random ODI.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
After a half volley is deposited through the covers for four:

"...the fielders didn't even have to move..."

"...that came right from the middle of the bat...."

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry to bump an old thread I started, but I felt obliged to do so in honour of Dominic Cork's recent embarrassing appearance on TMS in Bangladesh.

"[insert banal observation here]... and that's why it's called 'Test' cricket"

"Behind the 8-ball"
[NB: Corky actually has a series of variations of this, including "miles behind the 8-ball" and similar. He obviously hasn't got a clue what it means.]
I was particularly impressed with his line during England's successful run-chase at Dhaka:

"That's a beautiful shot from a beautiful half-volley"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Behind the 8-ball"
Cliches borrowed from other sports grind my cricketing gears. Especially "stepped up to the plate". It's not baseball, FFS!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cliches borrowed from other sports grind my cricketing gears. Especially "stepped up to the plate". It's not baseball, FFS!
Yeah, that one really annoys me. It's spilled over to virtually every other sport.