cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Is Ricky Ponting on the decline?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 53.49%
  • No

20 46.51%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ponting : Beginning of the End?

Banned

Ricky Ponting : Beginning of the End?

"Everything that has a beginning, has an end"

Ricky Ponting has mesmerised and made us exclaim with his aggressive brand of cricket for so many years now. His statistics are testimony to his vast skill and superiority in the art of driving the opposition bowlers to submission. He has been there and done that, perhaps with the exception of a triple ton, which even his greatest peer, Sachin Tendulkar also lacks, and perhaps his play in India. Make no mistake, those stats become more or less irrelevant in the context of his full career so far. An average that hovered consistently around 60 for close to 4 years, without assistance from playing minnows, and truckloads of hundreds in a short span of time. No wonder, Australia's dominance in World Cricket can almost be exactly superimposed on the Tasmanian's career graph.

However, as they say, "Everything that has a beginning has an end"

Like all sportsmen, Ponting is no machine, but only human. His past few seasons have started to show this aspect more often than not. And statistics, being the double edged sword they are, are not exactly speaking for his cause. The downturn in fortunes have also reflected in a corresponding decline for the Australian Team as such.

Let's see the numbers :

Since Ashes 2007-08,

Code:
    Opposition	Mat	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	SR	100	50
    v India		8	14	0	534	140	 38.14 	54.04	2	2
    v New Zealand	2	3	0	100	79	 33.33 	63.29	0	1
    v South Africa	6	12	0	495	101	 41.25 	66.62	1	4
    v Sri Lanka	2	3	1	140	56	 70.00 	55.33	0	2
    v West Indies	3	6	0	323	158	 53.83 	65.25	1	1

Overall		21	38	1	1592	158	 43.02 	60.37	4	10
    While most mortals would be chuffed with such an average in Test Cricket, it is disappointing for the masterly talent of Ponting. And the fall in form is even more drastic if his performances against West Indies, who have languished at the bottom of the tables for so long, and Sri Lanka, who hardly have anything to speak of outside Sri Lanka are discounted.

Since the beginning of the current season, the decline has been even more stark.

Code:
    Opposition	Mat	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	SR	100	50
    v India		4	7	0	266	123	 38.00 	50.86	1	1
    v New Zealand	2	3	0	100	79	 33.33 	63.29	0	1
    v South Africa	6	12	0	495	101	 41.25 	66.62	1	4

Overall		12	22	0	861	123	 39.13 	60.46	2	6
    It is a record which Micheal Atherton would be proud of. However, his performances have hardly been match winning as they used to be in the past. And never before his weaknesses, particularly against quality fast bowling has been so apparent.

Which slowly but inexorably leads to the dreaded question, "Is he past the peak?"
    Last edited by Fidel Castro; 22-03-2009 at 07:29 AM.

Ignoring the fact that he's been injured for most of the time in question, his stats have dropped off and it's due to 2 things

a. Failure to convert starts; and

b. A technique that relies on keeness of eye and quick feet, both of which slow down as you get older

I wouldnt write him off just yet (as a return to fitness would "may" be all it needs) but certain worrying signs are there

I said this a while ago as well, and honestly believe he won't pass Sachin's total runs.

Ponting is an absolute legend, and easily in the top 3-4 batsman I've ever had the pleasure to watch. But he's played a **** load of cricket, and I think people forget how young he started. Just like so much cricket has taken its toll on Sachin, it will with Ponting too.

I imagine he'll still be a very very good test player for a few years, but I can see his batting average falling to around 53-54.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Nah, just had a bad go of it in India and the team's had so much pressure, been chopped and changed, that it's probably been his most draining period as captain. I think once the team stabilises again he'll return to form. He's too good not to IMO. Even when he does decline I think it'll be slower than this, the guy's a run machine.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    I voted that yes he's on a decline. I still suspect he'll do very well, it's just he's not going to be as consistent.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Susucambriastro.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I said this a while ago as well, and honestly believe he won't pass Sachin's total runs.
    Ponting has scored 10310 runs against non-minnows, a mere 805 behind Sachin (who has 11115 in 27 more innings). Sachin will definitely retire before Ponting, who will have roughly 27 innings to catch up on roughly 805 runs, assuming they both play equally well from hereon to Sachin's retirement. He needs to average about 30 runs per inning thereon to achieve that target. Barring a serious injury or drop in form, there's every reason to believe he'll do it comfortably.

Also interesting to note is the fact that Sachin has 36 centuries as opposed to Ponting's 35 - again in 27 more innings.

And really, who cares about runs against Zim and Bang?
    Last edited by Evermind; 22-03-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Banned
    What is remarkable is that it has been quite a while, and he has been making runs here and there, which suggests it may not be exactly a temporary blip. And as Social said above, the injuries are taking their toll on him. He's pushing 35, which is good old age in cricket, and I cannot see him reversing the current trend spectacularly.

Unless, of course, England has different plans. A dose or two of A Khans and S Mahmoods might just be what the doctor ordered.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I suspect standing down as captain would sort out his form - so I hope he doesn't

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Ponting has scored 10310 runs against non-minnows, a mere 805 behind Sachin (who has 11115 in 27 more innings). Sachin will definitely retire before Ponting, who will have roughly 27 innings to catch up on roughly 805 runs, assuming they both play equally well from hereon to Sachin's retirement. He needs to average about 30 runs per inning thereon to achieve that target. Barring a serious injury or drop in form, there's every reason to believe he'll do it comfortably.

And really, who cares about runs against Zim and Bang?
    Ouch a tad harsh on Tendulkar there. Agreed, he has scored tonloads against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. However, what you have discounted is the fact that Zimbabwe were very much a competitive unit for most of Tendulkar's career, till the early 2000s. I'd even put the then Zimbabwe on par, if not above, today's New Zealand and West Indies.

Once you figure in those runs, it will be pretty difficult for Ponting to surpass Tendulkar, and considering that Tendulkar is seemingly ageing backwards these days, thanks to some cunning and intelligent management by Kirsten & Co., I can see him playing right till 2011, and that Ponting and Tendulkar might even retire at the same time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Of course he's in a decline. With the amount of cricket played to day it is very tough to continue to average high 50s. However, he's far from a Hussey like slump.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I suspect standing down as captain would sort out his form - so I hope he doesn't
    Would agree there. On both counts, actually.

But seriously tho, what is the objection Australia has to selecting ex-rips once their captaincy has ended? It's not like Punter is exactly of the first water of captains anyway.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evermind View Post
    ponting has scored 10310 runs against non-minnows, a mere 805 behind sachin (who has 11115 in 27 more innings). Sachin will definitely retire before ponting, who will have roughly 27 innings to catch up on roughly 805 runs, assuming they both play equally well from hereon to sachin's retirement. He needs to average about 30 runs per inning thereon to achieve that target. Barring a serious injury or drop in form, there's every reason to believe he'll do it comfortably.

Also interesting to note is the fact that sachin has 36 centuries as opposed to ponting's 35 - again in 27 more innings.

And really, who cares about runs against zim and bang?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Great retort. Accurate and convincing.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yes, I do think he is on the decline. However, decline does not mean a bad player, it just means not as good as he used to be. I think he will continue to be a good player, and I do think with the amount of Tests Australia play, he will overatake Sachin.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information