• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which CW chestnut gets your goat?

Which question annoys you most, and your position on that question

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The one that most gets on my **** is the idea that only players with good/great FC figures are worthy of a go at test cricket when it's demonstrably not the case.

If the brute stats were all that mattered Trescothick & Vaughan would both have failed miserably and Hick and Ramps would've had successful test careers. Selectorial judgement must play a part or all Dusty would need is a quick look at cricinfo every now and then.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most annoying to me is:

Ireland & Scotland should be forced to be part of the England team and the Irish and Scottish teams shouldn't exist.

Total bollocks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most annoying to me is:

Ireland & Scotland should be forced to be part of the England team and the Irish and Scottish teams shouldn't exist.

Total bollocks.
Probly falls into the "stuv wot only Dicko believes" category along with the first chance average and Mother Theresa being a betting opening bat than Matty Hayden.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That theory itself may be a Richard-only one, but it is does tend to lead to a repetitive discussion about whether Northern ireland is part of Britain etc (it isn't FTR :ph34r:)

duffer

People who try and find fault with everything the BCCI does.

I understand some of the criticism is very fair and I'm not a fan of the organisation at all but it seems a lot of posters just blindly criticise without even trying to understand what the possible motivation behind their actions is even if they don't agree with it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Two for me

Stats aren't the most important thing when judging a player - Sorry, but what? If they are used in the correct context, then what else are you going to judge a player on? Deadset the most important thing in the game, and something that cannot be changed

Murali's action is legitimate - Another fact, Abdul Qadir is actually my mother

Langeveldt

Soutie
Most annoying to me is:

Total bollocks.
So why in athletics does Scotland compete under Great Britain? It's a dire enough place as it is without having to be in two countries at the same time

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
None of the issues is a huge big deal for me. I suppose the only real one that gets me is the 'it's not perfect so we can't use it' crowd.

As for what I think (not that anyone asked for it :p):
  • Spinners are used and should be used, because you don't have four quicks of that quality most times. No one is arguing against using a spinner in most circumstances, its all time sides when you do have quick replacement of sufficient quality available.
  • As for selection, I don't see what else you can look at for Test criteria. U-19 tours are a joke.
  • Murali - yawn.
  • I think failure anywhere can potentially make a player inferior. Why single four countries out?
  • Murali vs. Warne - yawn.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two for me

Stats aren't the most important thing when judging a player - Sorry, but what? If they are used in the correct context, then what else are you going to judge a player on? Deadset the most important thing in the game, and something that cannot be changed

Murali's action is legitimate - Another fact, Abdul Qadir is actually my mother
Jimmy Anderson msut have just bowled a sack of ****e in the Caribbean hey

HeathDavisSpeed

So why in athletics does Scotland compete under Great Britain? It's a dire enough place as it is without having to be in two countries at the same time
Don't ask me. Scotland aren't allowed to compete as a separate country under IOC rules as they aren't a separate "country" as such, but given the opportunity where they are allowed to compete separately (Commonwealth Games) they seize the opportunity with relish.

With cricket they are allowed to compete separately under their own terms and should be free to do so rather than forced, as Richard would have them, to NOT COMPETE under the "England" banner.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

"If they are used in the correct context" being the operative phrase.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't ask me. Scotland aren't allowed to compete as a separate country under IOC rules as they aren't a separate "country" as such, but given the opportunity where they are allowed to compete separately (Commonwealth Games) they seize the opportunity with relish.

With cricket they are allowed to compete separately under their own terms and should be free to do so rather than forced, as Richard would have them, to NOT COMPETE under the "England" banner.
Olympics are a pretty good rule of thumb, actually. Except for the Commonwealth Games.

Generally speaking if it's an Olympic sport we compete as Britain; if not it's as England/inferior Celtic nations.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who's Scottish automatically qualifies to play for "England" anyway. This is why Scotland will never improve significantly. Any individual who's good enough and wants to play Test Cricket will play for England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So? Come back when he's taken some wickets.
Haha, so I'll just look at cricinfo and decide that becauase he averaged 38 he bowled ****, what dross, and you know it as well

Stats are sueful but you can't use them in isolation to assess individual performances. As Upeprcut said, in Jimmy's case his career stats probably balance out overall at the minute as he had a lot of lucky wickets earlier in his career. But stats alone don't tell you a whole lot.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I hate the people that claim Murali's a chucker, when it's been proven he isn't. Just shows complete ignorance. At least with the other options there's generally no right or wrong answer and it sparks debate, whereas the Murali's a chucker arguments result in the clever people justifying their arguments and the muppets just coming out with "I don't care if he's done the tests, he looks like he chucks. He's a chucker."