• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell vs. Border vs. Waugh

Who was the greatest middle-order player for Australia post 1970?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
So, in the sense that your concerns about it have nothing to do about the quality of the cricket played, and hence your interjection meaningless?

Precambrian

Banned
So, in the sense that your concerns about it have nothing to do about the quality of the cricket played, and hence your interjection meaningless?
On hindsight, without pretending otherwise, yes I am embarassed at the timing of that interjection.

bagapath

International Captain
hayden
langer
ponting
g.chappell
border (c)
s.waugh
gilchrist (Iwk)
warne
lillee
mcgrath
reid

reserves: mcdermott, m.taylor and healy

sorry to go off topic. but just want to complete the statement i am making by talking about the other big team of the same era. it must be west indies. and this is my take on the best xi of that country in post packer years to be pitted against the aussie team given above

greenidge
haynes
richards
lara
lloyd (c)
chanderpal
dujon (wk)
marshall
holding
ambrose
garner

reserves: walsh, richardson and gayle

for me, the aussie team's middle order's relative superiority (including gilchrist) will determine the outcome of a dream match between them. the bowling and the opening slots look pretty much even.

infact, ponting, g.chappell, border and s.waugh can be equal to any dream xi's middle order. four bloody minded aggressive bats. two of them being street fighters specializing in back to the wall situations and in working with the lower order and the two above them all round stroke makers capable of dominating any attack. i just wish ponting were included in this poll. would have given a chance to discuss punter vs chappell.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
sorry to go off topic. but just want to complete the statement i am making by talking about the other big team of the same era. it must be west indies. and this is my take on the best xi of that country in post packer years to be pitted against the aussie team given above

greenidge
haynes
richards
lara
lloyd (c)
chanderpal
dujon (wk)
marshall
holding
ambrose
garner

reserves: walsh, richardson and gayle

for me, the aussie team's middle order's relative superiority (including gilchrist) will determine the outcome of a dream match between them. the bowling and the opening slots look pretty much even.

infact, ponting, g.chappell, border and s.waugh can be equal to any dream xi's middle order. four bloody minded aggressive bats. two of them being street fighters specializing in back to the wall situations and in working with the lower order and the two above them all round stroke makers capable of dominating any attack. i just wish ponting were included in this poll. would have given a chance to discuss punter vs chappell.
Man for Man let's see:

Greenidge >or= Hayden
Haynes= Langer
Richards> or = Ponting
Lara < or = Chappell
Lloyd < or = Border
Chanderpaul < S Waugh
Dujon << Gilchrist
MArshall= S Warne
Holding < or = Lillee
Ambrose = Mcgrath
Garner >> Reid

Pretty much even stevens if u ask me .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Man for Man let's see:

Greenidge >or= Hayden
Haynes= Langer
Richards> or = Ponting
Lara < or = Chappell
Lloyd < or = Border
Chanderpaul < S Waugh
Dujon << Gilchrist
MArshall= S Warne
Holding < or = Lillee
Ambrose = Mcgrath
Garner >> Reid

Pretty much even stevens if u ask me .
IMO

Hayden > Greenidge
Langer = Haynes
Ponting = Richards
Chappell = or > Lara
Border > Lloyd
Waugh > Chanderpaul
Gilchrist >> Dujon
Warne = Marshall
Lillee > Holding
McGrath = Ambrose
Reid < Garner

The bowling is very equal, although Australia's is more diverse. Batting it's distinctly better for Australia for mine.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm:

Greenidge > Hayden
Haynes = Langer
Richards > Ponting
Lara < Chappell
Lloyd < Border
Chanderpaul < S Waugh
Dujon < Gilchrist
Marshall > S Warne
Holding < Lillee
Ambrose < Mcgrath
Garner > Reid

Aussie win 6, WI win 4, one tie.

WI with the better top three, Australia with the better 4-7. Bowling is 2-2, but Reid is weaker than anyone that WI have, while WI's bowling lineup is absolutely brutal. Give them conditions like the Perth of Old, and I don't see them losing, even with McGrath and Lillee on the Australian side.

However, overall, Australian side is better, and I'd pick them in most games.

Aussies are better overall IMO.

When you select the composite side, mine would be:
  1. Greenidge
  2. Hayden
  3. Richards
  4. Ponting
  5. Chappell
  6. Lara
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Holding
  9. Marshall
  10. Lillee
  11. McGrath

That would annihilate many all time XI's.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Interesting that many of you put Chappell ahead of Lara.

If Lara is on song he would be the best batsmen in either team and would win the match on his own.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If Lara is on song he would be the best batsmen in either team and would win the match on his own.
TBF most of the players in the "best of" teams would do that on their day - Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist, Chappell; Richards, Greenidge, Lloyd, Lara - all pretty special..

Days of Grace

International Captain
That's true but I believe Lara was a cut above all of them at his absolute best. Only Richards and Gilchrist would challenge his ability to take the game away from the opposition.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's true but I believe Lara was a cut above all of them at his absolute best. Only Richards and Gilchrist would challenge his ability to take the game away from the opposition.
Lara's troughs were pretty bad though. In terms of consistenty winning games, someone like Chappell is a surer bet.

I say this as an unabashed Lara fan too and if your team needs a game-breaker, Lara is the man. But this team is quality from top to bottom so all things being equal, you'd go for the more consistent bloke I reckon.

bagapath

International Captain
Hmm:

1. Greenidge
  2. Hayden
  3. Richards
  4. Ponting
  5. Chappell
  6. Lara
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Holding
  9. Marshall
  10. Lillee
  11. McGrath

ah... SS! that team is a killer, i agree. in fact, this kind of puts all of us in agreement that g.chappell and punter > border and s. waugh. my combined xi would be slightly different because i cannot go into a test match without any spinner to make use of the old ball and to dominate the opposition on last 2 days' crumbling wicket.

so here is my combined WI - Aus Post Packer XI

greenidge
hayden
richards
g.chappell
ponting
lara
gilchrist (wk)
marshall
warne
lillee
mcgrath

reserves: ambrose, border and s.waugh

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmm:

Greenidge > Hayden
Haynes = Langer
Richards > Ponting
Lara < Chappell
Lloyd < Border
Chanderpaul < S Waugh
Dujon < Gilchrist
Marshall > S Warne
Holding < Lillee
Ambrose < Mcgrath
Garner > Reid

Aussie win 6, WI win 4, one tie.

WI with the better top three, Australia with the better 4-7. Bowling is 2-2, but Reid is weaker than anyone that WI have, while WI's bowling lineup is absolutely brutal. Give them conditions like the Perth of Old, and I don't see them losing, even with McGrath and Lillee on the Australian side.

However, overall, Australian side is better, and I'd pick them in most games.

Aussies are better overall IMO.

1. Greenidge
  2. Hayden
  3. Richards
  4. Ponting
  5. Chappell
  6. Lara
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Holding
  9. Marshall
  10. Lillee
  11. McGrath

Drop one of the quicks for Warne and I'd agree. Probably out of Holding or Lillee.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Lara was better than Ponting, but not Chappell IMO. I like Lara, but if I need some runs, I'd back Chappell over Lara.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't see Holding>Ambrose TBH.
Agree with this. Holding was a fine bowler but a jot below Ambrose.

I also agree with Days of Grace that Lara is potentially the best batsman on either side.

Of those two teams, I'd say that the WI had the edge, although it is incredibly close. There is no weak link in either team and both are magnificent all-round sides.

But frankly if you've got a bowling attack of Garner, Marshall and Ambrose it's better than anything Australia could field. IMO there's a respectable case for saying that those are the 3 best bowlers in history.