• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Matthew Hayden retire?

Should Matthew Hayden retire?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
I know he wants to go onto the 2009 Ashes, and cue him to fill his boots at the Adelaide Test against New Zealand, but should he quit while he is ahead and go out on his own terms then what is considered a form slump by his and anybodies standards and the list of people calling for his head get louder?

BTW no 3rd option as I want to know what people really think.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes, hopefully before the Ashes!!
From a neutral's perspective, not yet, he still has plenty of runs in the tank.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
yes, hurry up and piss off, you've had your time in the sun, spent years as a flat track bully, don't get me wrong he's done very well, but give someone else a go, never liked him anyway. Blood hughes

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If he doesn't pick up by the end of the summer he has to go. Even if it is only a slump, the man is getting on (an understatement) and who knows how long it could take him to get out of it? We're not short on quality opening batsmen in Australia and his performances recently can certainly be replaced.

He should retire from ODI's straight away IMO, no longer needed and isn't going to play the next WC.

masterblaster

International Captain
He's past his prime for mine. Wouldn't care regardless, but I think his time is up. Depends on how he goes in the South Africa series though, but I can see a guy like Steyn or Morkel causing him problems.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
As soon as Jaques recovers from his back injury I would like to see him retire. Or get dropped either one.

Precambrian

Banned
I think he's at the fag end of his career. Would wait how he fares against NZ this series. If he fails, I think it's time for him to review. His weaknesses are only going to amplify from here.

archie mac

International Coach
Showed some good signs in India, down on confidence, and just one big score away from finding his best form, still has a couple more years in him yet :cool:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, CA are waiting on our final decision:-O
When I said 'we' , I mean Cricket fans here on CW and beyond. How would you like others to be talking about your retirement ?

Hayden's retirement should be his decision, If his performance drops, he should be dropped but the retirement is his decision.