Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Speed

School Boy/Girl Captain Rebecca's Avatar

Bowling Speed

Please can someone tell me how I can find a bowler's bowling speed? Essentially, I want to know who, on average, bowls faster . . . Kallis or Flintoff?

Don't have any numbers behind this but I think Flintoff is generally faster than Kallis based on what I remember from the SA tour of England this past summer.

I think Flintoff was averaging about 86-90 mph and Kallis was doing 80-84 mph.

Flintoff is also classified as "fast" by cricinfo whereas Kallis is "fast medium" for what it's worth.
    Last edited by krkode; 17-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    Please can someone tell me how I can find a bowler's bowling speed? Essentially, I want to know who, on average, bowls faster . . . Kallis or Flintoff?
    As far as I know, bowling speeds cannot be found over the internet. However, take it from an avid follower of bowling speeds that Flintoff has the edge over Kallis in both Tests, ODIs and T20s as far as bowling speeds go.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Thank you both.
    I did google it but didn't come up with much.

On another forum, I was asking why Flintoff couldn't bat at 4 and another poster wrote that he couldn't be expected to thunder in bowling AND bat at 4 and I replied that kallis manages it. He then said, "Kallis bats and bowls SLOW. Don't think Kallis is a major part of the S African test attack." Would've been nice to have some facts and figures to say that there isn't much difference between them.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    His bowling is certainly not slow. Kallis has back problems, but he has been able to get up to 140kph in many cases. Certainly not slow. Flintoff's average is usually higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah that post about Kallis' bowling speed is kinda nonsensical, but there's no large-scale database that clocks the speed of every delivery ever recorded by a bowler along the lines of the many databases that contain cricket scorecards.

At least, not unless I'm very much mistaken.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

That's a pity and thanks for your help.

Is it fair to say then that Kallis has often bowled up to 140kph?

Perhaps not often, but suffice to say he has always been able to and still can bowl the odd ball there when he really tries.

Kallis is definitely a strong guy who is capable of thundering in at high speeds. But one thing I think they had right on this other forum of yours was that Kallis hasn't really been an integral part of the South African bowling lineup. I don't mean to diminish his all-rounder status as he is certainly the most accomplished batting all-rounder since the days of Sir Garfield Sobers, but his bowling has, for the most part, been a bonus compared to Flintoff, who is quite often England's top bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post
    Kallis is definitely a strong guy who is capable of thundering in at high speeds. But one thing I think they had right on this other forum of yours was that Kallis hasn't really been an integral part of the South African bowling lineup. I don't mean to diminish his all-rounder status as he is certainly the most accomplished batting all-rounder since the days of Sir Garfield Sobers, but his bowling has, for the most part, been a bonus compared to Flintoff, who is quite often England's top bowler.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Kallis is, and has been, capable of hitting good speeds but his bowling plays a secondary role to his batting.

That is probably a compliment to his batting rather than disrespectful to his bowling.

He doesnt bowl as much as he could as he believes it can effect his batting and that his batting is more important to SA than his bowling. Which, to be fair, is clearly true.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Banned

i tell you one thing

you think shuan tait is fast on tv? try standing directly behind the nets when he was in practice i almost **** myself. if only he could be more accurate more often im sure a lot more batsman are gonna piss their pants, not that they already dont already.

I think most people are aware that Tait is extremely fast, and that if he could ally this with his natural shape combined with a greater degree of accuracy and keeping a full length he'd be utterly deadly and would shatter stumps with considerable regularity.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Love going to practice and watching the test players ply their trade from about 2 metres away. It's fantastic.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rooey123 View Post
    you think shuan tait is fast on tv? try standing directly behind the nets when he was in practice i almost **** myself. if only he could be more accurate more often im sure a lot more batsman are gonna piss their pants, not that they already dont already.
    He needs to get his focus right and not get owerawed at the big stage, namely test cricket. In ODIs, he is becoming the next Bond, absolutely deadly.

Banned
    As for the initial discussion, I agree with what the above posts,

1. Kallis is in the team more as a batsman who can occassionally bowl. Flintoff is primarily in for his bowling prowess than batting.

2. Kallis speeds from what I watched ranges from 130-135 kph, though he sends down the rare 140 kph thing. Flintoff on the other hand, consistently bowls above 140 kph.

3. In terms of calories burnt per delivery, I don't think there are many bowlers who can rival the effort that Flintoff puts into every ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information