• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Openers for the ODI's

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
tbh I was persuaded by your comments about playing Mascarenhas instead of Wright :)

Going back to the bowlers, I gather that Bresnan is our other option. Any thoughts on the lad lately?
Nothing apart from that he is clearly a better bowler this year than last season but that isnt saying much. He is making moves in the right direction but it still a long way from an International calibre bowler.

Id be very worried about our depth if he was the genuinely the next option. But I have no issue with him playing 'Lions' games etc. He isnt good enough yet and probably never will be, but at least we are giving him a chance to find out at the developmental level. That is good. Playing him for the big boys isnt.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My side would be something like:

Mustard
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Patel
Wright or someone - meh
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

The ones after that would be Simon Jones, Panesar, Shah, Tremlett, Bopara, Mascarenhas and maybe Napier. I don't really like Bopara or Shah as they've been useless previously - would look to replace them with young batsmen who've done well lately. The batting is the main problem area I think

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
My side would be something like:

Mustard
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Patel
Wright or someone - meh
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

The ones after that would be Simon Jones, Panesar, Shah, Tremlett, Bopara, Mascarenhas and maybe Napier. I don't really like Bopara or Shah as they've been useless previously - would look to replace them with young batsmen who've done well lately. The batting is the main problem area I think
As has the man at the top of your batting list.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As has the man at the top of your batting list.
Not really, he's had far fewer games and done okay overall in ODI and Twenty20 as he keeps wicket as well.

Unlike Bopara and Shah who have proven over lots of games that they can neither score quickly or average much and one of them's is also a rubbish fielder to boot.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Not really, he's had far fewer games and done okay overall in ODI and Twenty20 as he keeps wicket as well.

Unlike Bopara and Shah who have proven over lots of games that they can neither score quickly or average much and one of them's is also a rubbish fielder to boot.
1 50 in ten innings. Unlike Shah and Bopara (previously), they haven't been able to post big scores consistently due to their position in the batting line up. Though Mustard has opened all his innings. Also, 2nd highest score being only 31.

pup11

International Coach
Would be very surprised if Flintoff made a success of opening in ODIs.
Flintoff is hopeless against spin, so the best bet is him opening and getting a crack at new hard ball with ball coming nicely onto the bat and with some pace to work with, England needs to use the power-plays in a better way, so they need some attacking players at the top, so i wouldn't mind Flintoff and Cook/Bell opening.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I'd be surprised if either Flintoff or Mustard would be a complete success at the top. Don't believe Mustard has done enough to warrant an England place, he averaged a mere 21.20 in the FP Trophy this season, which is not good enough.

Woodster

International Captain
I would quite like the look of the following side, with a couple of selections to be confirmed :

1. I. Bell
2. M.Prior
3. O.Shah
4. K.Pietersen
5. R.Bopara
6. P.Collingwood
7. A.Flintoff
8. S.Broad / D.Mascarenhas / G.Napier etc
9. G.Swann
10. R.Sidebottom
11. J.Anderson

Alistair Cook I still think has a future in the one-day squad and much will depend on his Essex limited overs form and Ian Bell's potential to score big at the top of the innings. I think Bell is a little more proactive in the shorter form, and his ability to go over the top and exploit the early fielding restrictions gives him the nod, although Denly and Key from Kent are making excellent cases for their selection.

While I'm not totally sold on Shah, he does deserve the chance to show what he can do, and batting at number three he is certainly going to get the chance.

KP, Bopara, Colly and Freddie for me is a very strong middle order with very good players that know how to bat in the closing stages, while KP and Bopara will look to make match telling contributions more frequently.

The number 8 spot is still imo, open to offers. Napier has to prove he can consistenly perform at the level he has shown recently (his opening spell in the FP final was mightily impressive, pace and direction), Broad I would not like to rush but he has impressed in his brief ODI career to date and adds more depth to the batting. Mascarenhas gives an option of pace off the ball and thunderous hitting in the closing stages.

Swann is still the best ODI spinner, just ahead of Monty, while Anderson and Sidebottom complete the attack. A fully fit Simon Jones would certainly find a way into the eleven, although sadly he is out injured again.

bryce

International Regular
My lineup would have more bowling cover when Collingwood returns: as it stands, we're relying on Bopara as a 6th option. That's not perfect, but a batsman less would worry me even more.
I'd say Bopara is an ideal sixth option because you don't need to rely on a sixth option to bowl too many overs, plus Bell/Pietersen/Shah can bowl fill-in overs if it came to that

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
btw, sorry abt taking this off topic a bit, but what is the scoop on Rob Joseph... Saw him in the FP Trophy final bowling at 140+ Ks and getting the ball to move both ways... Think he would be someone to look out for in the next couple of years in terms of England selection?

Was extremely impressed even though I only watched him for like 5 or 6 overs.. So would love to get some details on the guy..

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I assume all this talk about part timers is because of Collingwood's ban, as he is by far the best 6th bowling option England would have when you talk about the likes of Wright, Bopara and Patel.

As for Mustard, in his rather ordinary ODI career he's at least struck at 92.46, approx 20 more than Matt Prior. Given you have Bell at the other end, having two people strike at around 70-75 isn't going to help you much in powerplays.

FTR, IMO:

1. Mustard+
2. Bell
3. Pietersen*
4. Collingwood
5. Trott
6. Patel
7. Flintoff
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Sidebottom
11. Anderson

Woodster

International Captain
By the way what's Davies like as a keeper? Never seen him
He has always seemed tidy enough when I've seen him, although I don't believe he's talked about as one of the best keepers on the county circuit.
His batting looks decent, but still some way to go,in both disciplines, before he really pushes the other keepers that are in contention. (ie Prior, Ambrose, Foster, Mustard).

Woodster

International Captain
btw, sorry abt taking this off topic a bit, but what is the scoop on Rob Joseph... Saw him in the FP Trophy final bowling at 140+ Ks and getting the ball to move both ways... Think he would be someone to look out for in the next couple of years in terms of England selection?

Was extremely impressed even though I only watched him for like 5 or 6 overs.. So would love to get some details on the guy..
A much improved bowler this season, also took 5-13 in a Pro40 game yesterday, bowling Derbyshire out for 60, and has found some rhythm since becoming a more regular feature in the side. Antiguan-born and 26 years old so still has time on his side.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I quite like Bell as an opener because it forces him to be positive, which is when he's at his (excellent) best.

The jury is out on Prior in the opener's role but he's several leagues ahead of the likes of Mustard (:laugh:) as a batsman.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The jury is out on Prior in the opener's role but he's several leagues ahead of the likes of Mustard (:laugh:) as a batsman.
Hmm, but at least when Mustard gets out he does it quickly. In many ways his trademark 20~ off 18 balls is more useful than if Prior were to score 40 off 80 during the powerplays, especially on very flat pitches.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A much improved bowler this season, also took 5-13 in a Pro40 game yesterday, bowling Derbyshire out for 60, and has found some rhythm since becoming a more regular feature in the side. Antiguan-born and 26 years old so still has time on his side.
that is quite good to hear.. Does he get the ball to move or cut both ways even when conditions dont favour or is he heavily dependant on conditions to get that kind of movement?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I assume all this talk about part timers is because of Collingwood's ban, as he is by far the best 6th bowling option England would have when you talk about the likes of Wright, Bopara and Patel.

As for Mustard, in his rather ordinary ODI career he's at least struck at 92.46, approx 20 more than Matt Prior. Given you have Bell at the other end, having two people strike at around 70-75 isn't going to help you much in powerplays.

FTR, IMO:

1. Mustard+
2. Bell
3. Pietersen*
4. Collingwood
5. Trott
6. Patel
7. Flintoff
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Sidebottom
11. Anderson