• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

list of batsman who you generally consider to be lucky/ unlucky

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alistair Cook has to be up there as far as lucky batsmen go. Looks like getting out almost all the time and hes had a fair few umpiring decisions and dropped catches in his favor.
He uses his feet so little it's amazing he scores any runs opening the batting. He reminds me of Graeme Smith, in that his supreme strengths in some areas make up for obvious and well-documented big technical faults in others.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really keep track of batsmen's luck or unluck, tbh, but off the top of my head.

Lucky: Andy Symonds
Unlucky: Sachin Tendulkar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't believe over the course of a long career, there really can be batsmen who get an unusual amount of good or bad luck. That's not to say that luck evens itself out, but over a player's career (and life), if you count all little pieces and big pieces of luck one way or the other there'll be little variation between batsmen.
As I say - in my experience, if you look carefully, you'll see that's simply not true and a tale told to assuage those unfairly done by and give credit to those who do not deserve it.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I think Lara wasn't necesserily that unlucky but one thing you could always be sure of with him is the fact that if he thought he was out with something like a caught behind he would always walk very few batsman do that now and that causes them to get 'lucky' decisions

Of the recent Australia West Indies series there was a lot of ridiculous decisions that swung the test match Dwane Bravo had at least a couple bad decision in that test series and Symopnds had a couple 'lucky' decisions

Uppercut

As I say - in my experience, if you look carefully, you'll see that's simply not true and a tale told to assuage those unfairly done by and give credit to those who do not deserve it.
Not really. You can't possibly look carefully enough. Unless you've watched every player's career from day one. And over school and underage cricket, club cricket, first class cricket and international cricket, and if you count all luck and not just the bits you personally choose to, they'll all have more or less the same experience. So what matters, as i said above, is WHEN they have their luck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really. You can't possibly look carefully enough. Unless you've watched every player's career from day one. And over school and underage cricket, club cricket, first class cricket and international cricket, and if you count all luck and not just the bits you personally choose to, they'll all have more or less the same experience.
I don't only count the bits I choose to, that'd be silly, and I've seen one hell of a lot of batsmen even in the relatively short time I've watched the game. The more cricket you get in, the less likely it is that two batsmen are going to have the same amount or even a comparable amount.

I generally only look at Test cricket when doing stuff like looking at who's been lucky - other levels are separate and much harder to get requistite data for. You'd be guessing there.

Uppercut

The more cricket you get in, the less likely it is that two batsmen are going to have the same amount or even a comparable amount.
That is an absolute travesty of a statement. Your understanding of probability is far too weak to even speak with you on this particular topic, it seems.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I understand probability perfectly well. The more you play, the less likely become the chances of you having the same amount of luck, proportionally, as someone else.

Napier16

Banned
Expanding this from simply batsman to cricketers in general, then Panesar.

Nearly all his wickets have come from LBW's which wouldn't have been given in the time before his emergence, with which the new hawkeye based umpiring outlook coincided.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That is an absolute travesty of a statement. Your understanding of probability is far too weak to even speak with you on this particular topic, it seems.
"of probability" & "on this particular topic" are superfluous in your second sentence, as you'll doubtless discover if you stick around and expose yourself to enough of Dicko.

You'll develop a hatred of adverbs too.

Uppercut

"of probability" & "on this particular topic" are superfluous in your second sentence, as you'll doubtless discover if you stick around and expose yourself to enough of Dicko.

You'll develop a hatred of adverbs too.
:laugh:

Ack, his opinions usually at least have decent logic behind them. I haven't heard anything else quite as utterly and horribly, umm, wrong, as:

"The more you play, the less likely become the chances of you having the same amount of luck, proportionally, as someone else."

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Ack, his opinions usually at least have decent logic behind them. I haven't heard anything else quite as utterly and horribly, umm, wrong, as:

"The more you play, the less likely become the chances of you having the same amount of luck, proportionally, as someone else."
Yes perhaps we might have a poll about what that sentence means?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gerhardus Liebenberg - Unlucky.. One of the best batsmen I've seen domestically and always got sawn off to duff decisions. Only ended up averaging 37 domestically. Particularly remember him being on the end of Javed Akhtar during his brief and unsuccesful test career..

Uppercut

Yes perhaps we might have a poll about what that sentence means?
He appears to be saying that if you toss a coin 10000 times you're less likely to have something close to a 50-50 split than if you toss it 10 times. Year 2 mathematics will help deal with this belief.

Burgey

Well that's an unlucky player more than an unlucky batsman.

I've re-examined Dean Jones' Test record quite a bit recently, and it flatters him grossly. Did he deserve to be dropped for Stephen Waugh? Possibly not. But was the drop coming soon? Very probably.
Thank God. He scored a lot of test runs in dead rubbers, nws his great innings in the Madras tie in 86.
In a list of bowlers, Botham would top my list. He had an uncanny ability to get wickets form seemingly innocuous deliveries. Warne was a lucky bowler too.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He appears to be saying that if you toss a coin 10000 times you're less likely to have something close to a 50-50 split than if you toss it 10 times. Year 2 mathematics will help deal with this belief.
I'm saying nothing of the sort. How it's possible to misinterpret what I said as that is beyond me TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Paul Collingwood is an unlucky cricketer imo. Gets unfairly lambasted for mine.
Well yeah but any lambastation is unfair for you. And he has been a lucky batsman of times, but probably not these days (hasn't had much if any in the last year) all that much more than anyone else.