• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWers Playing at the Highest Level

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think that is going to be the thing that will eventually stop me from being any good. Fear of doing badly and letting myself down. Not much I can do about it TBH.
Nah there a tonne of professional sportsmen who have this same feeling, I think it's part of what drives them to suceed. Just as an example, Jonny Wilkinson used to wake up in the middle of the night before as much as an U14s friendly game on a Sunday, he may not seem it when he plays, but he gets incredibly nervous and anxious about his performance.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I went on tour to Cumbria once and played at a club ground that was supposedly the highest above sea level in England.

As we were touring (so they said - I suspect in truth they did it every week) , and no doubt in part because we were bowling last, we got pints of Hartleys XB at tea - in fact our opening bowlers got as many as they wanted

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First XI Uni team.

Batting average is suprisingly higher than my bowling average too. (13 & 12)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah there a tonne of professional sportsmen who have this same feeling, I think it's part of what drives them to suceed.
We are all correct. Trust me, some feed on it, others get eaten alive by it.

Same emotion with different manifestations.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I guess I'd fall into the latter. I reckon I have the talent to do pretty well, but I couldn't handle the pressure or anything like that. I mean, I get really nervous before any type of match, not just the old rep games. I'd hate to think what I'd feel like in my first FC game....

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the current discussion, but I feel really pumped and usually end up bowling pretty well when I am selected for a high level, but when the pressure is not on me to perform, I usually wilt and bowl slowly and inaccurately.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, I guess I do actually enjoy playing hockey when everything is at stake, often in the Yorkshire Premier League, so it is quite a high level. Not sure why it differs so much from hockey to cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is my sixth year of Premier cricket. Played two 2nd XI games for Victoria, well before I was ready. I think I have a bit of a black mark against my name because of my performances in those matches, but what can you do? Had my best season last year, took 38 wickets (10th in the competition) at about 25. Part of the "High Performance Academy" or whatever claptrap Cricket Victoria have renamed it this year.

I guess the one thing that I'm aware of is that as a spinner, there's still plenty of time and I'm still only 21. Have your good and bad seasons, learn more about your bowling and what works for you, and in three or four years I hope to be closer to having the game for the next level.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
erm...Heath ?

I came to the 2nd higest level of holland...but that is just holland :p
played Holland U19 development team as well...

my money is on heath being the most succesive lol
Depends if you reckon Heath is Heath or not, I suppose...

FRAZ

International Captain
My story is a lil different keeping in view the bizarre circumstances, in which I played my cricket (Not the security issues) . A very very old and still surviving cricket club was my nursery and that team always played the Quaid e Azam U19 and occasionally the players were sent to play for FC departments like Sui Northern and all that . Can't go in further details but like I was never part of a regular team but I played a lot in school and college
(FC ) . The record keeping and all that BS cannot be described by me because the scorer clowns make tons of mistakes in many ways . Yes I played cricket in the poor atmosphere .

aussie tragic

International Captain
This is my sixth year of Premier cricket. Played two 2nd XI games for Victoria, well before I was ready. I think I have a bit of a black mark against my name because of my performances in those matches, but what can you do? Had my best season last year, took 38 wickets (10th in the competition) at about 25. Part of the "High Performance Academy" or whatever claptrap Cricket Victoria have renamed it this year.

I guess the one thing that I'm aware of is that as a spinner, there's still plenty of time and I'm still only 21. Have your good and bad seasons, learn more about your bowling and what works for you, and in three or four years I hope to be closer to having the game for the next level.
That's pretty impressive. How many other spinners are in the performance squad?

http://www.cricketvictoria.com.au/p...t&plugin_data_id=23339;group_name=bushrangers

BoyBrumby

Englishman

How Irish are you vic, just out of curiousity? If you qualify for an EU passport you could be playing for us in 4 years... :p

Never even played for the school first XI myself, which always rankles slightly as I did for football & union. Both of which I was considerably better at, admittedly.